Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Most practical pesach counters
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:33 am
naomi2 wrote:
Corrugated plastic. It's thick and durable and after the first year cutting to fit your counter you can reuse for years

So I used this for many years and then switch to try new stuff and I’m going back to this. It’s the best

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:45 am
Buy a role of vinyl flooring. Cut it to your specifications. Tape it down. It rolls up and I've been using it for the past 8 years with no problem. I labeled the back so I know which counter goes to which piece and it works really well.

Regarding kashering granite. I have granite but I was told it's actually very hard to kasher it correctly for pesach as water has to go from the source to each and every spot. It can't be spilled and just assume it's fine. (According to my rav)

creditcards

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:54 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Buy a role of vinyl flooring. Cut it to your specifications. Tape it down. It rolls up and I've been using it for the past 8 years with no problem. I labeled the back so I know which counter goes to which piece and it works really well.

Regarding kashering granite. I have granite but I was told it's actually very hard to kasher it correctly for pesach as water has to go from the source to each and every spot. It can't be spilled and just assume it's fine. (According to my rav)

Can you post a link for this?

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:49 am
amother Salmon wrote:

Our minhag is to kasher and cover. Granite is easily kashered, but you need the right equipment. You need to pour boiling water and follow immediately with a hot stone or iron so the water is actually boiling on the counter surface. They sell stones in an enclosure with a long handle for this purpose. You heat the stone on the stove when you boil the water.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:54 am
DrMom wrote:
If your countertop is granite, can't you just kasher it? That's what we do.

I'm afraid that the way DH would kasher our granite could break it (hot stone, etc...) so I cover it.
I'm trying the floor tiles this year. Ordered them and they are coming today. If we hate it, we won't do it again!

(I did the corrugated plastic for years. Re-did my counters last year, so they don't fit anymore. So now I'm at the "try something new" stage - did an Amazon version of the decal last year, it was a disaster - I wonder if eventually I will go back to the plastic....)

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:59 am
DrMom wrote:
If your countertop is granite, can't you just kasher it? That's what we do.

When we fixed up our house before moving in, I specifically wanted granite because it can be kashered. We moved here November 2014, and we have always covered the counters- my husband doesn’t want to bother with kashering, and I think the fact that my in laws cover everything would leave him feeling like our kitchen was “naked.” We use corrugated plastic, I think that’s what it’s called.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:50 am
The two of you who tried the decal, which part was the disastrous part?

Dh already bought them so this is what we will use this year. He got tired of the water getting underneath corrugated plastic and smelling bad and the custom wood pesach counters had that same problem but instead of smelling they warp and get moldy and need lots of storage space.

Please pre warn me what I will be dealing with, thanx.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:51 am
amother Clear wrote:
The two of you who tried the decal, which part was the disastrous part?

Dh already bought them so this is what we will use this year. He got tired of the water getting underneath corrugated plastic and smelling bad and the custom wood pesach counters had that same problem but instead of smelling they warp and get moldy and need lots of storage space.

Please pre warn me what I will be dealing with, thanx.

Extremely sticky counters which is hard to remove residue and really hard to pull off lots of work

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:11 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Extremely sticky counters which is hard to remove residue and really hard to pull off lots of work

That should not be the case this year. It only happened last year because their manufacturer changed formulas at the last minute and they did not know in advance to test it. They are using a different factory this year and tested it extensively.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
That should not be the case this year. It only happened last year because their manufacturer changed formulas at the last minute and they did not know in advance to test it. They are using a different factory this year and tested it extensively.

Busy in Brooklyn showed it this year how she was pulling it off was extremely hard

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:52 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Busy in Brooklyn showed it this year how she was pulling it off was extremely hard

I imagine if it's sticky enough to stay on the whole Pesach it's not going to come off super easily. But did it or didn't it leave residue?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:35 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
I imagine if it's sticky enough to stay on the whole Pesach it's not going to come off super easily. But did it or didn't it leave residue?

She had it in for a few hours only

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:16 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
She had it in for a few hours only

She said she had it on for a week.

But I didn't see her putting it down last week, in a video, which I think would've been a smart thing to do, given the credibility issues of last year.

Is it just cynical me, or does anyone think this thread was started to give the Dekal people another chance, to remind everyone about them again and how hard they are working to make a good product?

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 3:58 pm
https://www.joann.com/marine-v......html

I've been using this and haven't had to change it for 15 years. Comes on a roll, and it's wide. I cut a piece for each counter in my kitchen and only tape it down by the sinks. It wipes clean, is waterproof, and isn't slippery (there's a texture on the back). Folds down to nothing to store.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:47 am
amother Banana wrote:
She said she had it on for a week.

But I didn't see her putting it down last week, in a video, which I think would've been a smart thing to do, given the credibility issues of last year.

Is it just cynical me, or does anyone think this thread was started to give the Dekal people another chance, to remind everyone about them again and how hard they are working to make a good product?

No lol. I'm hesitant to buy the dekal now bc of the complaints Im hearing... I tried many things over the years, but nothing is practical.

And now I have even wider counters which makes it harder to find.

Maybe I should buy simple vinyl from fabric store?

DH told me to get the corrugated, bc really it needs to be "doubled" and it's two layers. I really dont want. I'm so tired from it.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:20 am
We have corrugated plastic. But I cut pieces of contac paper, about 4 inches wide, and used them as borders around the plastic, covering the edge on both sides. It seems to keep the water out & looks nice to me... also helpful if you need to attach two pieces.

You do need to make sure to dry out well before putting away.

Also we tape a strip of foil along the backsplashes and fronts of counters, though if I can get something called counter tape (made for Pesach) that works better on the fronts.

Ruchi

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:53 am
amother Salmon wrote:

What's the best way to cut it? Scissors, pen knife ?

creditcards

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:57 am
amother OP wrote:
No lol. I'm hesitant to buy the dekal now bc of the complaints Im hearing... I tried many things over the years, but nothing is practical.

DH told me to get the corrugated, bc really it needs to be "doubled" and it's two layers. I really dont want. I'm so tired from it.

I was told that it's not considered as 2 peices because it's connected. I have it cut out that I keep from year to year. Ontop of that I have vinal table cloth. I tape it down. Ontop of that I put a plastic table cloth and tape it down. Then I put another plastic table cloth and that gets changed when it's dirty. I keep changing the top layer when it gets dirty. No water goes in with all the layers. My vinal table cloth is also cut out that I keep from year to year.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:03 am
amother OP wrote:

To make corrugated plastic easier to use buy vinyl or thickish plastic tablecloths tape those down and then lay the plastic on top so it mostly fits. Like that you’re not busy trying to reach all the corners with the hard to cut plastic .but rather with the soft and easier to work with plastic.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:03 am
Ruchi wrote:
What's the best way to cut it? Scissors, pen knife ?

Pen knife I think is the easiest.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen