Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When do you plan on turning over?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 6:46 pm
Normally in such a year I would kasher Motze Shabbos, line everything and shop Sunday and start cooking Sunday night. I b'shita don't cook the day of bedikas chometz since all the last minute shopping (fresh fruits and veggies) happens then and we also do a lot of last minute cleaning.

This year, however, I am pregnant, and I have a toddler too. I also have older kids but they aren't very helpful in the kitchen. I need to be realistic about my energy levels, so I hope to kasher Wednesday night. Line and shop on Thursday so that I can start baking Friday.

For Shabbos we will eat downstairs where I have a sink and my extra freezer, I set up a folding table and that becomes our chometz station in the week before Pesach. I usually end up selling the whole room anyway (after a thorough vacuum of the floor since we don't sell chometz). I plan to cook doubles of everything the week before (soup, cholent, chicken, kugel, ferfel) and whatever cannot be done, we will buy ready-made (fish, challah).

DustyDiamonds

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:06 pm
I’m going back and forth if I should turn over the Wednesday before Pesach or Motzai Shabbos.

I’d just hate to plan to turn over Motzai Shabbos and then everyone’s too tired and it turns into a Sunday afternoon activity, and what if I’m not feeling energetic on Monday/Tuesday? I really hate cooking on YT so I want it all done before. And we’ll be home the whole YT.

On the other hand, turning over a week before and having the family eat outside or in the garage with microwaves for a week will also be stressful!

I should put up a poll, I’m losing sleep over this!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 12:47 am
For me Motzei Shabbos. That way we can have a regular Shabbos but I have time to start cooking.

I don't actually cook much before Pesach, but a lot of my building block foods are best done (or need to be done) before Yom Tov. So I'll juice lemons, boil and strain sugar, crack nuts, check salt, check lettuce, saute onions for flavoring, and repackage all of my fish and meat into ready-to-use pans so the actual cooking is not stressful.

I also hope to have all of my ices made, a huge batch of applesauce in small containers for noshing, lots of mini kugels for hungry people, and tons of hard boiled eggs.

Then Erev Yom Tov I'll actually cook the meals.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:26 am
I don't have a pesach kitchen and need to cook for three days before erev pesach. Erev pesach it's kearah items and clean up. I do not cook on YT. that would kill my simchas YT.

So I need to cook sun Mon tues.
I'm nervous to just turnover motzei shabbos because it takes me FOREVER to cover....

Ppl who are turning over motzei shabbos, what does that mean?

It would mean for me something like
Fridge and freezer Thursday night (I take out shelves and drawers, wash in bath, dry, wash interior, return)
Stovetop, sink, counter, friday?
Self clean oven and kasher sinks motzei shabbos
Cover counters and stovetop takes me hours...Subaru? Star with potato kugels and dessert Sunday night?

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:44 am
A week before pesach. I dont know how you do it all in 2-3 days, I cook from morning to night and I need all that time. I cook full yom tov besides for all the foods that need to be fresh such as salmon, salads ect. I need my yt to relax and enjoy. I do host and just hosting, setting up, serving, clearing away, cleanup is more than enough work for me.
I will admit I dont know how to cook basic, I make full courses with a nice variety and although I can choose to make simpler its not me and ive never been able to do that yet. I also like my home being calm and functional and the only way I find we can achieve that is by being very organized and giving myself that extra time.

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:45 am
Tuesday night after bedikas chometz. I do that every year.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:45 am
and just to clarify we will be eating challah shabbos hagadol but the meal will be cooked with pesach food.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:55 am
I plan to clean my kitchen on Sunday and my son will turn over on Monday while I'm at work. The joys of bein hazmanim 😉.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:12 am
I hope to turn over some time during the week before the week of Pesach. Whenever I'm ready.

Last year I did some upgrades to my kitchen, so needed new coverings for the counters. We ended up using an Amazon cheaper version of the Kosher Dekal. And though it wasn't as bad as some people's experience, it was basically a disaster getting off, with loads of stickiness and goo. Not doing it again.

So this year, we are back to square one, having to cut counter covers, etc....so it's gonna be a big job. I think I'm going to try thick plastic tablecloths and tape. Bonus is the table will match the counters! It'll probably take me the greater part of a day just to switch over, so Sunday is my best bet.....

Lkwdmom4

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:59 am
For everyone planning to turn over Motzei Shabbos, do you work the week of Pesach? My husband would like to wait until after Shabbos to turn over but he's not available that Sunday to help and I need to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday which leaves me minimal time to cook.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:45 am
I work until around 3:30.
I am planning on turning over either motzei shabbos or sunday morning.
I will spend sunday lining and shopping, and if I am really successful, start some cooking sunday night. Then cook after work on monday and tuesday.

Unless this is a crazy idea, since I have little kids and a nursing infant.

Not sure.

Should I turn over like the thursday before? But then what do you do for shabbos? so so confusing...

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:45 am
small bean wrote:
Tuesday night after bedikas chometz. I do that every year.

when do you cook?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:47 am
I’m surprised so many people not turning over until after shabbos… it takes me a whole day to cover stoves and counters… then the big pesach shopping… I need a good week to cook so much food. We’re a medium sized family hosting a family of 5 for first days and a family of 3(adults) second days. I don’t want to be stuck in my kitchen all pesach! I hate when I can’t take my kids on a chol hamoed trip because I need to stay home and cook.
A week is barely enough time for me. My husband doesn’t help. Neither do my kids. I think if it makes your pesach easier you should definitely turn over before shabbos. You can eat challah in another room… all chometz last few days in another room. Definitely doable if you plan ahead what will work for you.

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 10:12 am
We plan to kasher the Sunday after Rosh Chodesh, be"H. I have about an hour each day that week available to work on prep. Finish covering and unpacking after work Monday. Bake Tuesday, cook mains and soups Wednesday through Friday, freeze it all. The week of YT, Sunday through Wednesday will be for buying fresh produce, checking and prepping veggies (including lettuce) and dips, preparing rooms for guests (this year, we have to do some intense baby proofing), cleaning the chometz area (DR), etc.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 1:47 pm
Kashering and covering the whole kitchen takes me not more than a few hours. Having the right equipment makes it go a whole lot faster.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 2:14 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I hope to turn over some time during the week before the week of Pesach. Whenever I'm ready.

Last year I did some upgrades to my kitchen, so needed new coverings for the counters. We ended up using an Amazon cheaper version of the Kosher Dekal. And though it wasn't as bad as some people's experience, it was basically a disaster getting off, with loads of stickiness and goo. Not doing it again.

So this year, we are back to square one, having to cut counter covers, etc....so it's gonna be a big job. I think I'm going to try thick plastic tablecloths and tape. Bonus is the table will match the counters! It'll probably take me the greater part of a day just to switch over, so Sunday is my best bet.....

Corrugated plastic is very nice, and counts as two coverings.

Also, you can reuse them. We reused three years in a row so far.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 2:30 pm
amother Tan wrote:
I’m surprised so many people not turning over until after shabbos… it takes me a whole day to cover stoves and counters… then the big pesach shopping… I need a good week to cook so much food. We’re a medium sized family hosting a family of 5 for first days and a family of 3(adults) second days. I don’t want to be stuck in my kitchen all pesach! I hate when I can’t take my kids on a chol hamoed trip because I need to stay home and cook.
A week is barely enough time for me. My husband doesn’t help. Neither do my kids. I think if it makes your pesach easier you should definitely turn over before shabbos. You can eat challah in another room… all chometz last few days in another room. Definitely doable if you plan ahead what will work for you.

Pesach shopping can be done well before you change over. Buy all non-perishable foods as soon as the stores carry them, ask the store to box and tape it for you, and keep in a Pesach cleaned area where it won't be tampered (depending on where I lived and my family's stage, I've put it in the basement, a corner of my kids' room, a corner of my own room, etc.)

I have a very good perishable list and while I'm doing the last bits of covering and unpacking, DH and the little kids go get them. I might have to go again, but it makes sure that we have the essentials to begin cooking and have what to eat. One day I hope to have a second fridge so I can do the perishables in advance, too.

I happen to enjoy cooking very much and hate CHM trips. It's a great excuse for me to send DH with the kids and putter in the kitchen at home to my heart's content. I will usually go on one trip day and cook the rest. My mother, though, hates cooking on YT and cooks everything in advance. Maybe its my reaction to the extreme stress she puts herself under and the lack of fresh food second days?! Whatever. Everyone needs to do what works for them!

DH helps in non-cleaning and cooking ways. He'll shop (calling every 10 minutes with questions), shlep, and do childcare. He also makes sure the car gets cleaned. He's also a great cheerleader and listens patiently to my stress and kvetching!

My kids are too little to help in a functional way. They "help" and undo plenty!!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics