Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3-day yom tov with ONLY CHILD - help!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:59 am
Guess what, ladies. Some children just don't like lego.

I have one child who can play with legoes for hours. I have another one who won't go near it.

There are other options fortunately.

Does your son have magnates? Playstix? Both of these come with books your son can copy if he likes that. Or he can just be creative. How about clicking?

You should go to the local stores and ask for suggestions.

As far as libraries, there's Fishman, Jewish youth library and a new one on 17 and 53

Puppies

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 1:08 am
Another vote for single player games- there are so many that you can find one with a theme that he likes- cars, castles, ocean etc.

Playstix is a hit in my house. Jenga too- and then he can use the blocks to build a domino track.

Since he likes hotwheels, do you have tracks and ramps? There are really cool sets that are fun to build and race on.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 1:35 am
My siblings that age are very into making a chevras tehillim for the neighbors maybe that is something you can arrange for some neighbors and he can give out a little prize to whoever comes.
Also my siblings love Cover Your Assets and there is also a Monopoly card game. He is also the age for Perpetual Commotion too. Does he like comic books? There are a ton of comic books at the local libraries.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 1:43 am
Playdates makes a world of a difference, it makes the kids happier and then you don’t need to be their playmate.
Hopefully at least some of the time it will be outdoor weather.
We go to parks, etc. when it’s nice out.
7 is old enough that he might enjoy going to shul for 20-30 minutes if your husband is on board and you can hang out/ daven in the lobby to be ready when you are needed.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:11 am
My six year old likes the adult version of settlers of catan. Start with the junior version, but then he can learn the adult version. Takes a while and involves you but it can be fun

cbg

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:01 am
The Lego bag/mat is worth every penny. Makes clean up a breeze

ruchelbuckle

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 10:12 am
I have plenty of old issues of the circle magazine that your son can have. I don't live in NY, but I don't mind mailing them to you. You can PM me.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 10:30 am
My 7 year old plays for hours with his Lego and Magna Tiles and Little People inside Magna Tile houses. He also plays a lot with our huge train set which you build tracks. He can’t read comics yet but yes he loves it when I read him all the Jewish comics and the Circle. A great game for that age is Spot It. Hatzlacha!

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 10:34 am
As an only child myself and having parented an only child until a bit older than yours, here are my suggestions:

Social activities
- afternoon playdates. even an hour or two can really break up the day.
- family walks playing I spy as you go
- playground or backyard if you have

Single player games/toys:
- marble run / marble rush / marble works
- maze ball
- izzi
- mosaic mysteries
- pattern blocks
- hi q
- hoppers
- rush hour or rush hour jr. there is also the one with the boats
- iq puzzler
- kataminos

Joint activities:
What do you like to do (yes you the parent)? When my child was about 6 or 7, I realized we could play games that I also actually enjoyed and that made everything so much easier, because I wasn't entertaining my child, I was doing something fun for both of us and passing the time was easier. Board/card games we like:
* guess who
* jenga
* slamwich
* checkers
* chess
* chinese checkers
* rummikub jr
* rat a tat cat
* star genius
* sorry
* trouble
* set
* Ker plunk
* Memory
* hungry hungry hippos
* Uno
* taboo jr
* outburst jr
* pick up sticks
* card games (two favorites: crazy eights, steal the old man's bundle. there are many others)

kermit

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 11:51 am
amother Ecru wrote:
Ask your LOR, but afaik no one can do puzzles on Shabbos. It's considered like drawing.

thank you my husband is a rabbi - but yes you are right many hold its not allowed. my husband allows children up to 9 do a temporary puzzle they can pull apart before end of day

kermit

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 11:52 am
amother Peony wrote:
As an only child myself and having parented an only child until a bit older than yours, here are my suggestions:

Social activities
- afternoon playdates. even an hour or two can really break up the day.
- family walks playing I spy as you go
- playground or backyard if you have

Single player games/toys:
- marble run / marble rush / marble works
- maze ball
- izzi
- mosaic mysteries
- pattern blocks
- hi q
- hoppers
- rush hour or rush hour jr. there is also the one with the boats
- iq puzzler
- kataminos

Joint activities:
What do you like to do (yes you the parent)? When my child was about 6 or 7, I realized we could play games that I also actually enjoyed and that made everything so much easier, because I wasn't entertaining my child, I was doing something fun for both of us and passing the time was easier. Board/card games we like:
* guess who
* jenga
* slamwich
* checkers
* chess
* chinese checkers
* rummikub jr
* rat a tat cat
* star genius
* sorry
* trouble
* set
* Ker plunk
* Memory
* hungry hungry hippos
* Uno
* taboo jr
* outburst jr
* pick up sticks
* card games (two favorites: crazy eights, steal the old man's bundle. there are many others)

this list is amazing thank you!!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 6:44 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Bra.....1XY1T

I saw this game and thought of this thread.
My boys would have loved this game at 7 (and still would even older!) and it’s something a kid can play by themselves. Plus the movement would be good to get some energy out Smile
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics