Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary questions

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:44 pm
When should my DD apply to seminaries for the year after next? She wants to apply early, is September a good time? Also, if she gets in, how long does she have to confirm if shes going, would she have time to decide?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:49 pm
I believe the application period is around after chanukah, for Bais Yaakov type of seminaries.
Once accepted (few months later), this year they gave 5 days to sign papers and send the deposit, iirc.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:05 pm
Ok great thanks! Does the time period to accept the applications also apply to only BY-type seminaries or all?

gottago

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:06 pm
For most seminaries, you can't get an application on your own, only through your high school. The high schools usually get applications mid October, with application deadlines end of November.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok great thanks! Does the time period to accept the applications also apply to only BY-type seminaries or all?

I believe the deadline for non BY seminaries was earlier. There's a website for all?most? non BY seminaries and one application there. Don't remember the site address, though

Tirza

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:18 pm
Most schools provide guidance and help applying to seminaries. Don’t do it on your own. Let your daughter’s school help you.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:22 pm
Tirza wrote:
Most schools provide guidance and help applying to seminaries. Don’t do it on your own. Let your daughter’s school help you.

I was also worried. The high schools tell the girls what to do. Don't hesitate to call her seminary advisor and ask questions. She gets paid for it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:35 pm
Thanks for all the answers! my DD does online school which is why I was asking

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:38 pm
Yes, most definitely rely on school's guidance. Some schools have seminary nights where their grads share their experiences going to different seminaries. Don't hesitate to ask the school

Tirza

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:17 am
OP, if your daughter is not in a traditional school then you can call the seminary that she’s interested in to ask what the process is.

Many of the schools use the Joint Seminary application:
https://www.applytosem.org/

But I believe that Bais Yaakov seminaries have separate applications.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:20 am
Bais Yaakov sems have separate applications. What type of seminary is your daughter looking for?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:25 am
Tirza wrote:
OP, if your daughter is not in a traditional school then you can call the seminary that she’s interested in to ask what the process is.

Many of the schools use the Joint Seminary application:
https://www.applytosem.org/

But I believe that Bais Yaakov seminaries have separate applications.

Ok great thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:25 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
Bais Yaakov sems have separate applications. What type of seminary is your daughter looking for?

A bit more modern OOT BY type

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:30 am
https://www.yu.edu/israel-program/gis/womens

non by schools

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:38 am
https://tci.touro.edu/admissio.....tion/

touro israel option

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:50 am
Most places won't be open to applications until winter. More importantly, a girl coming from a nontraditional school setting is going to have a harder time getting accepted. Not that she won't get in anywhere, just that many schools are used to applicants coming through the pipeline and will need alternative ways to establish that she's socially and academically prepared.

While it is too soon to apply, it's never too soon to get together recommendations. Online teachers, shul rabbi, and ideally at least one person who has a relationship with the seminary.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 1:20 pm
I'm not sure if this was you OP, but if not, this thread will be helpful
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04868
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info