Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
NJ food bank on swarthmore
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 3:53 pm
Anyone know what they give out on a regular week?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 4:32 pm
Following...would love to know more as well

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 5:07 pm
They usually give out on Tuesday

In the letters to Shared Accounts this weak in the e they had the phone #, if you still have the Voice you ca look it up.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:35 pm
it is mostly lower quality produce. It is EXTREMELY crowded and not worth the unpleasantness of dealing with the terrible overcrowding in my opinion.

Orangehead

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:37 pm
I am sure that it will get more traffic now that it was posted in the voice!!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone know what they give out on a regular week?

Lately they have been getting vegetables on a regular basis: carrots, eggplant, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, baby tomatoes, clementine , grapes...
Sometimes eggs.
Cereals, pasta, rice...
Sometimes cans of vegetables
It really varies. Sometimes it's super worth it and sometimes not so much! You can't know in advance, only way to know is to show up.
It's extremely crowded, now that info was in the voice I imagine crowd won't be manageable. I wonder what will be.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:46 pm
Pre-yom tov they always have a massive distribution that usually attract a bigger crowd. I imagine that will be the week before pessach.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:48 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
it is mostly lower quality produce. It is EXTREMELY crowded and not worth the unpleasantness of dealing with the terrible overcrowding in my opinion.

I think people who need to go to a food bank don't have the luxury to worry about things like that

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:03 pm
amother Violet wrote:
I think people who need to go to a food bank don't have the luxury to worry about things like that

I don't think you understand the extent of the overcrowding. I could really use the food but don't think it's worth dealing with being pushed and squished and having to wait 3,4 minutes while holding a heavy box to try to get out of the room.

If you come late, like at about 8:30, the crowd has thinned out a lot and then it is usually more manageable.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:10 pm
I don't think you understand the extent of the overcrowding. I could really use the food but don't think it's worth dealing with being pushed and squished and having to wait 3,4 minutes while holding a heavy box to try to get out of the room.

If you come late, like at about 8:30, the crowd has thinned out a lot and then it is usually more manageable.

Is there any food left by then?

Can someone please post details? Address, times, etc? I don't get the Voice.

Is it all kosher food?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:12 pm
Do they really give out diapers?

To the extent they provide all you need for twins?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:19 am
amother Sienna wrote:

I've seen diapers 2-3 times a year! There's usually a limit of a couple of packages per family!
So no, they do not provide all your needs for twins! LOL

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:46 am
amother Sienna wrote:

NO, they do not provide diapers. That happened once for a short time. It is mostly low quality produce. If your twins need low quality carrots and soft onions or off brand peanut butter, they will provide your needs.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:49 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
Is there any food left by then?

Can someone please post details? Address, times, etc? I don't get the Voice.

Is it all kosher food?

Yes, there is plenty left by then.

It is supposed to be all kosher but some times non-kosher gets mixed in. You have to check for yourself.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:52 am
As a side point, as some one who is trying hard to live frugally, I find that a lot of the ideas (gmachim, sales, etc. etc.) that were written in that voice column over the past while were made out to be much better than they really are.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:06 am
The time they gave out diapers there was some push on the state level to start a diaper bank for all the poor women who can't work because they can't afford diapers and daycare's will not take a kid without diapers.

It was one of the things they did to make it look like they are trying to do something about the worker shortage. It did not last to long.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:18 am
NO, they do not provide diapers. That happened once for a short time. It is mostly low quality produce. If your twins need low quality carrots and soft onions or off brand peanut butter, they will provide your needs.

This is really a horrible attitude

If someone needs food - and most food banks are set up to feed people who would otherwise actually be hungry - then peanut butter that isn't Skippy and carrots and onions that aren't up to your pristine standards would be welcome.

What kind of peanut butter do you think they use in most institutions. Hint - it is not Skippy.

And you cook the carrots and saute the onions.

If you read the actual stories of people who use food banks some of the parents will skip meals in order to feed their children because they simply don't have enough money to buy food.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:00 am
amother Quince wrote:
This is really a horrible attitude

If someone needs food - and most food banks are set up to feed people who would otherwise actually be hungry - then peanut butter that isn't Skippy and carrots and onions that aren't up to your pristine standards would be welcome.

What kind of peanut butter do you think they use in most institutions. Hint - it is not Skippy.

And you cook the carrots and saute the onions.

If you read the actual stories of people who use food banks some of the parents will skip meals in order to feed their children because they simply don't have enough money to buy food.

Very few people in the frum community are starving to the extent that they have use for tasteless carrots and onions that are so mushy that they are basically not useable. Yes, for someone who is near starving, they will do. But in Lakewood there is Tomchei Shabbos, Ahavas Tzedaka etc. etc. so basically no frum person is desperate to the point of starving. Just trying to be realistic and honest before people waste their time and energy - and deal with a very uncomfortable situation.

Some of the produce is better quality and useful but I don't think it is worth the hassle and dealing with the terrible overcrowding when they first open unless someone literally can't get onto both SNAP and Tomchei Shabbos and is truly desperate. Just my opinion.

Going a little later like at 8:25 is worthwhile in my opinion because then it is not so crowded and one can take the better produce (and skip the low quality ones - unless they are truly desperate) without having to deal with terrible overcrowding (and will be able to get decent parking).

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:13 pm
The parking there is insane and sakanos nefashos. I got my car nicked and scratched by someone there while I was in my car, but was terrified to get out of the car to alert the driver. He didn't stop (or care) and I didn't want to be run over. Street parking is a disaster and with people weaving through the cars when there no sidewalk or room for 2 cars to pass is a tragedy waiting to happen. I figured I would stop going in the winter when it's dark, but now that it's publicized in the voice it will likely be unbearable.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:05 pm
I was just there last night. I had a wonderful experience. Got there at about 8:15. Was crowded but nothing terrible. Beautiful produce. They were out of a couple of things by the time I registered and signed in, but I still came home with a lot. Definitely worth it. It was my first time, so I don't know what it's like always, but not at all the terrible experience I'm reading here.

Normally it's Tuesday at 8, though they mentioned next week is 6:30 and the next week after that will be on Monday (don't remember the time).

641-715-3900 ext. 971971#
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries