Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Looking for a binge eating therapist

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:46 am
I have a severe binge eating disorder and I'm at my wits end. I have tried everything and my husband thinks it's time for me to see a professional. I have no clue how to find such a person.
I do not binge and purge, I only binge. Most professionals are for people who binge and purge or for anorexics. The people I went to see a hugely obese woman and put me on diets. That is not going to work, I have an eating disorder.
OA did not help either.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 9:48 am
Following…
I am looking for this too!
In the Lakewood area…

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:44 pm
Contact Relief and ask to speak to Devorah Levitan, she specializes in matching therapists for eating disorders

You can also contact magen avrohom for referrals
https://www.magenavrohom.com/our-programs

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 3:56 pm
The only thing that hold my binge eating is to be on a low carb diet. If I by any chance eat some bread or rice, it will go completely out of control.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:02 pm
Following for ideas. Also struggle with binging but no purging.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:39 pm
You may need to see an addictions therapist . Because it’s a type of addiction

awesomemother

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:41 pm
You can PM me for the contact info of a therapist specializing in eating disorders.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:47 pm
What would you call binge? Eating 3 slices of pizza or almost a whole large bag of nishnoshcracker? Trying to see if I am like this too?

amother
Holly

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 4:55 pm
amother Azure wrote:
What would you call binge? Eating 3 slices of pizza or almost a whole large bag of nishnoshcracker? Trying to see if I am like this too?

Are you joking? Can't figure out if and why you would joke here?
I am referring to at least 15 bagels In a row, eating till your back and ribs hurt

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 6:29 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
The only thing that hold my binge eating is to be on a low carb diet. If I by any chance eat some bread or rice, it will go completely out of control.

I'm sorry but this is terrible advice. Bingeing is an outgrowth of restriction.

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 6:29 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
You may need to see an addictions therapist . Because it’s a type of addiction

It's actually not. According to DSM it's an eating disorder, not addiction.

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 6:31 pm
Please please do yourself a favor and find a therapist who is knowledgeable and aligned with intuitive eating. This plays a huge role. So happy that you see that it's more than dieting. Do you want to just give your location (or even state) maybe someone knows someone there?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 8:22 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Are you joking? Can't figure out if and why you would joke here?
I am referring to at least 15 bagels In a row, eating till your back and ribs hurt

Binge eating means eating huge amounts of food with a compulsion. You eat one thing after another until you're sick or in pain. Then you are consumed with self disgust and shame.

I live in NY. I did try intuitive eating but it didn't help me much. I really need someone who is an expert in binge eating disorders.

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 8:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Binge eating means eating huge amounts of food with a compulsion. You eat one thing after another until you're sick or in pain. Then you are consumed with self disgust and shame.

I live in NY. I did try intuitive eating but it didn't help me much. I really need someone who is an expert in binge eating disorders.

Don't try IE on your own. But find an eating disorder therapist who subscribes to IE and believes that binging is due to restriction and thus wont recommend diet.
Relief may be able to recommend someone.

imanothermother

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 9:36 pm
I know you're looking for a therapist and I hope you find one, but I wanted to just let you know that it is curable and that I managed to overcome my disorder.

I struggled with binge eating for eight or nine years. I'd read a book about not trying to limit your overweight children's food consumption and feeding them regular meals and decided to try it on myself. The first thing I had to accept was that I was going to gain weight. It wasn't easy, but I was so unhappy that I was ready to try it.

I made myself eat three large healthy meals every day. And in-between meals, I let myself eat whatever I wanted. I bought the cake and ice cream and candy and chips. I ate all of it
But after a few weeks, I found that I was eating differently. I wasn't binging anymore because I knew I could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I slowly started eating less nosh, but whenever I started getting too restrictive, I felt myself getting sucked back into my old habits.

It's been about five years. I weigh probably 30 pounds more than I'd like. I overeat some days. Some days I don't. But I have a normal relationship with food again. I don't feel helpless and out-of-control and full of shame and self-loathing. Maybe I will never be the weight I want to be. But this is better for me.

amother
Trillium

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 9:54 pm
I've had friends who have had great, long term, success with Overeaters Anonymous

amother
Holly

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 9:55 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I've had friends who have had great, long term, success with Overeaters Anonymous

Do u know a online group?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:18 pm
imanothermother wrote:
I know you're looking for a therapist and I hope you find one, but I wanted to just let you know that it is curable and that I managed to overcome my disorder.

I struggled with binge eating for eight or nine years. I'd read a book about not trying to limit your overweight children's food consumption and feeding them regular meals and decided to try it on myself. The first thing I had to accept was that I was going to gain weight. It wasn't easy, but I was so unhappy that I was ready to try it.

I made myself eat three large healthy meals every day. And in-between meals, I let myself eat whatever I wanted. I bought the cake and ice cream and candy and chips. I ate all of it
But after a few weeks, I found that I was eating differently. I wasn't binging anymore because I knew I could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I slowly started eating less nosh, but whenever I started getting too restrictive, I felt myself getting sucked back into my old habits.

It's been about five years. I weigh probably 30 pounds more than I'd like. I overeat some days. Some days I don't. But I have a normal relationship with food again. I don't feel helpless and out-of-control and full of shame and self-loathing. Maybe I will never be the weight I want to be. But this is better for me.

I am eating whatever I want all day! I am morbidly obese. This is not about maybe I will gain weight. I'm already crazy overweight. I need help with my eating disorder. I did IE for a year and I just binged for a year.
I did OA, it is extremely restricting. So long as you are in it and you need to be in it very intensely, you are ok but the second you fall, it's like every single diet out there. I regained all the weight. Officially you stop craving but that didn't happen to me. I got exhausted and depressed about my restriction and the whole thing flopped belly up.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 2:44 am
What if this wasn’t a moral issue but a biological issue? There’s a pathway between the brain and the stomach that can get inflamed and messed up and keep telling you to eat. This is the premise of the new weight loss semaglutide drugs like Ozempic, Wegovy and Mounjaro: They are called GLP1 inhibitors. I think that they work by shutting off the brain pathway or at least reducing the inflammation and faulty signals. I’m a little reluctant to even suggest it, but wouldn’t it be easier to not judge yourself and try to deal with this biologically? (Assuming you are eligible for these medicines).

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 5:09 am
amother OP wrote:
I am eating whatever I want all day! I am morbidly obese. This is not about maybe I will gain weight. I'm already crazy overweight. I need help with my eating disorder. I did IE for a year and I just binged for a year.
I did OA, it is extremely restricting. So long as you are in it and you need to be in it very intensely, you are ok but the second you fall, it's like every single diet out there. I regained all the weight. Officially you stop craving but that didn't happen to me. I got exhausted and depressed about my restriction and the whole thing flopped belly up.

Have you tried intuitive eating with a professional therapist (not just on your own)? Have you tried EMDR?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise