Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How long before asking for a raise?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:34 am
I started a new job about 2.5 months ago at a beginner salary, really low rate. Is it too soon to ask for a raise? I mean, I would wait two weeks until I've been working there for a full three months.
Six months?
Year?

Highstrung

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:40 am
From indeed.com

How often should you ask for a raise?
If you recently started a job, wait a minimum of six months to ask for a raise. Most employers are more likely to give you a raise if you have been with the company for at least a year or more. If you have been with the company for multiple years, then you can ask once a year. This "rule" may differ if your employer plans to discuss your compensation during a performance review. If this is the case, plan your talking points before this discussion so you have as much leverage as possible.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:45 am
Did you discuss it with your employer before starting? I know people who started on low wages with the premise that if their work was good and they were doing well, their wage would be re-evaluated after a few months.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:52 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Did you discuss it with your employer before starting? I know people who started on low wages with the premise that if their work was good and they were doing well, their wage would be re-evaluated after a few months.

I’ve done this at my interview where we discussed it in advance and once the 3 month period rolled around I was automatically increased. . It was part of the agreement. But if you did not have this discussion, it’s my understanding that you wait at least 6 months .

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:54 am
Did you prove yourself yet and show any accomplishments?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:17 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
Did you prove yourself yet and show any accomplishments?

Yes, and I was also offered a significantly higher rate from another company.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:22 pm
Usually 6 months but u can try bringing it up earlier and be open to the idea that the raise may only take place at 6 mos.

lulugann

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:34 pm
I think we often are too worried about waiting. You started with a really low salary, so ask. What's the worst case scenario? Tell them that you started with the assumption that if you proved yourself, you would get raised to an acceptable number for your job. You can also mention that you have gotten an offer from someone else too. Maybe wait two more weeks if you think that makes sense, but not 6!

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:23 pm
I personally would wait till 4-5 months at least. I'm chicken in general with this stuff and and waited a year.
I will say, it really depends on how desperate your company is. Where I work, an office nursing home related, they were very very desperate a few months ago and were giving nice raises to everyone that asked, since they couldn't afford losing anyone, as there were staffing shortages.
However, they hired a few people for my department in the last few months and I know someone that asked for a raise last week and didn't get it, and she threatened to leave, and was told to go.
They were upset at her asking for a big raise so soon (her situation was pretty bad, she got hired, didn't start right away, and when she showed up on her first day, she was visibly pregnant, then she took off extended for the birth and maternity leave, and then demanded this raise before agreeing to come back. the 5 months spent in the office was just being trained)

Basically, my point is that before asking or deciding when to ask, know how desperate your department is to keep you.

mikayla18

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, and I was also offered a significantly higher rate from another company.

Then why not make your employer at least match or jump ship?

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:16 am
Are you having a 3-month review? Can you ask for one? You could bring it up then...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:51 pm
So surprisingly, my boss called me over today to offer me a raise. I was shocked and flustered - was not prepared for this conversation; I was planning on bringing it up after Pesach- so although I told her the rate I was offered but she refused to match it, I stupidly didn't even try to compromise but rather just accepted her offer. I definitely should have asked for $1-2 more an hour, but now it's probably too late.

I don't want to leave to go to that other company.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:05 pm
It’s very hard to think on your feet! I’ve been there too. Didn’t negotiate when I could have and it still upsets me to think about it.

Hopefully you’ll be able to negotiate for higher sometime soon.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
It’s very hard to think on your feet! I’ve been there too. Didn’t negotiate when I could have and it still upsets me to think about it.

Hopefully you’ll be able to negotiate for higher sometime soon.

Yeah, it even occurred to me that she may have approached me first for that reason, before I had time to plan my strategy Wink

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:40 pm
I think you can still write a follow up email if it didn’t go into affect yet.

Thank you for approaching me earlier today and presenting me a rise.
I value working here and with our company.

It was hard for me to think on my feet and I was not prepared for the conversation right then. However, I have been thinking about asking for one too, and as I mentioned I got another offer at a higher rate. I understand at this time you cannot match that offer, and I respect that.

I would like to ask for xxx , as this seems like a fair rate.

Please let me know if you can accommodate this.

Thanks again,

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 2:52 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
I think you can still write a follow up email if it didn’t go into affect yet.

Thank you for approaching me earlier today and presenting me a rise.
I value working here and with our company.

It was hard for me to think on my feet and I was not prepared for the conversation right then. However, I have been thinking about asking for one too, and as I mentioned I got another offer at a higher rate. I understand at this time you cannot match that offer, and I respect that.

I would like to ask for xxx , as this seems like a fair rate.

Please let me know if you can accommodate this.

Thanks again,

Do you really think I can do this? Is it socially appropriate?

Except it would probably need to be by phone call or to talk to her in person, since that is the best way to communicate with her.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 3:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you really think I can do this? Is it socially appropriate?

Except it would probably need to be by phone call or to talk to her in person, since that is the best way to communicate with her.

She might be annoyed and you are a very new employee.

happyone

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:55 pm
In most businesses, your first 90 days are probationary. One usually doesn't ask or get offered a raise during that time. Nice of them to offer so soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics