Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Pesach rental - how much to charge?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 3:11 pm
How much to charge for a large-ish family staying in our guest rooms the whole of Pesach (I think even a few days before), just for sleeping. I would offer for free but we are drowning financially and I will ask them to pay directly to the mosad we owe tuition to.
We do not live "in town" but not so far away.

mikayla18

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:00 pm
How many rooms are they taking? How many people? Are they paying for a closing lady for their rooms? I would say at least 1000 per week but I need more details...

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:02 pm
are they sharing the house with you?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 7:59 pm
Is it a seperate apt or part of your house?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:35 pm
Do they think they are staying in a "rental unit" or do they think they are staying in their hosts neighbor's guest rooms and offered to pay a bit. It makes a difference in what you can ask for.

Also, will you be home?
Are you doing anything special for them?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:10 pm
We will be home also. We BH have two very nice spare bedrooms and a bathroom in our basement and our neighbour asked if they could stay with us just for sleeping, as she has other family staying by her, and what she should pay us for them staying here. Those rooms do not need a deep clean as we never bring food out of kitchen or dining room. She said they will only need to sleep here, so we are not entertaining or cooking extra meals, etc.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:17 pm
Do they know youre charging them to use the rooms?
I would be extremely turned off. Do they think you're doing hachnasas orchim or did you tell them they have to pay?
Let her know now so its not sprung on her last minute

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
We will be home also. We BH have two very nice spare bedrooms and a bathroom in our basement and our neighbour asked if they could stay with us just for sleeping, as she has other family staying by her, and what she should pay us for them staying here. Those rooms do not need a deep clean as we never bring food out of kitchen or dining room. She said they will only need to sleep here, so we are not entertaining or cooking extra meals, etc.

We have paid $150 a night for such an arrangement. 2 bedrooms & a bathroom in someone's basement.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:20 pm
A hotel like homewood suites is about 140 a night.
So 2 bedrooms and bathroom, no food.
Are you providing towels, toiletry?
You will have heating or ac bills.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

Can you ask what they feel comfortable paying? Also what's acceptable in your community? In many places it is common for people to let guests sleep in their homes if they have extra room for no charge. If you need extra space in the future, will you be willing to pay? You can't expect people to let your guests stay for free if you make their guests pay.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:45 pm
The person is a good friend. She asked if her child and its family could stay by us for the whole of Pesach, just for sleeping, and asked what she should pay.
If it is just one or two nights, and not during Pesach, which is kind of stressful, for sure I would not even dream of taking any money.
The whole of Pesach (and possibly a few days before) is kind of long.
I am unable to work at present as I have special needs children who can not be in regular school for regular hours (I do not want to out myself by giving more details). After paying tuition for those children who are BH in school, mortgage and food, there is nothing left of my husband's salary. I do menial jobs in order to make $$$ when I can.
So I am kind of happy that she offered to pay, I will iyH ask her to pay directly to the children's mosad.
I do not know when it would happen that I would need to ask her to have our family stay in her home. We are not from frum backgrounds and do not have family who come to stay often - if they do stay, they fit in the guest rooms.
I hope those details help a bit.
Should I just say "whatever you are comfortable with" and give her the zelle of the mosad?
That seems like the most sensible and pareve advise so far

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
The person is a good friend. She asked if her child and its family could stay by us for the whole of Pesach, just for sleeping, and asked what she should pay.
If it is just one or two nights, and not during Pesach, which is kind of stressful, for sure I would not even dream of taking any money.
The whole of Pesach (and possibly a few days before) is kind of long.
I am unable to work at present as I have special needs children who can not be in regular school for regular hours (I do not want to out myself by giving more details). After paying tuition for those children who are BH in school, mortgage and food, there is nothing left of my husband's salary. I do menial jobs in order to make $$$ when I can.
So I am kind of happy that she offered to pay, I will iyH ask her to pay directly to the children's mosad.
I do not know when it would happen that I would need to ask her to have our family stay in her home. We are not from frum backgrounds and do not have family who come to stay often - if they do stay, they fit in the guest rooms.
I hope those details help a bit.
Should I just say "whatever you are comfortable with" and give her the zelle of the mosad?
That seems like the most sensible and pareve advise so far

Yes I think the best idea is say to pay whatever you feel comfortable and let her pay the place directly.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:07 pm
I have people stay in my basement 1 bedroom and bathroom for $50 a night coffee, water, snacks and fridge access included separate entrance

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

I would not think to charge a neighbor or good friend for hosting family in a guest bed room although maybe it’s different since she offered. To me it’s one of those things people typically do as a chessed and you get a big gift for the person who does it. In most out of town cities, it’s pretty typical to ask a favor like this around yom tov time . I like the idea of telling them to pay whatever they are comfortable with better than giving them an amount. Obviously having a big family over is a huge inconvenience, especially with it being pesach, it’s just one of those favors that people typically don’t charge money for.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:13 pm
Of course you should charge. I don’t know why people are suggesting otherwise. Make sure the mosad knows that whatever money is paid goes toward your account.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:13 pm
What is the difference between giving a big gift and offering to pay $$$?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is the difference between giving a big gift and offering to pay $$$?

It just seems tacky to charge.
Ask them for a donation and put it towards the place of your choosing
If they are willing to pay why wouldnt they go to a hotel instead?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:20 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
It just seems tacky to charge.
Ask them for a donation and put it towards the place of your choosing
If they are willing to pay why wouldnt they go to a hotel instead?
I live in Lakewood and of course people pay. It’s very unpleasant to stay in a hotel over yom tov. Besides, you want to be near your hosts. Hotels are inconvenient.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:20 pm
Basement? doesnt sount like florida.. unless I mixed up OP with commenter.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:25 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I live in Lakewood and of course people pay. It’s very unpleasant to stay in a hotel over yom tov. Besides, you want to be near your hosts. Hotels are inconvenient.

I have never ever ever in my 15 years of living here heard of anyone charging.

I agree that you should tell them to zelle the school whatever they are comfortable with in lieu of a gift.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics