Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What age for pantyhose
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:45 am
my DD is 10 (4th grade), what age do you start nude pantyhose for the summer instead of tights/socks? I think she looks too old for knee socks but too young for pantyhose....(shabbos, obviously, I think the socks are fine for weekday, just kind of babyish or shlumpy for shabbos at this age)

happy7

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:46 am
After Bas Mitzvah.
The girls in between wear beautiful lace/patterned tights

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:51 am
amother OP wrote:
my DD is 10 (4th grade), what age do you start nude pantyhose for the summer instead of tights/socks? I think she looks too old for knee socks but too young for pantyhose....(shabbos, obviously, I think the socks are fine for weekday, just kind of babyish or shlumpy for shabbos at this age)

Oh gosh.
Lol
I had this question for years!

My daughter is 11 after pesach and this will be the 2nd year of her wearing them.

Personally I think its crazy.
No one outside our frum communities puts these on our girls so young.

The neighbourhood we live in, (very v frum)the girls were wearing them from as young as age 6/7.
They are also the type of girls who wouldnt put socks on past a certain age

The girls in her class were starting to wear from maybe age 9 or 10. Some were still in socks.
My daughter begged and begged and I literally kept her in socks for as long as I could, until I just gave in.

She wants to be like her friends..what can I do.
She literally cried about it and even begged my husband to get her.

If you can push it off, id get pretty long socks to match her shoes.

But its inevitable theyr going to wear them eventually, so doesnt really make a difference how long you manage to get away with it.

Good luck.
Btdt

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:58 am
I'm pretty sure this is community dependent so ask your neighbors. It also is a fashion in its own right so changes with the times.

My fifth dd is 10 and will be wearing knee socks this season.

(Central Lakewood area)

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:09 am
amother Apricot wrote:
Oh gosh.
Lol
I had this question for years!

My daughter is 11 after pesach and this will be the 2nd year of her wearing them.

Personally I think its crazy.
No one outside our frum communities puts these on our girls so young.

Obviously… No one outside our communities have our tznius requirements

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:24 am
can you link what you are referring to "pretty lace/patterned tights"?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:25 am
My girls started in fifth grade after Pesach, usually knee highs though.
I find peach/cream/beige knee socks before that to work better than a stark white.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:27 am
My 10 year old will be wearing knee socks this season. I will get her nice shabbos looking ones. I feel it's way too early for pantyhose.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:32 am
I wore at 13. My dd wanted at 12.
I don't encourage this before bas mitzvah. Knee socks are not immature for an 11 year old. It needs to be done right.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:33 am
In my yeshivish neighborhood it’s knee socks until 13ish

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:49 am
amother Crocus wrote:
In my yeshivish neighborhood it’s knee socks until 13ish

Nice. That seems appropriate. My 10 year old yeshivish niece wears pantyhose and IMHO........it seems a bit creepy to see little girls in pantyhose....

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:51 am
Am I the only one that lives in a community where the girls wear these from who knows how young??

I think its crazy, but we live in an uber frum neighbourhood.
The kids here dont go to my kids school.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:53 am
I don't love the look but my husband didn't want my daughter in knee socks past 10 so nude tights it was.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:25 am
I honestly don’t remember, maybe around 11? They got the Angelina ballet tights from Amazon, they’re nude tights but don’t look chassidish…and they’re thicker so they wash well and last a long time.
And for what it’s worth, the target here in my out of town community has stockings for girls in small sizes, like 4-6 or 6x. It actually came in handy for my very petite girl who wanted to wear what her friends were wearing but was the size of a much younger girl. So if they have stockings in a regular store people must wear them otherwise they wouldn’t be stocking them.

honey36

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:05 am
I seems creepy for little girls to wear pantyhose to me too. Similar to little girls wearing high heels. Just not appropriate.

That said, my daughter will probably start wearing them around 12/13 also even though to that seems young to me as well. But I assume we won't have any other choice at that point Confused

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:10 am
Dd is 13 and had been wearing since 11 maybe even 10. I was happy for her to switch over, I really dislike knee socks and Shabbos dresses I think it brings down the look and I especially dislike the inevitable gap between the top of the knee sock and the bottom of the dress. For the last reason, I strongly discourage knee highs unless she’s wearing long.

pause

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:20 am
Fill in a clueless amother: Why are so many of you making it a choice between knee socks and nude pantyhose? There are beautiful Shabbos'dig tights that girls can wear.

My DD wouldn't wear knee socks from age 6/7, but she has nice lace/patterned tights in whatever shade of white/off-white matches her shoes/clothes. There are even pretty tights available in cotton for the sensory kid.

cuffs

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:22 am
amother Anemone wrote:
Obviously… No one outside our communities have our tznius requirements

So devastating that in our community we s*xualize a 10 yr old girl

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:36 am
My girls go from knee socks, to nice ivory sheer shabbos tights, to nude at 12-13. That's the norm in my community. I cannot stand the look of young girls wearing nude.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:42 am
pause wrote:
Fill in a clueless amother: Why are so many of you making it a choice between knee socks and nude pantyhose? There are beautiful Shabbos'dig tights that girls can wear.

My DD wouldn't wear knee socks from age 6/7, but she has nice lace/patterned tights in whatever shade of white/off-white matches her shoes/clothes. There are even pretty tights available in cotton for the sensory kid.
My dd wore those till maybe 8 or 9, but she's very tall and somewhat chunky and when she was 10 they no longer came in her size and even if I could find something she just looked overgrown in them.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics