Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Number of dresses?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:35 am
My husband, like many I'm sure, chides me about how many dresses I have in my closet--mostly because between pregnancy, post-partum, nursing, different seasons etc. My weight has been like a yoyo. At one point I suggested getting something for yom tov and he said "on the condition that you get rid of stuff". Ok, so I just did a purge. What is your typical yom tov acquisition is it 1 per season? 2? 4 for the "Season" and then you get new next year? Or 1 and it lasts 3-4 years not caring what the latest trend is?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:37 am
I don't care about trends, but I also don't want to be hopelessly out of style. So there's a point where I purge, but I'm also still going to wear what I bought last year, and I don't care if I buy last year's style on sale for this year's YT, either. Truth is, I buy what I find, what I have patience for (I hate trying on clothes), what fits, etc...and I don't really stress about it. I also aim for clothes that are classic and stay in style, when I can find something that fits....

SuperWify

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:55 am
I keep some maternity. Everything else in my closet fits me. I don’t have space for other sizes.
I got 4 new outfits and gave away 5 from past seasons.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 10:57 am
I once read a statement from a designer- one in, one out- and I really try to follow that...
if I get a new pair of shoes, I try to throw out an old pair...
I usually think back if I used it over the last two years...if I did not, I throw it out/give it away...
I always have that niggling feelings...what if I'll need this shade sweater/cardigan ....one of my friends once told me the price of a uncluttered home is worth buying a repeat of something as needed occasionally- and she's so right!
I've been purging like crazy....(another big push was that I hired an organizer...every time she came was HUNDREDS...I was like, hello, I can throw out every single puzzle in my toy closet and buy two new ones instead of hiring her to come and spend hours sorting through them...)
I bought myself three new dresses for YT....2 didn't arrive yet, so not sure if I'm keeping all three...and I"YH I'll use some stuff from last year...

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:32 am
Buy one weekday and one Shabbos for summer and winter and throw out the thing you bought 4 yrs ago.

I alternate seasons between trendy and classy so I have some pieces that are in forever and can also be in style.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:56 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Buy one weekday and one Shabbos for summer and winter and throw out the thing you bought 4 yrs ago.

I alternate seasons between trendy and classy so I have some pieces that are in forever and can also be in style.

I have some very classy things from 4 years ago that I'd wear if I'd be that size.
I think sometimes it's a matter of pairing things in a more updated way. A old top with a longer skirt can be very up-to-date.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:35 pm
I dump the trendy things.
The point is not to suddenly find yourself with a whole wardrobe that needs updating.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:40 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

Sometimes the one you bought 4 years ago gets worn more often than the one you got 2 years ago. So I’d go according to what I actually wore most recently vs how old it is.

imaima

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband, like many I'm sure, chides me about how many dresses I have in my closet--mostly because between pregnancy, post-partum, nursing, different seasons etc. My weight has been like a yoyo. At one point I suggested getting something for yom tov and he said "on the condition that you get rid of stuff". Ok, so I just did a purge. What is your typical yom tov acquisition is it 1 per season? 2? 4 for the "Season" and then you get new next year? Or 1 and it lasts 3-4 years not caring what the latest trend is?

I am like you and have a lot of clothes in different size.
I think your dh is unreasonable. He should acknowledge that your body goes through hard work to breed and birth babies and yes it comes with the need of new clothing. It’s not „your fault“ that you are not thin again and need a new dress.
Buying new clothes is your simchas yom tov and it doesn’t say that you are only allowed when you purge first

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:46 pm
I'm having a close wedding so between all those sheva b I need a lot of clothes that fit.

Long engagement so I am buying affordable stuff as I find. I have some more classic pieces that I still wear.

I bought 2. I used 1 already, and 1 I am keeping for yt. Both are all year round things, accept in the 90 degree weathers, I wouldn't wear those cuz they are darkish colors.

I generally don't shop for yt. I have pretty "in style" maxi robes in my closet. If not, I get one every few years instead of a dress.

I have a hard time purging.. I feel like lots of money was spent. I do regularly go thru my weekday stuff and shoes and throw out. I have a hard time parting with wedding/shabbos wear.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:07 pm
Depending on finances I typically buy 1-2 new Shabbos/Yom tov outfits per season, and maybe 1-2 more on sale towards the end of the season that I are transitional or I can wear next year. This year I’m only getting a skirt for pesach because I need one and things are tight. I’ll probably buy one nice dress later in the summer, maybe for Shavuos.

I keep things I love and donate the rest. I go through my clothing and donate by every season change, but sometimes I know I can get rid of something from last year and sometimes it’ll take a couple seasons in storage to be confident I won’t wear it again.

Due to pregnancy and weight changes I basically have 2 non maternity wardrobes and some fall maternity pieces. Non-maternity each takes up 2-3 under bed storage boxes. That’s not including basics that I can wear year round — just season-specific items. I’m glad I didn’t get rid of everything from my heavier days because I’m bh pregnant again and starting to size out of stuff I was able to wear 3 months ago, but maternity won’t fit yet. I just went into storage and pulled out some cute skirts I thought I’d never get to wear again that will get me through pesach.

I’m very picky about clothing and tend to have a more classic/preppy/southern style than most frum ladies. While I choose clothing that is more “timeless” for the style it is, I often stick out anyway, so I don’t worry a whole lot about it not being perfectly on trend. I think my oldest Shabbos dress is 5-6 years old, and I definitely have skirts that are older.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:09 pm
imaima wrote:
I am like you and have a lot of clothes in different size.
I think your dh is unreasonable. He should acknowledge that your body goes through hard work to breed and birth babies and yes it comes with the need of new clothing. It’s not „your fault“ that you are not thin again and need a new dress.
Buying new clothes is your simchas yom tov and it doesn’t say that you are only allowed when you purge first

I hear your point for classy things but sometimes when you lose weight you want to treat yourself to new clothing or the old clothing are long out of style

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:22 pm
I don’t have the luxury of throwing things out. I can’t afford to buy a new a wardrobe every time I gain or lose (ha). I have maternity stuff for summer and winter, smaller summer and winter, larger smaller and winter. That’s a lot of clothes.

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:20 am
amother Bronze wrote:
I hear your point for classy things but sometimes when you lose weight you want to treat yourself to new clothing or the old clothing are long out of style

My points is that she can do whatever she wants
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics