Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3-day yom tov with ONLY CHILD - help!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

kermit

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 3:56 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Can you try teaching him some older type board games, they take longer and are way more enjoyable for me. Phase 10 is a card game we like with rummikub types of rules that takes a while and ticket to ride is a favorite, my kids can play it from 6 or 7.
Is there a Jewish library near you? There are tons of Jewish graphic novels if he’s read the secular ones, better if you can borrow because they’re pricey but it you want to buy there are many to choose from.
If you’re looking for a toy, marble run is good for that age but you may need more than one set for it to be really fun.

do you know if there's a jewish library in boro park?
I end up going to the secular one out of desperation and flipping through them first, and very occasionally buying a jewish one cuz he reads so fast it's not worth investing in these $25 books

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 3:58 pm
Out of the box idea. Leave your oven on at 350 and bake a Pesach cake with him one of the Yom Tov days (to be eaten immediately so it’s not hachana). Teach him how to crack the eggs, mix the batter and so on.

Buy multi-color napkins and Pesach themed plates and have him set the table for you. Send him to Shul with your husband as often as possible.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 3:58 pm
kermit wrote:
Thank you these look great!

**To the pple asking about why no lego and playmobile

He has 3 playmobile sets -- firetruck, policestation, and a playground. he does still play with the police one with me shabbos sometimes but he's outgrowing it -- he's not such a menchy guy in general he's like a 'bang bang smash destroy with monster trucks" kind of kid

he HATES lego -- he has a bin from a cousin and he'll play a bit. I've showed him kits in Toys4U and he doesn't want Sad I know, it's weird he just says 'no I don't want', when I was his age I would have DIED for a fancy set)
He might not get what the Lego sets are about. Would you consider just buying a set or 2 and leaving it out as an option?

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 3:59 pm
cookier wrote:

PicassoTiles 100 Pcs Magnetic Building Block Mini Diamond Series Travel Size On-The-Go Magnet Construction Toy Set STEM Learning Kit Educational Playset Child Brain Development Stacking Blocks PTM100 https://a.co/d/9xe1IH1

These are the mini pieces. Very easy to miss "mini diamond series"
It's adorable but 100 pieces of that doesn't keep a kid busy for long.
DC 3 is always complaining he needs more
Great quality tho. If anyone's knows of any deals, I'm looking for full size to add to dc collection.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:18 pm
I spread a disposable tablecloth on the floor and kids play Lego on the cloth.

Then pour the Legos into the bucket when done.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:19 pm
Go for walks.

The weather should be nice.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:21 pm
kermit wrote:
I end up going to the secular one out of desperation and flipping through them first, and very occasionally buying a jewish one cuz he reads so fast it's not worth investing in these $25 books

Maybe start a separate post asking about a library? Most big communities have them.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:13 pm
kermit wrote:

Are you able to request books within your library system? I know the Queens and Nassau county libraries have many Jewish books and graphic novels available but you just have to request them in advance. I would say to do this now so you’ll have them in time for yom tov!

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:15 pm
kermit wrote:

Yes, my classmates family was running one and pretty sure they still are but I don’t have the info offhand. Their last name is Willner.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:23 pm
Rush hour Jr? (Or any of the one person Thinkfun games that are age appropriate for him. My favorite is Chocolate Fix, but might be too hard)

https://www.thinkfun.com/produ.....r-jr/

Catan Jr?

Adding perplexus junior

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:30 pm
Boro park has the Jewish youth library

There is Wilner on E 3 street in Kensington.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:33 pm
OP Somebody messaged me if I wrote this post because of the similarities plus I have spoken about this irl.
I don’t live in Brooklyn though and Were still looking for pesach guest….so I didnt write this post although I can fully relate.
Kids needs kids as company…having only adults around for all of yom tov takes its toll on a 7 year old boy and there are no answers or simple solutions.
So OP when you find good ideas come back and post.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:49 pm
kermit wrote:
yes! he loves puzzles such a good idea. I forgot about those. I can 'help' him by making piles of pieces that belong together cuz I can't make it with him on yom tov but my husband says he's young enough to still make if he takes them apart. thank you!!

I have a 7 year old boy and chutes and ladders is way below his age level
He loves war, set, rummy, life, rush hour, Rubik’s cubes, chess, checkers, bingo, trouble, qbits, quirkle, go fish, old maid… you get the idea
He also loves puzzles. Buy him a 3d puzzle! Even my 5 year old loves them
Lego sets definitely keep him occupied for hours
He likes I can read level one readers

Will you be around family or friends? Anyone he could play with?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:52 pm
Op, someone just posted another thread asking for game suggestions, you might find something usefu on there too.

From the way your post was worded, It came across like your a single mom.
Glad youre not on your own own.

Hatzlocho.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 6:00 pm
kermit wrote:
yes! he loves puzzles such a good idea. I forgot about those. I can 'help' him by making piles of pieces that belong together cuz I can't make it with him on yom tov but my husband says he's young enough to still make if he takes them apart. thank you!!

Ask your LOR, but afaik no one can do puzzles on Shabbos. It's considered like drawing.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 6:03 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Ask your LOR, but afaik no one can do puzzles on Shabbos. It's considered like drawing.

Some people do puzzles, so now you have learned something new.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 6:04 pm
kermit wrote:
I need links for what to buy that will actually keep him occupied for large periods of time

I know pesach is 3 weeks away but I'm already having anxiety

it's just so. many. long hours -- mornings, afternoons, and evenings.

My son is 7, I'm willing to spend on items to keep him busy bc it's pikuach nefesh for me but I need ideas that will actually work

-He LOVES to read graphic novels (but already read most of what library has including dogman, hilo etc etc open to suggestions of series tho)
-He loves playing cars (but already has all the hot wheels stuff)
-Board games are too short to be useful, I'll do 3 rounds of chutes and ladders with him and it's only used up 30 minutes Sad
-Too young for lego; too old for Playmobil he doesn't like it anymore

We have cousins 10 minutes away we can visit for a bit, but that's it. We're home alone first days. Tried inviting people for meals cuz that takes up most of the day but no one is else I know in walkable distance is staying home Sad

So far, I'm thinking we'll walk all the way to Sunset park one afternoon, that's going to take up a long time.

I'm just flummoxed. my brain can't even process how I'm going to handle these upcoming hours and hours and hours.

1. He’s not too young for Lego
2. Chutes and ladders in a very simplistic game for that age- try ticket to ride first journey, monopoly, life etc etc. 7 yo can play any adult game if you take the time to teach the rules.

elisheva25

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 6:23 pm
Friends ? Play dates ?

Anonymiss 1

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:47 pm
I don’t know where you live, but my nearly 7 year old loves playing outside, rain or shine. Perhaps a new ball, frisbee, or scooter would make a nice addition for spending time outside

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:26 pm
The tannaim series comic books
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics