Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Satin dresses look like ling_rie
Previous  1  2

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:59 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
I remember the first time I saw someone wearing a satin wrap dress. I thought she was wearing a kimono..

In primark, at the beach wear section they have a really nice one that's obviously meant to be a kimono, but I really wanted it. They only had tiny sizes there. It had flowers on, it looked more like a dress to me than beach wear or lingerie.

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 1:03 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
I’m too fat to wear one but my dh did make a comment when he saw a relative wearing one.
He was like why is she wearing a slip as a dress?

How does your husband know what a slip is? I barely know…

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 2:40 pm
I found some in the Jewish stores that don’t look like lingerie. Depends on the style color and print

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 2:49 pm
I don't own satin lingerie. I do have lacey stuff though.
Maybe women shouldn't wear lace in public as it resembles lace lingerie?
I think you're overthinking.
As long as its modest ( Not fitted, short etc) why wouldn't I go greet Moshiach with it?

amother
Feverfew

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 2:59 pm
Yeah slip dresses look terrible. I don’t know how people wear it in public as if it’s real clothing. Besides that it has issues with tznius based on how it shows every last line and dot underneath. I can literally see everyone’s butt crack.

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:02 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
I don't own satin lingerie. I do have lacey stuff though.
Maybe women shouldn't wear lace in public as it resembles lace lingerie?
I think you're overthinking.
As long as its modest ( Not fitted, short etc) why wouldn't I go greet Moshiach with it?

Not every satin dress is a slip dress. But frum women have been wearing slip dresses lately, and it looks terrible. Very immodest.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:45 pm
If you don't like the look, don't buy it. Satin in and of itself does not conjure up bedroom-wear in my mind. It conjures up ballrooms and Strauss waltzes; white or cream satin conjures up wedding gowns. Of course I'm thinking of heavy satin with body, the sort of fabric one would use to create a formal gown, not the sleazy nylon stuff they sell for nightgowns.

Slip dresses, regardless of fabric, look cheap. IDK why a frum woman would wear such a thing. A shell underneath only emphasizes the fact that the dress is meant to be revealing. When Caroline Besset Kennedy wore a slip dress to her wedding, the media all kvelled over its "elegant simplicity". To me she looked like a woman in such a hurry to celebrate the wedding night that she wore her nightgown to the ceremony.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:46 pm
zaq wrote:
If you don't like the look, don't buy it. Satin in and of itself does not conjure up bedroom-wear in my mind. It conjures up ballrooms and Strauss waltzes; white or cream satin conjures up wedding gowns. Of course I'm thinking of heavy satin with body, the sort of fabric one would use to create a formal gown, not the sleazy nylon stuff they sell for nightgowns.

Slip dresses, regardless of fabric, look cheap. IDK why a frum woman would wear such a thing. A shell underneath only emphasizes the fact that the dress is meant to be revealing. When Caroline Besset Kennedy wore a slip dress to her wedding, the media all kvelled over its "elegant simplicity". To me she looked like a woman in such a hurry to celebrate the wedding night that she wore her nightgown to the ceremony.

LOL LOL

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:49 pm
Growing wrote:
Sad
will anyone go out like that to greet moshiach?

Not a relevant criterion. If I knew I was going out to greet Mashiach, I wouldn't wear a business suit, either. I'd wear the sort of dress I wear to shul on RH.

amother
Oleander

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 9:34 pm
yes

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:27 pm
Will someone be so kind and link this type of dress?
I guess I haven't been out enough...
(Kidding, I had 6 first cousins weddings this winter)

amother
Ballota

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:36 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Will someone be so kind and link this type of dress?
I guess I haven't been out enough...
(Kidding, I had 6 first cousins weddings this winter)

From a quick search. Something similar to this but some are without buttons so smooth in front

https://bananarepublic.gap.com.....45332

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:22 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
From a quick search. Something similar to this but some are without buttons so smooth in front

https://bananarepublic.gap.com.....45332

That one looks totally fine to me. It’s something like this one below specifically in black that gets to me every time. Worn with a shell obviously but looks ridiculous.

https://bananarepublicfactory......ntent

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:01 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
That one looks totally fine to me. It’s something like this one below specifically in black that gets to me every time. Worn with a shell obviously but looks ridiculous.

https://bananarepublicfactory......ntent

This ones totally a camisole!!

Thanks both of you for linking them.

Dollee

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:55 pm
Totally depends on the color, style and fit! You can find really pretty and dressy ones...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics