Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Keeping everything sparkling all the time….
1  2  3  Next

How clean is your house on a random Tuesday?
Everything is near perfection all the time  
 7%  [ 9 ]
It’s clean but I deep clean once a month  
 14%  [ 18 ]
It’s clean and I deep clean 2x a year  
 16%  [ 21 ]
I deep clean just for pesach  
 23%  [ 30 ]
What deep clean? I just get rid of chometz  
 39%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 128

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:40 am
As I’m deep cleaning my carpets and scrubbing my car I can’t deny the fresh feeling when I open my fridge and there isn’t sticky grape juice all over. It’s nice that there are no missing chargers under my beds and Lego under my child’s. Look what just turned up? My AirPods, missing for 4 weeks…

How lovely that my matresses are finally stain free and that my pillows and blankets (not just the linen, the actual duvets) are freshly washed. Ahhh yummy. Amazing feeling to sit on a couch and not worry what spilled there in the past and that I’m not sitting on top of crumbs deep in the crevices of the couch…

My wigs are freshly set and repaired, eyebrows waxed, new clothing pristine, old clothing repaired and sent to cleaners if needed. Shoes freshly waxed. Fresh gel manicure if I get there in time!

You get my point. Everything if is perfect.

For now…

In a few days my car will be muddy again, there will be milk spilled in the fridge, the oven will get dirty, the matresses will have another inevitable pee thanks to unwelcome nocturnal visitors, the new shoes shoes will be scuffed and that white shirt will get a unremoveable stain. My eyebrows will need another wax and my silver a polish. My cupboards will be littered with crumbs again.

My musings as I scrub and shine.

I can give a deep lesson about trying hard each new year to make our souls sparkle then managing to soil them just days after but I’m not here for that. I’m literally simply wondering how to maintain perfection every day of the year. Is that possible? Do we even want that? (Here I go getting deep again) Is that even possible? (Imagine getting an eyebrow wax every time you get a new hair…) Do we even need that?

I deep my house (moving furniture, organizing, purging, cleaning matresses and turning them, cleaning carpets ect) clean twice a year. Car gets cleaned every 4 months.

I don’t think we can do much more. Who has time for that??? Yawn.

My house is cleaned on the baseline on the daily. Maybe we should let things go?

Hold on—- my toddler just spilled her cookie chometz cereal over my freshly cleaned fabric couch!!!!

Grab a coffee and take a few minutes well deserved break to share your thoughts on this with me.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:53 am
"Handprints

Author Unknown

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.
But every day I'm growing.
I'll be grown up someday.
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.
So here's a final handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small."

(Baruch Hashem for children!)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:00 am
How is your house so perfect before Rosh Chodesh Nissan?
It’s know the feeling but these days I don’t deep clean like you described. You got stains out of mattresses? Washed all the duvets? That’s not chometz so I just don’t do it.
I will probably live a pristine lifestyle one day when I live alone. It’s not feasible now.

tweety1

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:03 am
There's clean and there's clutter. My house is very clean on a random Tuesday but not necessarily clutter free.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:19 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
"Handprints

Author Unknown

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.
But every day I'm growing.
I'll be grown up someday.
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.
So here's a final handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small."

(Baruch Hashem for children!)

I have always loved this. Thanks for the reminder!

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:21 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
How is your house so perfect before Rosh Chodesh Nissan?
It’s know the feeling but these days I don’t deep clean like you described. You got stains out of mattresses? Washed all the duvets? That’s not chometz so I just don’t do it.
I will probably live a pristine lifestyle one day when I live alone. It’s not feasible now.

Should’ve put a disclaimer; I’m not making pesach but spring time is always a deep cleaning time for us regardless. That’s how I grew up and my mother always made pesach. It makes sense for me to do it now. I love the fresh feeling. If I was making a whole pesach I probably wouldn’t get to it.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:30 am
Ok so how do you get stains out of a mattress? Teach us.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:39 am
It's an impossible mission to maintain all of that all the time. Although I love that feeling of cleanliness and perfection very very much, life is busy and there are things and ideals more important than cleanliness. Therefore, practically I don't get to it as often as I'd like. I often repeat the quote to myself "Cleaning the house while kids are growing is like shoveling while it's still snowing."

On a separate note, the pressure that Pesach = perfection is something I've had to let go of, and I'm glad I did. My friend cannot stay home for Pesach if her curtains weren't washed and her seforim shank organized. She was freaking out at the thought. She had no one to go to for all of Pesach, but staying home in a chometz-free but not deep-cleaned house wasn't an option for her. I've had babies born right before/after Pesach, and literally had no choice but to learn how to do basic Pesach. I'm glad my children have learned that lesson too. We still deep clean before Pesach the years that we can, but it's not something that must happen.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:48 am
amother Brown wrote:
Ok so how do you get stains out of a mattress? Teach us.

There was an old method I used until now. It was complicated and took a lot of time.
You freshen up the whole thing with lots of baking soda, allow it to deodorize for up to 24 hours (not practical when you need to sleep in it…). Vacuum it up and then spray a mixture of vinegar, dish soap and water generously over stains and using a lot of elbow grease scrub them out.

I recently treated myself to a spot wash vacuum. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/vax-spo.....eaner
I don’t see my model here. But I am enjoying my new toy. I cleaned the mattresses in seconds, skipped the baking soda part for now and made sure to turn them. It cleaned in seconds and dried in a few hours. Because it sucks the dirty water back in.

I also used this item to clean all the carpets, rugs, fabric beds, chairs and couches. Even my child’s fabric rocking horse got a clean.

So yes, highly recommended if you have carpets. Carpets are so gross. The water comes back in literally black. And if you don’t have carpets it’s still worth it for the matresses.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:52 am
SuperWify wrote:
There was an old method I used until now. It was complicated and took a lot of time.
You freshen up the whole thing with lots of baking soda, allow it to deodorize for up to 24 hours (not practical when you need to sleep in it…). Vacuum it up and then spray a mixture of vinegar, dish soap and water generously over stains and using a lot of elbow grease scrub them out.

I recently treated myself to a spot wash vacuum. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/vax-spo.....eaner
I don’t see my model here. But I am enjoying my new toy. I cleaned the mattresses in seconds, skipped the baking soda part for now and made sure to turn them. It cleaned in seconds and dried in a few hours. Because it sucks the dirty water back in.

I also used this item to clean all the carpets, rugs, fabric beds, chairs and couches. Even my child’s fabric rocking horse got a clean.

So yes, highly recommended if you have carpets. Carpets are so gross. The water comes back in literally black. And if you don’t have carpets it’s still worth it for the matresses.

I wish the came in smaller. Can you post the link of the model you have from your order history?

SuperWify

pause wrote:
It's an impossible mission to maintain all of that all the time. Although I love that feeling of cleanliness and perfection very very much, life is busy and there are things and ideals more important than cleanliness. Therefore, practically I don't get to it as often as I'd like. I often repeat the quote to myself "Cleaning the house while kids are growing is like shoveling while it's still snowing."

On a separate note, the pressure that Pesach = perfection is something I've had to let go of, and I'm glad I did. My friend cannot stay home for Pesach if her curtains weren't washed and her seforim shank organized. She was freaking out at the thought. She had no one to go to for all of Pesach, but staying home in a chometz-free but not deep-cleaned house wasn't an option for her. I've had babies born right before/after Pesach, and literally had no choice but to learn how to do basic Pesach. I'm glad my children have learned that lesson too. We still deep clean before Pesach the years that we can, but it's not something that must happen.

Ok now we’re going down the memory lane! My mom had this on her fridge when we were younger. Crazy how clean her house is nowadays….

Last edited by SuperWify on Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ghostwhite

Please use water proof mattress protectors! We can’t live without them. One on every bed in the house.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:53 am
amother Brown wrote:
I wish the came in smaller. Can you post the link of the model you have from your order history?

It’s very similar to this. Very compact.

https://www.amazon.com/BISSELL.....=8-22

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 7:54 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Please use water proof mattress protectors! We can’t live without them. One on every bed in the house.

We all have waterproof… it still needs a clean every now and then….

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:12 am
Long ago I stopped yearning for perfection all at one time. Absent a large team of professionals working simultaneously, it's not possible
to clean everything at once. Dust does, after all, settle daily, and by tomorrow morning the floors will already be less clean than they were today. As it takes me roughly a month to 6 weeks to spring clean, by the time I finish washing the windows, the shower curtain is already getting grungy again, the cabinet under the kitchen sink is disarray and the new labels on the spice bottles are getting grease spots. The place is not, of course, in the sort of disarray it would be in if it had not been cleaned at all, but still...

Nevertheless, there is pleasure in individual items that are newly clean, and I imagine that visitors who have not experienced the gradual spiffying process do sense the overall cleanliness and order. Then again, my house is seldom a complete churban except after the grandchildren have been here, while the place is being painted, and during that transitional stage before it's fully Pesachdik.

Just kidding about the spice bottles. I replace labels at some random point,not as part of spring cleaning. Same thing with polishing pots and pans, bleaching stained dishes and Tupperware and so on. These are all tasks done whenever the spirit moves me, and a month before Pesach is definitely not it.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:16 am
Ok this thread is giving me a complex!

I maybe feel a tiiny bit that way when yomtov comes in.

Why are you all ready before rosh chodesh?
Why are you telling everyone here everything that youve done??

I feel like im back in school and my mother hasnt done any cleaning yet..!

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:47 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:

Any "spring cleaning' is really done before you get too close to pesach.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:49 am
SuperWify wrote:
We all have waterproof… it still needs a clean every now and then….

How do you clean a mattress?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:52 am
I have mattress covers… sometimes they get washed 🙈

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:58 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:

Ah yes, those were the days… I stayed up until 1 am cleaning out the pantry… who cares we already turned over the day after Purim… blah blah blah

Don’t get a complex please. I’m not making pesach. Just cleaning (and boasting).

Last edited by SuperWify on Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry