Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Looking for a new job while pregnant

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 11:28 am
I'm the OP of this thread:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04984

Is it crazy to look for a new job while pregnant? My current job offers 1 week of PTO for maternity leave and then 6 weeks unpaid. I understand this is pretty standard, so I'm not hoping to find something better at this point.

It's gotten to the point where I'm extremely resentful of my job, but I don't want to quit now if I don't have another option. Is it worth looking into a new job? I'm due IYH around Sukkos.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 11:30 am
I started working in my current job when I was pg with my oldest daughter. That was 25 years ago.

No, not crazy. A good job is a long term situation, and pg is not (BH!)

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 11:31 am
It's a gamble. I took a new job at 6 weeks pregnant. I'm glad I took it but don't love it and plan to quit after giving birth.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 11:37 am
Chayalle wrote:
I started working in my current job when I was pg with my oldest daughter. That was 25 years ago.

No, not crazy. A good job is a long term situation, and pg is not (BH!)

My other concern is how open would they be to discuss maternity leave and should I mention it to them when I get hired?

The thought of giving a 6-7 week old newborn away to daycare seems barbaric to me. The one daycare I know of only takes from 3 mos.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
My other concern is how open would they be to discuss maternity leave and should I mention it to them when I get hired?

The thought of giving a 6-7 week old newborn away to daycare seems barbaric to me. The one daycare I know of only takes from 3 mos.

Aren't you going to have to send out your baby regardless of where you're working? I would be hesitant about needed to say anything at this early stage. You can ask general what is their policy about mat. leave.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:14 pm
Hm I would recommend staying at your current job, given your desire for a long maternity leave. I don’t think it makes sense to start a new job, get trained then disappear for a few months. You’ll need to be retrained at that point.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm the OP of this thread:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04984

Is it crazy to look for a new job while pregnant? My current job offers 1 week of PTO for maternity leave and then 6 weeks unpaid. I understand this is pretty standard, so I'm not hoping to find something better at this point.

It's gotten to the point where I'm extremely resentful of my job, but I don't want to quit now if I don't have another option. Is it worth looking into a new job? I'm due IYH around Sukkos.

I took a new job @ 5 mnths pg. I love it and don't regret it

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:26 pm
Not sure where you live but you can apply for PFL in NY and NJ and get (some) money for up to 18 (?) weeks.
You do need to be working with the firm for 26 consecutive weeks to be eligible.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:39 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Not sure where you live but you can apply for PFL in NY and NJ and get (some) money for up to 18 (?) weeks.
You do need to be working with the firm for 26 consecutive weeks to be eligible.

Not applicable, but thanks!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:40 pm
amother Dill wrote:
I took a new job @ 5 mnths pg. I love it and don't regret it

Did you tell them (was it obvious?)? Did they make any issues?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics