Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I give up! Someone help me find a solution
Previous  1  2

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:47 am
The first thing I did was get a large washing machine. It's I think 8 or 9 kg, so it fits a lot in. Sunday I sort out my washing in darks, lights, delicates and it takes me usually 1 wash per color, occasionally more, so I'm only doing 3 or 4 washes on average. I alternate weeks between towels and bedding so one week I wash towels and one week bedding. And that usually happens on monday.
I used to get the kids a lot of clothes but I really reduced that and it's a lot easier. I used to be washing clean clothes as they would pull everything out their drawer or closet and I wouldn't be able to sort what was clean and what wasn't and their rooms kept ending up a mess of clothes.

Raindance

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:22 am
Where do your kids get undressed at night?
Do they shower evening or morning?
Where do they drop clothing?
Can you do a quick rummagin through the house as part of bed time routine?
what is the harder step of the process of laundy for you?

Putting in hamper
sort
load machine
start it
take out
dry/hang
fold
put away

here are some ideas:

Putting in hamper:
The hamper should be next to where they get undressed. If they shower at night, have the hamper in the bathroom.
If they shower in the morning, have the hamper where they switch to PJs.

Sort:
This step can be omitted if there are sorting hampers and kids keep to them.
you can sort by color or kids or type. (only pants, only shirts, etc)

load machine:
Can be done at night or morning.
you can do one child's laundry each load and have set days: Monday Chayim, Tuesday Tamar, etc
or by room: Girls room, boys room, parents room and bathrooms/ kitchen(towels)
or by color: Monday black, Tuesday white etc
or by item: Monday one load of pants, load of PJ's,Tuesday one of shirts and one of underwear etc
call out for kids to look for x item while you count to 10. They scavenge and dump directly into the machine.

start it:
When the clothing won't sit wet for hours. so either at night and hang/dry in the morning, or in the morning and dry/hang afternoon, or afternoon and dry/hang at night.

take out:
and straight away
dry/hang:
You can put on hangers directly in the closet with a fan facing the clothes or just with the doors open.
If you hang on a drying rack, always hang the big things first and smaller items in between where you find space.
put in dryer and start straight away.

fold:
Straight from rack or dryer, don't make piles, just have a basket and each thing you bring out, fold and sort. The trick is to start folding from big to small so that your pile shrinks the fastest.

put away
or delegate each kid to put their own things away.

note: ADHD and ND people need schedules and set rules. If you find a rule that works for you, stick to it and make them help.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:44 am
My youngest kids sleep in their clothes for the next day (only works for kids who are dry through the night) That eliminates half the laundry for them
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry