Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do u reply to bris invitation?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:26 pm
Or do you just write- mt, IYH will be there?

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:34 pm
We don't invite for a bris (I forget why, some more educated imas might know). We just "notify"/"inform".

Responding can be a neder. AYLOR

gr82no

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:37 pm
It’s not an invitation.
I respond Mazel tov and if I will be there I say

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:38 pm
You just reply Mazel tov
You don’t say that you will come, because if you do then you have to go. We also don’t invite to a bris, we just inform others of the time and location
The reason I remember hearing by my first (I’ve made many brissim bh, I don’t have any girls!) is that eliyahu hanavi is present at a bris and if you say you will come then you have to. Now I’m realizing that I’m still unclear on the reasons

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:39 pm
You shouldn't be getting an actual invitation. Just an announcement of the date/time/location. So, no need to RSVP.

kenz

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:48 pm
amother Brass wrote:
We don't invite for a bris (I forget why, some more educated imas might know). We just "notify"/"inform".

Responding can be a neder. AYLOR

We don't invite to a bris because it is known that Eliyahu Hanavi attends every bris (we even have a special chair put aside for him) and it would be considered disrespectful to be invited to a simchah where you know Eliyahu Hanavi will be and decline the invitation. Therefore we just inform everyone of the time and place, so that no one will be forced to decline.

kenz

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:49 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
You just reply Mazel tov
You don’t say that you will come, because if you do then you have to go. We also don’t invite to a bris, we just inform others of the time and location
The reason I remember hearing by my first (I’ve made many brissim bh, I don’t have any girls!) is that eliyahu hanavi is present at a bris and if you say you will come then you have to. Now I’m realizing that I’m still unclear on the reasons

Saw this after I posted my reply; you have the correct reason. It's so that we're not being disrespectful to Eliyahu Hanavi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette