Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Getting a new ge oven- what do you use the griddle for?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:26 am
I'd love to use mine in theory...but 2 points that held me back
1. The cleaning of any stuck foods ...nervous I'd have to scrape off the finish
2. I bake parve often and place the cookie sheets on the stove grates to cool. If I made dairy eggs on the griddle, I probably won't be able to put hot parve cookie sheets on there to cool...? Would love to hear insights.

toyota

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:47 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Please AYLOR, one of the characteristics of a blech that makes it permissible for Shabbos is that it cannot be something that is typically used for cooking in it’s normal way, this seems to be halachically very problematic.

But it's not the typical way of cooking to put pans on top of a griddle?
If anyone asks a rav please post, I would love to hear the answer.

syrima

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:56 am
We have a griddle with a long burner underneath that can get very hot. I always line it with foil first. Then grill chicken, veggies, shish kabobs.
They taste great, cook fast, then throw out the foil and no pans to wash, YAY!

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:32 am
I only have one oven so it wasn’t practical for me since I can’t keep it from getting fleishig splatters on it (or milchig splatters if I wanted it for milchigs). I got a separate 2 flame griddle that just sits on top of the grates and I use that for pancakes, French toast etc.
Using it as a blech didn’t occur to me, I thought a blech has to cover the knobs which this won’t.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:21 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Please AYLOR, one of the characteristics of a blech that makes it permissible for Shabbos is that it cannot be something that is typically used for cooking in it’s normal way, this seems to be halachically very problematic.

It is not used as a griddle on shabbos it is literally the same mechanism as a blech, a covered fire.

cbsp

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:04 am
amother Crocus wrote:
It is not used as a griddle on shabbos it is literally the same mechanism as a blech, a covered fire.

May be so in your specific case. Not sure that's common usage though. It's that what your Rov paskened?

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 5:02 pm
We use it to warm up bread, pita etc for fleishig meals, its great for that.

brightness

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:48 am
I use it as an extra burner when the other 4 are in use which is great!!! Can use it for 2 extra pots

cookier

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:07 am
We got the griddle and a burner grate with ours. I used it once to roast peppers and heat tortillas, but then we couldn’t keep it from getting treifed with splatters from pots, drips, etc. I once set a spoon on it and had to kasher it and the spoon. I kashered it twice and then gave up and switched back to the grate. Unless you take it off (and they’re very heavy) you have to realize it’s the same as having a pot/pan on the stove at all times. So if your griddle is dairy, every time you make fleishigs, you basically have a milchig pot right next to that fleishig pot.

gdgirl

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:47 am
when I got mine I thought I may be able to use it instead of my plug in griddle for pancakes etc so I kept it in the drawer under to avoid splatters from fleishig etc but it turns out that it doesnt work well, uneven heat. so its still in the drawer under but I dont really use it. and its annoying to have thta open space so maybe I should just buy another grate...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen