Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Interesting Purim Trivia
Previous  1  2  3

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 9:12 pm
b.chadash wrote:
No. He greets his friends and then his wife. His wife is an afterthought. I don't have the megilla in front of me but it struck me as odd that "ohavov" was mentioned first before his wife. It seems to exclude her from the category of ohavov.

That's only the last time, after the parade with Mordechai. The first two times, she's mentioned first. Maybe she was busy with her daughter who fell out the window during the parade? It is interesting that the order is switched that time.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:45 am
b.chadash wrote:
Right. Good catch.

Why not?

b.chadash

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 6:41 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
That's only the last time, after the parade with Mordechai. The first two times, she's mentioned first. Maybe she was busy with her daughter who fell out the window during the parade? It is interesting that the order is switched that time.

Check again:
There were 4 times in total.
The first time she is mentioned is in 5: 10.
Haman comes home and calls to his friends and to Zeresh his wife. Friends first. He slights his wife and sees her as an afterthought.

The second time: 5:14 : this time he is being given advice. Zeresh precedes the friends. Vatomer lo Zeresh ishto vchol ohavav.
She obviously felt she had to push ahead because he slighted her.

The third time is interesting.
It's 6: 13 Haman relates to Zeresh and his friends all that happened to him., and then his Wise men, and Zeresh his wife told him that if Mordechai is from the Jews, he's a goner.
Here is my take: Haman comes home mad and frustrated and he takes it out first on his wife by blaming her. Then the wise men and his wife basically tell him the game is up...

relaxation

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:51 am
b.chadash wrote:
1. Bring proof from the megilla that little children were invited to Achashveirosh's party.

2. How do we know that Haman and Zeresh did not have good shalom bayis?

Assumingly because Haman wanted to kill the kids as well... So they wouldn't be in the decree otherwise
Haman made the decree that the man should rule the house because he had shalom bayis problems

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:33 am
Regarding the change in order of Zeresh and Haman's friends, I saw the following in Parsha Potpourri by Rabbi Ozer Alport:

Although Haman first called his friends and afterward his wife Zeresh (5:10), when they gave him the advice to make the gallows, it was given first by Zeresh and afterward by his advisors. As if that’s not interesting enough, after Haman returns from leading Mordechai through town, everything is reversed. He relates (6:13) what happened first to Zeresh and afterward to his friends, but their response that he won’t be able to conquer Mordechai if he is Jewish was given first by his advisors and afterward by Zeresh. What’s going on with all of these order changes?
The Mishmeres Ariel explains that when things are going well for a person, his friends seem to develop an exceptional love and concern for him and draw themselves even closer than his own wife. For this reason, when Haman returned from the royal banquet with Achashverosh and Esther, his friends came to him before his wife. But even at times like this, the true love of his wife, which is an אהבה שאינה תלוי' בדבר, is stronger than theirs, and she is the first one to give him advice for his well-being.
When the pendulum swings, on the other hand, as happened for Haman after he was degradingly forced to lead Mordechai through the town to honor him, his friends suddenly distanced themselves from him and his wife was the first one to approach him. But when it comes to giving advice in such unpleasant times, his wife could never view him as being close to his downfall, as his friends told him נפול תפול – you’re about to fall into the hands of Mordechai – so they were the primary ones to inform him of this.

mikayla18

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 8:37 am
shanie5 wrote:
There was 1 king who tried to sit on Shlomo Hamelechs throne. He was bitten by one of the animals when he was on the 1st step and was forever after known as "_____ the lame" (sorry, can't remember the kings name right now).

Achashveirosh hired the best artist/craftsmen to build a replica of the throne. Thse craftsmen lived in Shushan which was not the capital at that time. When the throne was ready, it was too big and heavy to move, so Achashveirosh built his palace around the throne and moved the capital to shushan.

I think it was a pharaoh so his name was Pharoah necha or something like that which means the lame Pharoah

b.chadash

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 1:48 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Regarding the change in order of Zeresh and Haman's friends, I saw the following in Parsha Potpourri by Rabbi Ozer Alport:

Although Haman first called his friends and afterward his wife Zeresh (5:10), when they gave him the advice to make the gallows, it was given first by Zeresh and afterward by his advisors. As if that’s not interesting enough, after Haman returns from leading Mordechai through town, everything is reversed. He relates (6:13) what happened first to Zeresh and afterward to his friends, but their response that he won’t be able to conquer Mordechai if he is Jewish was given first by his advisors and afterward by Zeresh. What’s going on with all of these order changes?
The Mishmeres Ariel explains that when things are going well for a person, his friends seem to develop an exceptional love and concern for him and draw themselves even closer than his own wife. For this reason, when Haman returned from the royal banquet with Achashverosh and Esther, his friends came to him before his wife. But even at times like this, the true love of his wife, which is an אהבה שאינה תלוי' בדבר, is stronger than theirs, and she is the first one to give him advice for his well-being.
When the pendulum swings, on the other hand, as happened for Haman after he was degradingly forced to lead Mordechai through the town to honor him, his friends suddenly distanced themselves from him and his wife was the first one to approach him. But when it comes to giving advice in such unpleasant times, his wife could never view him as being close to his downfall, as his friends told him נפול תפול – you’re about to fall into the hands of Mordechai – so they were the primary ones to inform him of this.

This is really interesting, thanks!
Kind of the opposite of my take, but Okay!

I recently read something, or maybe heard a shiur (I cant remember exactly), the following.

We know that the passuk says that after Esther named Haman as the would-be assasin, and Achashveirosh left in a huff, Haman "was falling" (nofel) on Esther. We know from Chazal that the malach pushed him onto her so that when Achashveriosh would come in, Haman would be found in a compromising position. This was the last straw that caused Achashveirosh to sentence him to death.

Haman had no intentions of forcing himself on Esther. He wasn't that crazy.The question is why did the malach have to push him and make it look like he wanted to do something he didn't? Isn't that dishonest?

The answer is that earlier on, the day before he was telling his wife that he was so well liked by Esther that if he wanted to seduce her, he easily could. And since he said that, by a non jew, Hashem is Metzaref machshava Ra'ah lemaisa. So it wasn't dishonest to make it appear that he was doing something he really would have done.

The question is how could he tell this to his own wife??

Eta. I'm just coming back to add that I heard this from Rabbi Glatstien and he quoted the Chida. Happy to post a link if anyone wants. This shiur is about 25 minutes, and this part was 5 minutes in.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:21 am
An interesting thing I heard, maybe some of you knew this...
Mordchai and Homon where together in a battle (don't remember which one) and he took asked Mordechai for all his food and drink, so Mordechai said only on the condition that when they go home, Homon becomes Mordechais servant. With no other place to sign the contract on, they used Mordechais sole of his shoe. years later, when Homon demanded everyone bow to him, Mordchechai showed him the bottom of his shoe to remind him that he once was his slave.

cbsp

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 3:32 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
An interesting thing I heard, maybe some of you knew this...
Mordchai and Homon where together in a battle (don't remember which one) and he took asked Mordechai for all his food and drink, so Mordechai said only on the condition that when they go home, Homon becomes Mordechais servant. With no other place to sign the contract on, they used Mordechais sole of his shoe. years later, when Homon demanded everyone bow to him, Mordchechai showed him the bottom of his shoe to remind him that he once was his slave.

As depicted in Gadi Pollock's Purimshpiel:

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics