Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What protein do you serve seder night?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:09 pm
I know you can't have roasted chicken. And I remember something about not having meat? Is that right? Can we have pickled brisket which is boiled?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:25 pm
We have chicken cooked on the stovetop in a mushroom and onion sauce. No minhag here about not eating red meat.

For lunch the first day, we have lamb chops. And I roast them erev Pesach so the children will know that the 14th of Nissan in the afternoon is supposed to smell like roasting lamb. , במהרה בימינו

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:25 pm
I have done saucy chickens, meatballs, saucy roasts. Corned beef.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know you can't have roasted chicken. And I remember something about not having meat? Is that right? Can we have pickled brisket which is boiled?

I tihnk you have it backwards. You can't have roast meat but could have chicken.

pause

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:27 pm
We eat chicken and flanken from the chicken soup. I never heard that meat isn't allowed.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

I serve chicken from the soup and club steak cooked on the stove.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:29 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
We have chicken cooked on the stovetop in a mushroom and onion sauce. No minhag here about not eating red meat.

For lunch the first day, we have lamb chops. And I roast them erev Pesach so the children will know that the 14th of Nissan in the afternoon is supposed to smell like roasting lamb. , במהרה בימינו

I wish- we don’t have lamb u til after the first days.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:29 pm
You cannot serve roasted chicken or roasted meat because it resembles the korban pesach. Chicken or meat has to be made on the stovetop or saucy slow cooked in oven so it doesn't appear roasted.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:30 pm
We have schnitzels.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:37 pm
there are many different traditions. some specifically do have roasted lamb or meat. ashkenazim usually do not have roasted meat. I was taught roasted chicken is fine since it doesn't resemble lamb. braised meat like brisket is common because it's not roasted and does well sitting for a while

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:43 pm
You can have meat; you just can't have roasted meat. You can have goulash, stew, gedempte fleish, meatloaf, stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls. You can serve chicken tagine, chicken cacciatore, fried chicken, stir-fried chicken . If you can get these exotic birds, you can serve duck or goose...the possibilities are endless.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:44 pm
We have chicken from the chicken soup

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:46 pm
Thanks, got it. I was getting mixed up, I'm almost sure my mother frowns upon meat being served even though its not roasted. She was brought up in a Polish/chassidish home so that's why I don't ask her anymore because she'll get annoyed most likely!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics