Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Convection oven vs regular oven?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 11 2022, 12:34 pm
Can someone explain to me what the purpose a convection oven is? is it worth spending the extra money for it?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Mar 11 2022, 12:55 pm
It circulates the hot air so things bake more evenly. Especially when there is food on more that one shelf.
Totally worth it!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 11 2022, 1:00 pm
thank you!

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 11 2022, 4:27 pm
Actually there are *real* convection ovens and *fake* convection ovens.

Real convection ovens have a third heating element at the rear and so heat is more evenly distributed.

Fake convection ovens have a fan which merely circulates the hot air so that food cooks more evenly.

My Bosch wall oven is a "true" convection oven with a third heating element. There are also stoves with "true" convection ovens.

European "True" Convection

European or "true" convection uses a third heating element behind the fan to blow heated air on your food. With a fan blowing warm air from the third element on to your meats or baked goods the oven temperature is more uniform compared to regular convection or traditional ovens.

amother
Tomato

Post Sat, Mar 12 2022, 6:25 pm
Game changing worth it!
It takes a little time to learn what does and doesn't work best on convection but I would never go back to regular. I have 2. One is a gas oven with the fan at the back wall and one is electric with the fan and a heating element on the back wall. I bake in the electric one. Some cakes bake too fast on convection and some baking needs 5 minutes of convection after the regular bake time to finish it off. Cookies are amazing on convection (shorter cooking time), 3 racks at a time. Challa is great on convection (2 or 3 racks at a time depending on the height of what I'm baking. 2 racks at a time for challa and 3 racks at a time for challa rolls. I turn the pans front to back at the halfway for challa. Chicken is amazing on convection. Cooks faster. Kugels, grilled veg also. It's a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's great.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 12 2022, 6:28 pm
Amarante wrote:
Actually there are *real* convection ovens and *fake* convection ovens.

Real convection ovens have a third heating element at the rear and so heat is more evenly distributed.

Fake convection ovens have a fan which merely circulates the hot air so that food cooks more evenly.

My Bosch wall oven is a "true" convection oven with a third heating element. There are also stoves with "true" convection ovens.

European "True" Convection

European or "true" convection uses a third heating element behind the fan to blow heated air on your food. With a fan blowing warm air from the third element on to your meats or baked goods the oven temperature is more uniform compared to regular convection or traditional ovens.

Im.getting the Bosch convection oven, because the regular is out of stock. I am happy to hear the upgrade is worth it.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 12 2022, 6:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone explain to me what the purpose a convection oven is? is it worth spending the extra money for it?

Don't get a convection if you can get a real gas oven.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 12 2022, 6:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:

So I actually can't get gas. I had gas until now but we changed the location when we remodeled our kitchen.
I wanted a double oven and they said you can't get a double oven with gas.

challahchallah

Post Sat, Mar 12 2022, 8:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I disagree with this. Electric ovens heat more evenly and are better for baking. Gas is certainly better for the stovetop though.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 10:22 am
Ok. I got my convection double oven.

Can someone explain to me, when would I use the regular oven? Would I just use convection for everything?
Is there time when a regular oven wpuld be preferable?
Also. When I turn on the oven to preheat, air comes out of the vent, like a fan..is that because its a convection oven?

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 10:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok. I got my convection double oven.

Can someone explain to me, when would I use the regular oven? Would I just use convection for everything?
Is there time when a regular oven wpuld be preferable?
Also. When I turn on the oven to preheat, air comes out of the vent, like a fan..is that because its a convection oven?

Did your previous oven have a vent? Was the vent in the front or back in your old oven?

Older ovens vented in the back so you might not have noticed that your old oven was venting.

This article gives a good explanation - TL/DR LOL In general baked goods and anything roasted or baked like chicken or meat benefits from convection but you have to adjust baking time and cooking time if you are using an old recipe. By default recipes give temperatures and cooking time for traditional ovens but newer recipes will give instructions for both kinds of oven.

With braises and stews convection isn't generally needed because food is cooked by the heat of the liquid that surrounds it versus "dry hot air" that is used when baking or roasting

https://www.washingtonpost.com.....king/

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 9:08 pm
Can u bake a cake in a convection oven?

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:33 am
Bump-

My new regular gas oven comes with a convection oven setting.
What should I cook on convection and what should I cook on regular if there is a difference when baking?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:15 pm
Can you broil in a convection oven?
Microwave?

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:17 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Can you broil in a convection oven?
Microwave?

A convection oven is an oven - just works a bit better especially with baked goods because there is increased hot air. See my posts regarding the difference between true convection and fake convection which uses a fan to blow hot air instead of the third heating element of a true convection oven.

You can use it for anything a standard oven does including broiling if you set it for broiling which is generally a different mode than baking or roasting.

A convection oven isn't a microwave oven. It's a different technology as a microwave uses electromagnetic waves to move particles in the food and generate heat - I.e. that is how it cooks the food.

Convection ovens are just ovens that most typically have electric heating elements - true convection had three heating elements.

I am not sure how a gas oven can be a convection oven since where is the third element. In my experience based on the gas stove from my childhood there is only one source of heat in a gas oven.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:31 pm
Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics