Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
At my wits end 4 and 5 YO daytime
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:29 pm
DD4 was perfectly fine for a while after toilet training at 2.5. Was even sleeping in underwear for some time (a few weeks?). Then she started waking up wet, and having accidents. Motivating with charts and prizes helped a bit. Then I noticed she has pinworms and treated. The wetting got better for a short time, maybe 2 weeks, but then started having accidents again. Some time later I found pinworms AGAIN. Treated, wetting got better for a short time, then back to square one.
The thing with my kids having pinworms is that they have zero symptoms. I only know if I see it in the toilet. (Then she was still using the potty so was easier to notice. ) sometimes they have one to a few tiny pimples in the area, but I never know what it's really from. The only symptom that I've noticed so far (2 kids, she's my 2nd), is having accidents.

It's gotten really bad lately. Wetting through several times during the day. I washed all underwear on Thursday night (or was it friday morning?) and there is one or none left. She probably has like a dozen I never counted. Today she went to the bathroom right before dressing her pj's and a short while later her bed was wet - she was still up. (I thought she had put a pamper on but she obviously didn't.) I'm on the lookout for pinworms but so far haven't seen anything. Don't know if I should be happy about that or not...

It's probably time to check this out. I want this resolved ASAP. But I really can't see myself squeezing this in before pesach. How will I manage 3 days Yom tov at my parents? I can put her on pull ups all Yom tov, but I don't want her totally falling back.

DS5 has pretty much the same story. He's older though so more self control. Still wetting a lot though.

They have been going to sleep late way too often lately. That could be a contributing factor but I don't think it's the main cause.

I've been contemplating doing the MOP protocol, but it's a pretty tough one. I feel I first need to be sure constipation really is the issue for me to have the motivation. I really don't want to x-ray them. I would rather ultrasound. I don’t know how to get that though (either one) . My pediatrician? What do I do if she's not on board?

This is mostly a vent but also a desperate plea for advice.

Thanks for reading I know it's a long one.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:03 am
Bump

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:52 am
My kids are the same. If they have an accident, I know they have pinworms. It’s their only symptom. Why don’t you try treating? Pinworms are very hard to get rid of because at this age, no matter how well you clean and enforce hand washing, they will keep being exposed at school. I know the frustration all too well. It does get better with age.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:03 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
My kids are the same. If they have an accident, I know they have pinworms. It’s their only symptom. Why don’t you try treating? Pinworms are very hard to get rid of because at this age, no matter how well you clean and enforce hand washing, they will keep being exposed at school. I know the frustration all too well. It does get better with age.

This is so validating. The first time I'm hearing from someone else pinworms = accidents. Was my own gut feeling until now.

So I treat and two weeks later their wetting worsens again. (Never clears up completely) What's the point? I need a permanent solution. Or at least a long lasting one.

Though that's what I'm contemplating doing to tide me over y"t, and iy"h in a few months when I have a baby. Though insurance has stopped covering reese's...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:07 am
amother Rainbow wrote:

It's not an accident. It's 3, 4, 5 times in one day, plus heavy pampers overnight.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:08 am
Speak to your pediatrician about it. My doctor ended up giving me a written prescription to order vermox (mebendazole) online instead of the over the counter stuff. I did find it to work a bit better. Also, read online about pinworm treatment and prevention to make sure you’re doing everything you can properly. Two weeks is the time period it takes for the pinworm eggs to hatch so it makes sense the symptoms come back then.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:12 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
Speak to your pediatrician about it. My doctor ended up giving me a written prescription to order vermox (mebendazole) online instead of the over the counter stuff. I did find it to work a bit better. Also, read online about pinworm treatment and prevention to make sure you’re doing everything you can properly. Two weeks is the time period it takes for the pinworm eggs to hatch so it makes sense the symptoms come back then.

So if symptoms reappear 2 weeks after treatment, the treatment obviously didn't clear it completely. No?

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:14 am
Or they keep getting reinfected with more eggs. Ingesting the eggs will cause infestation to continue even if the original worms are gone.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:21 am
So how do I stop that? They're toddlers for heavens sake! Only Hashem can control what they do (or don't) do. As many times as I tell them to wash their hands with soap after the bathroom or before eating, they couldn't care less. Forget about what they do in school.

ProudMommy3

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:59 am
Keep their fingernails cut really well (so eggs dont get stuck underneath), enforce handwashing as much as possible, Vermox, daven!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:05 am
Oh and I'm now giving them grapefruit seed extract which in the past was the only thing that has helped for a few months. Seems to be helping for DS but not DD.
Should I try vermox even though I don't actually see them?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:33 am
You need to treat it for the first time. Again 2 weeks later. Then a 3rd time 2 weeks later. Is

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:37 am
amother Purple wrote:
You need to treat it for the first time. Again 2 weeks later. Then a 3rd time 2 weeks later. Is

Vermox?
With reeses I did 2 times.
Who told you to do 3? It does make sense it should be more effective.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:11 am
My pediatrician actually recommends 3 times.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:17 am
amother OP wrote:
So how do I stop that? They're toddlers for heavens sake! Only Hashem can control what they do (or don't) do. As many times as I tell them to wash their hands with soap after the bathroom or before eating, they couldn't care less. Forget about what they do in school.

IMHO handwashing with soap for all family before eating anything.
Mandatory handwashing with soap after bathroom visits for everyone, young or old.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:24 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
My pediatrician actually recommends 3 times.

Reeses? Vermox? Either?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:25 am
Should I try vermox even though I don't have proof that it's pinworms?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:51 pm
Bump

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:29 pm
Why don’t you discuss with your pediatrician? Probably the best way to get a plan of action. You can ask for the paddle test to confirm worms and take it from there.
But yes, the 3 treatments could be for either type of meds.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:02 am
Aside from the pinworm issue which a lot of mothers here are giving suggestions about I just want to say it’s totally ok to go to pull-ups fully as a RESET. When you feel like things are 100% under control you can try again they will be just fine!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training