Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What age for pantyhose
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:44 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Pantyhose are not s-xual, no matter what the p*rn industry wants you to think.
To this day, they are a modest piece of attire. They are considered more appropriate for professionals and court appearances etc instead of bare legs.

The skin colour tights sold in the stores are meant to make the legs look more beautiful.

Some of them are called oiled look or sheen glossy. Bare leg look etc

The younger girls I see wearing them are the ones who are wearing thicker ones so looks fine.

And the ones who wear thinner, doesnt look s-xual!!

It may not look 100% right on a young girl in a fancy shabbos dress, but to call it s-xual doesnt fit with the way our girls dress on shabbos.

No one is wearing these with super tight bodycon dresses or short skirts etc.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:45 pm
Double

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:49 pm
this is interesting to me. we are MO, and my dd prefers tights even as a teen, she doesn't like thin pantyhose. But by us it's acceptable to wear colored tights, not just black or nude.

growing up (in an era where everyone wore pantyhose and women, secular ones too, didn't go bare-legged) I remember switching around 11-12. Definitely by the time we were going to bat mitzvah parties. (I was 5'4" by the time I was 12 so I had definitely outgrown girls' tights.)

(UK amother - in the USA the thin tights under 20 denier are called pantyhose, 40 and up are tights.)

cuffs

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:50 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Pantyhose are not s-xual, no matter what the p*rn industry wants you to think.
To this day, they are a modest piece of attire. They are considered more appropriate for professionals and court appearances etc instead of bare legs.

You totally missed the point.
Making a 10 yr old girl cover her legs is s*xualizing her. She’s not a women that’s a professional and making court appearances. She’s running around on the playground and jumping on the trampoline. Let her be a kid. No one thinks beige pantyhose is s*xy lol.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:37 pm
My daughters started at 9, the age they couldn’t wear short socks anymore. (As per Reb Moishe)

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:05 pm
cuffs wrote:
You totally missed the point.
Making a 10 yr old girl cover her legs is s*xualizing her. She’s not a women that’s a professional and making court appearances. She’s running around on the playground and jumping on the trampoline. Let her be a kid. No one thinks beige pantyhose is s*xy lol.

I very much disagree. I personally am not so makpid to cover my legs all the time, although I live in a place where covering legs is definitely the minhag hamakom. Therefore I cover when I go out.
Tznius doesn’t sexualize young girls just as much as it doesn’t sexualize adult women!!!! If anyone think is we dress tzniusly only for men then you have a lot of learning to do

Tznius is beautiful, it’s is internal, and it’s between you and Hashem. We teach our young girls to dress tzniusly the same way we teach them to observe shabbos.

It’s so sad to me when I see how people were taught about tznius and how they still obviously feel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:02 pm
thanks for the links above.
one poster referred to "ivory sheer pantyhose" - what would that be?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:24 pm
this is what I found when I googled "sheer ivory girl lace pantyhose" - I can't imagine this is what you mean to put on a 10 year old...or is it?
https://www.amazon.com/MeMoi-F.....=8-48

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:46 am
So we don’t wear “nude” or “sheer” as the point is to cover the legs with an obvious covering. I do wear beige, but they are several shades darker than my skin tone and don’t look remotely s-xy. My daughter wears either black or white, she prefers white, and she is only seven but as far as I remember her school won’t let her wear beige until high school.

pause

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:11 am
amother OP wrote:
this is what I found when I googled "sheer ivory girl lace pantyhose" - I can't imagine this is what you mean to put on a 10 year old...or is it?
https://www.amazon.com/MeMoi-F.....=8-48

Look at the options that come up here:
https://littletoesch.com/colle.....ights
You'll find something more age-appropriate.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:27 pm
thanks for the help. The website you linked is great!
Is it more "with it" to wear the patterned cotton tights or a plain with no pattern sock/cotton tights? And is that better than a regular microfiber tights in lets say cream or white?

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it more "with it" to wear the patterned cotton tights or a plain with no pattern sock/cotton tights? And is that better than a regular microfiber tights in lets say cream or white?

Older girls generally don't wear cotton tights on shabbos.
Sheer ivory with or without a design. But not cotton.
(Yes, they're disposable...)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:46 pm
OK, so now I am confused...can someone link what you mean by sheer ivory - from the last link of the general website I thought you meant a cotton tights with holes..... Is sheer ivory like a nude pantyhose just in ivory? The nude pantyhose I was looking at were memois 40 den nude...so same thing in ivory????
(BTW we are not chasidish if that matters, lakewood type yeshivish transplanted OOT)

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 3:18 pm
amother OP wrote:

In a yeshivish community you either wear no pattern knee socks or cotton tights. The sheer ivory tights are not with it in a yeshivish community. Cream and white tights are not with it either. There are people from many communities posting so they will post whatever is with it in their community.

eyima

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 3:24 pm
thank you amother crocus. I guess I should have specified what community in the beginning...
so, plain no pattern cotton tights or knee socks. Her shoes are a creamy off white, but if you are saying that cream and white are out...what color?
Or I am back at the beginning, should I just do nude pantyhose? or is that too young (10 in 4th grade)? Specifically asking yeshivish lakewood but living OOT type....

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 3:24 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
Older girls generally don't wear cotton tights on shabbos.
Sheer ivory with or without a design. But not cotton.
(Yes, they're disposable...)
A 10 year old can get away with wearing cotton lace tights on shabbos, pointelle type, as long as it looks right with the dress/shoe and she's on the smaller end. Just be aware that they're very pricey and snag easily.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 3:30 pm
eyima wrote:
thank you amother crocus. I guess I should have specified what community in the beginning...
so, plain no pattern cotton tights or knee socks. Her shoes are a creamy off white, but if you are saying that cream and white are out...what color?
Or I am back at the beginning, should I just do nude pantyhose? or is that too young (10 in 4th grade)? Specifically asking yeshivish lakewood but living OOT type....

At 10 they are all wearing cream knee socks.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 4:53 pm
Do you want to know what's done in your town or in yeshivish Lakewood?

If Lakewood, a 10 year old girl is wearing knee socks unless her family has a shita to wear tights. So most are on knee socks. In my neighborhood I don't see nude color on a kid that young.
That may be an oot thing as my nieces from oot have worn them.

******You can call up Hoisery Plus or Accents in Lakewood and ask what's "in" there for knee socks or tights. That should solve this debate*********
Maybe they'll even ship to you.

For the past few years a rather plain sock matching the shoe was "in" if you were doing a cream colored shoe. That's the only color I buy so don't know what they tell you if your shoe is pink or blue.

I haven't done sock shopping yet so don't know about this year.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics