Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
6yo son started having accidents

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:11 am
My 6yo son started having accidents recently. He hadn't previously had accidents in at least 2.5/3 years during the day. It started at home but now mostly happens in school.

He doesn't seem stressed and is behaving normally otherwise. I'm taking him to the doctor to check for a UTI, but he's not showing signs of discomfort. He says that it's just that he's laughing too hard and can't hold it, but I'm not sure what to do about that or why it suddenly happened. When it did happen at home, it was right after he laughed.

How do I deal with this?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:15 am
Constipation and being backed up are the number 1 cause especially in boys. Even if you think he’s not he’s likely not sitting long enough and emptying fully. Have him sit on the toilet every day post supper for at least half an hour. Get him books or games to keep him there. See if it improves.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:15 am
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I will try that.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:17 am
Pinworms
Constipation
Strep throat
S-xual abuse (don't jump to this right away!)

tweety1

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:20 am
Check for strep. I had this recently with dd. I knew it can be a symptom of strep so I took her for a culture. It was positive. My sil has this officially with her kids. It's often the only symptom by them.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:21 am
It was strep when this happened to my son recently. He had no other symptoms.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:22 am
It’s usually constipation. The only thing that worked for my son was enemas - one every night for a month, then one every other night for the next month. He finally got cleared out and now doesn’t have these accidents anymore. The other methods didn’t work for us - he didn’t like ex lax or miralax and they didn’t work for us in any case.

metacognizant

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:23 am
I had an issue where my toilet trained 5 year old suddenly started having accidents and saying it burned to pee. I took him to the doctor, who tested for a UTI and it was negative. But we discussed his diet and she determined his sugar consumption had recently gone way up. He had started at a summer camp that provided truly insane, harmful amounts of candy everyday. The doctor said eating extremely high levels of sugar can mimic a UTI. Anyway, we cut down on his sugar intake drastically- we didn’t remove processed sugar completely but we made a rule that food would not be allowed in the house if it had more than 33% of its calories from sugar (this is easy to calculate from the nutritional facts on the package). In practice this means most baked goods are allowed but candy, juice, and chocolate milk are not. After making this change his accidents went away completely.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:39 am
Just had this last month with my 5 year old. It was strep. Completely resolved once I treated.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:45 am
amother Currant wrote:
Pinworms
Constipation
Strep throat
S-xual abuse (don't jump to this right away!)

I'm taking him to the doctor. I'm wondering about strep throat since it seems to be running around the family, even though we've had negative tests.

Re: the last one, I haven't seen any other changes in his behavior. He's happy and acting normal. I did speak to him about it because we've had multiple discussions about body safety, and nothing seemed out of order.

This is a kid who generally speaks his mind and also has some anxiety. If something out of the ordinary happened, I'm pretty sure it would show up elsewhere in his behavior. I'm monitoring him, but it doesn't seem to be stress-related.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:46 am
Could be something simple like constipation or a UTI, could be something as serious as diabetes (I know multiple people diagnosed with diabetes as children and pretty much all of them said the first big warning sign was suddenly having pee accidents when they were several years past the age of potty training). Definitely important to check out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:46 am
Strep and constipation both could possibly make sense here. He's definitely been constipated lately. I will take him to the doctor to check him out. Thanks for all the suggestions - definitely gives me what to ask about.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:47 am
amother Yellow wrote:
Could be something simple like constipation or a UTI, could be something as serious as diabetes (I know multiple people diagnosed with diabetes as children and pretty much all of them said the first big warning sign was suddenly having pee accidents when they were several years past the age of potty training). Definitely important to check out.

How did they know to check for diabetes? What are the first tests for a young kid?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:00 am
amother OP wrote:
How did they know to check for diabetes? What are the first tests for a young kid?

The initial test is a urine test. They check for glucose in the urine, and that would be an indication for blood tests and such. Also they would definitely try to rule out the simpler things first. And ask about other symptoms like if there's excessive thirst as well. I'm not trying to scare you, just that excessive urination is a super common warning sign so it's definitely not something you want to wait too long to check out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics