Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Experienced moms! Please help me identify this-
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:55 am
DD just had a 3+ week course of antibiotics. She woke up around 2 am complaining of itching in her tushy. So now I’m wondering if she has a good ol’ yeast infection from the antibiotics (she was on a pretty good probiotics though) or do I need to suspect pinworms Twisted Evil Hiding

She had what looked like little whitish pieces. I noticed it earlier in the week when I bathed her (my husband did the other baths) and thought it might be some pieces of toilet paper/tissue- she just didn’t wipe herself well or that she may have a mild yeast infection. Now, seeing it again- I’m thinking maybe there’s more to it-can it be pinworms?

I shmeared on clotrimazole + a teeny hydrocortisone and within minutes she said she was feeling better and went back to sleep. (Mind over matter??)

Sorry for long post- but if you have any ideas- please share!

theoneandonly

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:57 am
White pieces+itchy tush I would say pinworms but I'm not a doctor

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 2:00 am
amother OP wrote:
DD just had a 2+ week course of antibiotics. She woke up around 2 am complaining of itching in her tushy. So now I’m wondering if she has a good ol’ yeast infection from the antibiotics (she was on a pretty good probiotics though) or do I need to suspect pinworms Twisted Evil Hiding

She had what looked like little whitish pieces. I noticed it earlier in the week when I bathed her (my husband did the other baths) and thought it might be some pieces of toilet paper/tissue- she just didn’t wipe herself well or that she may have a mild yeast infection. Now, seeing it again- I’m thinking maybe there’s more to it-can it be pinworms?

I shmeared on clotrimazole + a teeny hydrocortisone and within minutes she said she was feeling better and went back to sleep. (Mind over matter)

Seeing as I get thrush every time I am on antibiotics, that’s what I would suspect.

Pinworms move don’t they?

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 2:30 am
amother OP wrote:
DD just had a 2+ week course of antibiotics. She woke up around 2 am complaining of itching in her tushy. So now I’m wondering if she has a good ol’ yeast infection from the antibiotics (she was on a pretty good probiotics though) or do I need to suspect pinworms Twisted Evil Hiding

I shmeared on clotrimazole + a teeny hydrocortisone and within minutes she said she was feeling better and went back to sleep. (Mind over matter)

Pinworms do come out and die, they look like tiny white threads. But ime there's normally just 1 or 2 and they won't stick to her body... Did she look red/sore last night? Are there still white pieces there?
I'm thinking she would've woken up itchy the night before you saw those white things if it was pinworms..

amother
Green

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:15 am
I have my share of experience with pimworms..
You wait until the child is asleep, then come into the room with a flashlight and quickly check the area.
The pinworms come out in the dark.
You will see the worms slithering and glowing in the light. You will not have a question.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:37 am
Sounds like pinworms to me. And I’m experienced as you requested.

nursemomma

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:42 am
I would think yeast. Pinworms are not large enough to look like dry toilet paper unless they were really thin and thread like.
Also, is she complaining during the day as well? That should give you a clue. Pinworms mostly come out at night.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:00 am
Based on OP's description, I would think it's yeast/thrush from the medication.
OP, is it in her vaginal area or in her behind?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:18 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Based on OP's description, I would think it's yeast/thrush from the medication.
OP, is it in her vaginal area or in her behind?

Redness and itching was basically all over.
The whitish pieces was in her vaginal area

exhausted

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:19 am
In my experience with pinworms, you can barely see them with the naked eye. And the itching is intense coming from the back. This sounds like yeast/thrush, especially because she just finished antibiotics and the steroids worked so quickly. They wouldn't for pinworms.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:20 am
amother Green wrote:
I have my share of experience with pimworms..
You wait until the child is asleep, then come into the room with a flashlight and quickly check the area.
The pinworms come out in the dark.
You will see the worms slithering and glowing in the light. You will not have a question.

I tried the flashlight thing, but maybe didn’t do it correctly. In any case, I didn’t see anything move...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:21 am
exhausted wrote:
In my experience with pinworms, you can barely see them with the naked eye. And the itching is intense coming from the back. This sounds like yeast/thrush, especially because she just finished antibiotics and the steroids worked so quickly. They wouldn't for pinworms.

That’s what I was thinking/hoping

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:24 am
exhausted wrote:

You might need glasses!!!
If you see pinworms, you won't have any questions. It looks like a worm!!! (albeit small)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:35 am
Thanks everyone for your help!

Btw, reread my op now, and I’m pretty impressed with myself lol LOL I was mamash sleep writing (3:55 am Can't Believe It) and had to try make sure no random words get added as my brain kept on saying different things at that point... I see it’s not too bad (at least I hope so Laugh )

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:39 am
nursemomma wrote:
I would think yeast. Pinworms are not large enough to look like dry toilet paper unless they were really thin and thread like.
Also, is she complaining during the day as well? That should give you a clue. Pinworms mostly come out at night.

She wasn’t complaining during the day, but she still wears a diaper at night and it’s possible the wet diaper aggravated the discomfort? She’s not a complainer generally (especially during the day when she’s occupied), and this kid lives with chronic pain (and has a high pain/discomfort tolerance)

exhausted

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:39 am
OMG!! I have glasses!! To be more explicit, they are not crawling all around, definitely not in the front, they are usually just at the opening of the rectum and you have to LOOK to see them, you don't just see white things all around.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Redness and itching was basically all over.
The whitish pieces was in her vaginal area

I'd say it's yeast. Maybe take her to get checked out and get a prescription cream.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:47 am
exhausted wrote:
OMG!! I have glasses!! To be more explicit, they are not crawling all around, definitely not in the front, they are usually just at the opening of the rectum and you have to LOOK to see them, you don't just see white things all around.

They actually oftentimes DO go to the front. Obviously not originating from there, but they could travel and set up shop there too.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 7:56 am
Usually a rash "in the front" is good old irritation. wash with warm water (no soap- it's an irritant)
apply any barrier cream- A&D, Vaseline, Aquaphor. (especially if she is wearing a diaper) apply mornings and nights.
I feel that "yeast infection" in kids- is overrated. not very common for little kids to get a true yeast infection.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:53 am
I posted above but feel the need to post again.
Pinworms are very much visible to naked eye. They can look like white pieces not moving. They absolutely can be in front area especially by girls. In fact, my daughter doesn’t complain at all until they move the front. From everything you’re describing, I’m almost positive it’s worms. The white pieces, the waking at night. If you want, you can get a paddle test from your pediatrician to confirm.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics