Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Mom's of 12th Grade Girls

MindOverMatter

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 1:31 pm
How did everything go for those of you that were in the seminary parsha? Happy endings? Frustrated endings? Did your girls get in to any of their first choices? Are you still trying to get in?

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:01 pm
Got in to the place that was the first choice after she had her interviews (originally, another place was her first choice), BH. She was rejected from another place and had a waitlist option from the third.
Wishing Hatzlacha to anyone who still needs needs it!

MindOverMatter

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 6:06 pm
That's amazing! Mazal tov!
Are you OOT? (OOT here)
I feel like it's one of the benefits of not living in town . . . That good girls are pretty much set to get in some where. It's so much harder in town. If you are in town, did you have to use pull out was she just, stam, accepted? Where will DD be going? (If you don't mind sharing. No worries otherwise!)

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 6:38 pm
She got into all three B"H. One we applied to wasn't nogeia from the beginning but the schools said minimum three. Of the other two, our rav told us to send to the one she's going to.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 8:37 pm
Only applied to one seminary, BH she was accepted, now I have to figure out how to pay for it

amother
Maize

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 8:44 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Only applied to one seminary, BH she was accepted, now I have to figure out how to pay for it

As a mom of two post- sem girls - good luck with the paying part. Still paying off loans we got to finance sem- and married off both daughters BH too. Pretty sure my husband and I will never retire..... Sad

MindOverMatter

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 9:09 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:

You were so brave only applying to one! Was it because it was the only place she was willing to go? Did you know in advance that she would get in?

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:40 pm
MindOverMatter wrote:
That's amazing! Mazal tov!
Are you OOT? (OOT here)
I feel like it's one of the benefits of not living in town . . . That good girls are pretty much set to get in some where. It's so much harder in town. If you are in town, did you have to use pull out was she just, stam, accepted? Where will DD be going? (If you don't mind sharing. No worries otherwise!)

We're in town. No pull. Going to Ateres. What about you?
I actually found it interesting how all of a sudden "having an oot vibe" and many oot girls became a huge plus when choosing a seminary. It was absolutely one of DD's main criteria for choosing where to apply.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:48 pm
my dd was waitlisted for both the ones she applied to. her high school keeps telling me they are working on it whatever that means I am upset that the high schools promote seminary in israel as a "must" I feel that they should promote in town seminaries as well not just Israel.

I don't believe in the hype if dd doesn't get in I will be sad for her as her feelings are hurt but not disappointed between the cost, the paperwork, the flights, insurance, phone its' a huge expense.

I offered to send dd on a tour instead.

Also, I have a huge suspicion that the high schools make some money from these seminaries at least a few hundred per student that goes otherwise why else would they spend so much time and effort getting the girls in?

If anyone that works in a school knows if the high schools make money off of seminary pls chime in.

MindOverMatter

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:57 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
We're in town. No pull. Going to Ateres. What about you?
I actually found it interesting how all of a sudden "having an oot vibe" and many oot girls became a huge plus when choosing a seminary. It was absolutely one of DD's main criteria for choosing where to apply.

That's pretty cute. I have heard that a lot recently.
My daughter will be going to BYA, IM"H.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:02 pm
MindOverMatter wrote:
That's pretty cute. I have heard that a lot recently.
My daughter will be going to BYA, IM"H.

Very nice. Someone I know's daughter is there now and is loving it

MindOverMatter

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:02 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
my dd was waitlisted for both the ones she applied to. her high school keeps telling me they are working on it whatever that means I am upset that the high schools promote seminary in israel as a "must" I feel that they should promote in town seminaries as well not just Israel.

I don't believe in the hype if dd doesn't get in I will be sad for her as her feelings are hurt but not disappointed between the cost, the paperwork, the flights, insurance, phone its' a huge expense.

Also, I have a huge suspicion that the high schools make some money from these seminaries at least a few hundred per student that goes otherwise why else would they spend so much time and effort getting the girls in?

If anyone that works in a school knows if the high schools make money off of seminary pls chime in.

I think sending to EY it will become less and less of a "thing" as it becomes more and more the norm fir girls not to get in.
There aren't enough sems. And many great girls.
My DD's Bais Yaakov most definitely 100% receives no money from the sems. They sweat to get the girls in bc they care. (It could be as well, of course, that it looks better for the schools if their girls get accepted. But our menahel and VP just want the best for the girls)

gottago

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:03 pm

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this.
As a high school mechaneches, I had one girl who didn't get in and BH she got accepted to a place she hadn't applied to in round 1.

If you really do want her to go, please stay on top of the sem teacher until your daughter is in.

And as far as I know, there is no kickback for high schools. The sems keep all that money for themselves.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:07 pm

Totally hear you. The way it became a necessity almost is ridiculous, and it's as much the schools' fault as the parents'/society, imo.
I was totally ok with DD not going to Israel and she herself thought long and hard, but ultimately decided it'll be to her benefit.
Some schools help more than others. Imo, it depends on school staff personal kesher with each seminary. I heard schools say straight out such and such place doesn't take our girls, don't bother applying.
May Hashem do whatever is best for your daughter!

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:08 pm
@amother lightcoral

If your dd isn't in yet then the school isn't pushing hard for her, despite what they're saying. The schools calculate how worth it for them long term it is to get which girls into where and how much to push, etc. If it doesn't help them long term they'll tell you they're trying but they're really not. I wonder if your dd is in my dd's h.s. because I know from behind the scenes at two seminaries that dd's school is doing that to a couple of girls. Puke

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:13 pm
gottago wrote:
If you really do want her to go, please stay on top of the sem teacher until your daughter is in.

You have nothing to lose. Ask the sem advisor if she has any intentions to help because it doesn't seem like it. Your dd is worth it to ruffle some feathers.

This game is so fake it sickens me.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:13 pm
To the poster whose daughter is going to Ateres, can you share more information about the seminary? I know they were about to close and then a couple of their teachers stepped up and decided to keep running it.
Is their goal to keep it the way it has been until now?

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:18 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
To the poster whose daughter is going to Ateres, can you share more information about the seminary? I know they were about to close and then a couple of their teachers stepped up and decided to keep running it.
Is their goal to keep it the way it has been until now?

Yes, they literally decided to stay open right before the application deadline, so for them it got extended. My understanding and hope is that it'll be run the way it has been. I don't really have any inside info.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info