Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
At what age would you allow your child to play outside alone
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 4:58 pm
I don’t watch any media. I’m very safety conscious however. I live in Jackson off a road with a speed limit of 45 mph. There are very few sidewalks. NonJews over here think it’s hilarious to swerve near my kids and honk their horn behind them so they jump sky high (and then they laugh at them- disgusting animalistic humans who think scaring kids is funny). My older kids (10+) are allowed outside together as long as they wear reflector belts if it’s getting dark and I know where they are. My younger kids do not go out without an older sibling to watch them. I don’t worry about kidnapping. I’m much more worried about cars. Whoever said Lakewood traffic is bad solely because of Yidden- hasn’t met some of the people who live around here.

Edit- I realize now that this was for NY inquiries. Regardless, I think my post is valid.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:00 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
I don’t watch any media. I’m very safety conscious however. I live in Jackson off a road with a speed limit of 45 mph. There are very few sidewalks. NonJews over here think it’s hilarious to swerve near my kids and honk their horn behind them so they jump sky high (and then they laugh at them- disgusting animalistic humans who think scaring kids is funny). My older kids (10+) are allowed outside together as long as they wear reflector belts if it’s getting dark and I know where they are. My younger kids do not go out without an older sibling to watch them. I don’t worry about kidnapping. I’m much more worried about cars. Whoever said Lakewood traffic is bad solely because of Yidden- hasn’t met some of the people who live around here.

Edit- I realize now that this was for NY inquiries. Regardless, I think my post is valid.

Omg thats crazy!!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:58 pm
My 10 ear old can go out alone. My 8 and 6 only if the 10 year old is there too.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:21 pm
My son is 7. I would never let him out alone . Maybe in the backyard with a few friends and I keep checking on him.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
And when your children have a play date over, on a rainy day, are you supervising the entire time? Do you not go into another room to use the restroom or switch the laundry or cleanup etc?

Are you seriously comparing my child playing at home in a safe environment with me checking in constantly while running to the bathroom for a minute to children playing outside in the open street where random people pass by and your child is compl unsupervised??

Maybe we really do need to require every parent to take a safety awareness class before having children

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:40 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
This fear of allowing kids to play outside

Was created by the media who make it sound

That kidnapping is common. It is extremely rare.

Your child is much more at risk driving in a car,

Than walking to school or playing outside.

Until recently, everyone allowed kids to play outside

From age 4 or 5.

Dennis the Menace was age 4, played alone outside.

Peter from The Snowy Day was around 4, played alone outside.

Ramona and Howie walked to school at age 5, including crossing streets without a,traffic light.

I let From age 4 or 5 if there were a group of other kids playing outside.

Super cute but we don't live in storybooks. Moreover, the idealized days of Main Street Americana where the small children walked alone to their sweet brick (all white) schoolhouse with its American flag waving are long gone..

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:15 pm
My son is 8. I live in Flatbush. I don't let him play outside alone.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:19 pm
amother Milk wrote:
Omg thats crazy!!

It’s like their personal protest against frum people moving in (not all- some people are very nice). But then you can go to Walmart in Freehold (next town over), and someone will make sure to tell you that you really need to go back to Lakewood. I think they’re worried it might ‘spread’. Orthodoxy is now contagious.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries