Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o anyone else still wear shells?
Previous  1  2

Anyone else here still wear ahells?
I do  
 81%  [ 195 ]
No. I decided to stop on my own  
 16%  [ 39 ]
I stopped for peer pressure  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 240

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I do Hi

If something works for me, why would I stop doing it just because others don’t?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:44 pm
I wear shells all the time. I’m never stopping. I have always worn it to be tznius never worn it for style. It’s the most convenient item and I will never give it up. I live in Lakewood.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:47 pm
Not anymore. I hate layering!

So happy to wear tees/tops that don’t need shells under. The most I’ll wear is a tank.

For jumpers I’ll wear a tee over them or a ribbed tee under.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:20 pm
I never did to begin with. Either a garment is tzanua on its own or I don't buy it. In exceptional cases such as a gown to wear to a family wedding, I've had a seamstress abracadabra it so it's acceptable. But for ordinary everyday or Shabbos wear? Huh-uh.

I do sometimes wear a colorful T-shirt under a button-front shirt and leave the top button or two open so the contrasting underlayer provides a small splash of color. It's no different than wearing a scarf, except that I'm very well endowed and I don't need or want decoration resting on my chest. the shirt itself is always acceptable as is, though.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:24 pm
Never for sleeves, sometimes for see thru issues or a neckline.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:43 pm
I still wear them if I'm wearing a sleeveless dress. Don't have too many of those though anymore.
I also still wear them with sleeveless maxi dresses on shabbos as a robe.
I don't feel old fashioned in them.
I wear what I like, not necessarily what's in style.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:46 pm
I find I'm wearing them to close the collar gap more than I'm using them to replace sleeves, but might have more to do with me being in a nursing stage and winter than anything else.

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:42 pm
I wear them for another layer of warmth with most of my winter sweaters! Can’t believe nobody else does! I like the modal ones, so comfortable, and doesn’t add any bulk!

I’ve expanded the necklines of some of my shells so that it’s not visible.

Bonus: I wash my winter tops and dresses less often, as I wore them over shells.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
What is this a spin off of?

The short sleeve dress thread

gr82no

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:08 pm
I usually wear one.
I have a big head so in order for the shirt to get over my head it’s usually too open. Shells I have this problem less.
Some of my shirts the sleeves are see through
I like the feeling of a tucked in shirt no fear of my back being exposed and my outer shirt is never tucked in -looks horrible on me.
I’m super out of style and don’t care a bit. I wear what I like.
I try to get shells that are a thinner material because I hate the tight feeling

wiki

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:57 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I wear them for another layer of warmth with most of my winter sweaters! Can’t believe nobody else does! I like the modal ones, so comfortable, and doesn’t add any bulk!

I’ve expanded the necklines of some of my shells so that it’s not visible.

Bonus: I wash my winter tops and dresses less often, as I wore them over shells.

I also wear them for layering comfort all winter long under everything. And besides for that, I wear them under cardigans and jackets and vests and to cover keyhole backs, but generally not for sleeves.

That said, I still have some things from the era when they were in fashion to serve as the sleeves, and I do still occasionally wear them. I don't mind wearing old and no-longer-in-fashion styles here and there.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:59 pm
wiki wrote:
I also wear them for layering comfort all winter long under everything. And besides for that, I wear them under cardigans and jackets and vests and to cover keyhole backs, but generally not for sleeves.

That said, I still have some things from the era when they were in fashion to serve as the sleeves, and I do still occasionally wear them. I don't mind wearing old and no-longer-in-fashion styles here and there.

Same. For me the sleeves aren't about fashion. It gets hot here and I just candle handle the double layers. I also try not to but polyester for summer.

synthy

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:38 am
I wear a cotton shell almost every day. More comfortable, more tznius, and I don’t have to wash my tops or dresses every day (I sweat like a man).

ChalieB

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:08 am
Now that I'm nursing I stopped wearing shells, but before that I'd regularly wear them for Shabbat
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics