Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
For goodness sake - where can I find
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 3:12 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Idaho potatoes start turning in the food processor before you even get around to making kugel. I can manage it, but I hate when my kugel is greyish. Yukon are much more forgiving.

Mine are soaking in cold water after they are peeled. They never turn any colors

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 3:58 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I never knew UK had their own names for potatoes. Do they do that with apples too?

LOL the English have unique names for everything! (Ever heard of a courgette, an aubergine, or beetroot? Well I never did before I moved here!)

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:00 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
We have brauburn, golden delicious, pink lady, gala apples. Bramleys (they're the large cooking tart ones) I don't remember the rest. Do you have the same?

US had the same though I don’t think a Braeburn or bramleys...

scruffy

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:01 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
We have brauburn, golden delicious, pink lady, gala apples. Bramleys (they're the large cooking tart ones) I don't remember the rest. Do you have the same?

We don't have brauburn or bramleys but do have the other ones you listed.

Common varieties in the US are Cortlandt, McIntosh, Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Gala, Honeycrisp

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:28 pm
scruffy wrote:

Common varieties in the US are Cortlandt, McIntosh, Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Gala, Honeycrisp

I think we have the same. I recognise the names but who knows. We definitely have granny Smith

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:30 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
LOL the English have unique names for everything! (Ever heard of a courgette, an aubergine, or beetroot? Well I never did before I moved here!)

What do you call a beetroot and an aubergine?

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:34 pm
Hi OP

If ur in GG you need the yellow net bag of potatoes from Leon's next to kk or Norman's or sometimes Yarok

Those are the best potato kugel potatoes.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:34 pm
Peel potatoes and immediately put into a bowl of cold water to cover. Fist make your egg batter! Then shred potatoes then immediately mix egg and potatoes and put into pan. I really hope you are already doing this and the potatoes are legitimately the problem.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:37 pm
scruffy wrote:

I’ve had Braeburn apples in the US. And a bunch of others you didn’t list here like Jonathan, Jonagolds, Empire, Fuji, Pink Lady. Cortland and Rome are the best for baking.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:39 pm
PS

Of course we have our own potato varieties in the UK, as most are grown here so they grow the most suitable varieties for our weather and soil conditions etc. So they will be different to those grown in the USA etc. Altho we do get USA Covington Sweet potatoes here!

Same with apples and carrots etc

There are hundreds of different varieties of most fruit and veg Smile

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:46 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
I think we have the same. I recognise the names but who knows. We definitely have granny Smith

UK don't have HONEYCRISP which apparently is amazing and I would love to try it. Some special 'breed' they make which they don't export here!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 4:56 pm
Soak the potatoes for at least an hour. Works every time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:05 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Hi OP

If ur in GG you need the yellow net bag of potatoes from Leon's next to kk or Norman's or sometimes Yarok

do you know what the bag is called?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:06 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Soak the potatoes for at least an hour. Works every time.

I dont have a problem with turning grey - its stays white but just tastes awful and the texture is awful.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:09 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
Peel potatoes and immediately put into a bowl of cold water to cover. Fist make your egg batter! Then shred potatoes then immediately mix egg and potatoes and put into pan. I really hope you are already doing this and the potatoes are legitimately the problem.

yes I am targeting the potatoes as the problem - everything else is fine,

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:20 pm
SwissAlps wrote:
I live in Europe and here potatoes are classified for what they are best for. Potatoes for baking, potatoes for salad, potatoes for soup, potatoes for frying. I usually use baking potatoes and my kugel comes out delicious. I say try the baking potatoes.

plain baking potatoes with no name?

there are a few types of plain british baking potatoes...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Hi OP

mean this?

https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/

do they have good stuff in general?

the only net I see on their web is amendine or something and is described as a waxy potato
how can it be good for kugel?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 5:25 pm
SwissAlps wrote:
I live in Europe and here potatoes are classified for what they are best for. Potatoes for baking, potatoes for salad, potatoes for soup, potatoes for frying. I usually use baking potatoes and my kugel comes out delicious. I say try the baking potatoes.

I used maris piper which is the no. 1 floury potato which should be best forkugel so why should the baking be better if this didnt work out?

caza

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 6:01 pm
I use this one. Sainsbury's Vivaldi, my family live it but I gave my parents one kugel to taste and my dad really didn't like it so I guess it's a matter of taste. I think you should also try to play with different recipes and see what suits you. My mom always made kugel without onions because she didn't like and when I got married and started making kugel then I put a small onion because I assumed that it would give a better flavour and my husband just didn't like it week after week, I could not figure out what was wrong with my recipe. Then I tried to omit the onion and DH loves it since. I am by no means saying that an onion isn't good, I just want to make the point that you need to try to find what tastes good to you.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/g.....e-2kg

Ruchi

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 6:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
the reviews are not very good.

I tried it once. It was a disaster.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics