Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Pesach rental - how much to charge?
Previous  1  2

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:28 pm
If you tell them to pay whatever they're comfortable you can't be disappointed if they pay a really small amount.. it may be best to agree ahead of time unless it won't upset you.

If they offered to pay you should absolutely accept, not tacky at all. This is a very big commitment to host guests for almost 2 weeks. You can't yell or they'll hear you, can't have your kids wake them at 6am, it's not a nothing favor at all. You need to prepare the beds, pay utilities, they may use up the hot water when you need it...

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:42 pm
Does she know that you are in a financially tight place? Is it known to her or a busha to you?
Can you say to her I owe the mosad significant tuition-whatever you can donate-maybe from your maaser (I think that would be fine-ask a shaila) against my balance, would be very much appreciated.

If I was your friend, and you asked me for $500 cash, I would give it but find it off-putting. If you asked me foe $1000 I would try to find a different place and be annoyed. If you said this to me, I would ask DH want we had in our Maaser, and write a 5K check.

But obviously, only if she kind of knows and it won’t be embarrassing, make you lose standing in the community, and harm your children’s shidduchim…

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:43 pm
Nothing wrong with charging....

This way you don't get annoyed or frustrated with hosting

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:45 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
I have never ever ever in my 15 years of living here heard of anyone charging.

I agree that you should tell them to zelle the school whatever they are comfortable with in lieu of a gift.

Sure people charge! It is so common, especially over yom tov. I don't think I have ever stayed in someone's basement without paying.

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:53 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Sure people charge! It is so common, especially over yom tov. I don't think I have ever stayed in someone's basement without paying.

I have also never heard of this.
I’ve been here about 10 years and lived in three different neighborhoods .

I don’t think OP is wrong to charge but I don’t think it’s a “of course everyone charges ! “ situation

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:56 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Does she know that you are in a financially tight place? Is it known to her or a busha to you?
Can you say to her I owe the mosad significant tuition-whatever you can donate-maybe from your maaser (I think that would be fine-ask a shaila) against my balance, would be very much appreciated.

If I was your friend, and you asked me for $500 cash, I would give it but find it off-putting. If you asked me foe $1000 I would try to find a different place and be annoyed. If you said this to me, I would ask DH want we had in our Maaser, and write a 5K check.

But obviously, only if she kind of knows and it won’t be embarrassing, make you lose standing in the community, and harm your children’s shidduchim…

I am not asking her to pay. She asked me if they could stay and what she should pay me. She for sure knows about our financial situation! The whole community probably knows why I can't work!
I am just wondering what to charge. If it were one or two nights or over a Shabbos, for sure, that is hachnasos orchim! But the whole of pesach and then some is a little bit more than that! I never offered to host, she asked and I agreed. I never asked for money, she asked if she could pay me and how much.

DVOM

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:57 pm
"It's so kind of you to offer to pay! Your our neighbors. We don't feel comfortable charging you for a neighborly favor that we're more than happy to do for you. The truth is though that finances have been a huge struggle for us, and we're very behind on tuition. If you'd like to give something, anything to apply to our bill in lue of a hostess gift, we'd very much appreciate it. Here's the zelle info. Looking forward to greeting your company!"

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 5:57 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Basement? doesnt sount like florida.. unless I mixed up OP with commenter.

Def not Florida. When we moved to this community we considered Florida briefly but I nixed the idea because of a) all year summer and b) no basements.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 6:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not asking her to pay. She asked me if they could stay and what she should pay me. She for sure knows about our financial situation! The whole community probably knows why I can't work!
I am just wondering what to charge. If it were one or two nights or over a Shabbos, for sure, that is hachnasos orchim! But the whole of pesach and then some is a little bit more than that! I never offered to host, she asked and I agreed. I never asked for money, she asked if she could pay me and how much.

I agree with you. If they were coming for just a few nights it would look tacky to charge. But this is almost two weeks, it's a long time and a big commitment. And she offered to pay. I would probably tell her to pay whatever makes sense to her.

I agree with the poster who wrote that you must make sure the school knows that the money is going towards your tuition. You don't want there to be a mix up and you don't get credited for it.

mikayla18

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 6:21 pm
You said yourself that you wouldn't charge but you need the money. You have a beautiful guest suite available. That's worth something for sure! This isn't someone sleeping by you for a Shabbos Bar Mitzvah it's the whole pesach PLUS. I would absolutely charge and ask her to send the money to the mosad. You don't need a hostess gift I'm assuming you could do without another vase. For 2 beds and a bath, someone said she pays 150 per night. I think that's reasonable and you could even say, "I would charge 150-200 per night, please let me know what you're comfortable paying and please send it to x for my kids tuition" no shame in that, good for you for utilizing your resources and generating income from your house!

Raisin

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 6:49 pm
I would suggest a range of between $50-150 a night.

If you have a seperate entrance and it is a completely private space, maybe more.

Can I ask, if you are so short of cash and it is a private apartment, why you don't just rent it out full time? You could turn one bedroom into a kitchen/living room and make some good money.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 9:48 pm
It is not a private space with a private entrance, there is an entrance there but we also have a playroom and storage area on the same floor, so I do not feel comfortable renting it out year round, unless it would be for short term (2-3 days at a time) visits. I am not sure how that would work, as where does one draw the line between hachnasas orchim and being a quasi air b n b.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics