Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Suggest a random name
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:18 pm
I'm ultra chasidish and don't see what's modern about Noami, Rus, Batsheva. I know many many many ultra chasidish girls with these names. Its names straight from the Torah, Tanach, for heavens sake.
I'm guessing OP must be from a very closed minded community.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:52 pm
Chasidish here!
I know lots of Rissi's! Love the name!!

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:14 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
I'm ultra chasidish and don't see what's modern about Noami, Rus, Batsheva. I know many many many ultra chasidish girls with these names. Its names straight from the Torah, Tanach, for heavens sake.

I'm very modern and don't take offense, and I wouldn't assume OP is close minded. She must be from a mixed community because otherwise, how would she know what names the more modern give?

I don't see it as her "looking down" on the modern, but rather not wanting one of her children to be mistaken for something they're not.

If you name your son Ovadia, a perfectly kosher name, people will assume he is Sepharadi. If you name your son Michael, a perfectly kosher name, and he is fair complexioned, people will think he's Russian. If you name your daughter Yocheved or Batya, perfectly kosher names, people will assume (if they don't see her) that she's from an older generation. I would assume an Avichai or an Elroi is DL. I would assume a Chaya Mushka is Chabad, and a Fraidel is Chassidish...

Trying to avoid a name where people will make false assumptions about your child, does not make you close minded or bigoted.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:20 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Chasidish here!
I know lots of Rissi's! Love the name!!
Are the chassidish rissi's actually rus? I always assumed they were Risa. Or Rissel. Or some Yiddish name like that.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:39 pm
[quote="amother Butterscotch"]As someone who identifies as MO this is hurtful on so many levels.[/quote

I am not offended, but definitely did roll my eyes.
If you don’t want something used in the MO or DL world, you will have to go with something very Yiddish.

Going over my kids co-ed class lists, we have all Tanach names. If you name her Sprintzel, Frumma, or Krindel you are probably OK, but definitely not Esther, Miriam, or Shifra.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Are the chassidish rissi's actually rus? I always assumed they were Risa. Or Rissel. Or some Yiddish name like that.

Yup it’s ris- chassidish pronunciation for rus

Dont see what’s modern about any of those names and I’m Satmar

kenz

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 2:55 pm
Why does anyone care what OP finds too modern? She’s entitled to think what she wants. I actually think Rus is not the most attractive name; Naomi is often mispronounced; and Batsheva does have a modernish sound to it (not that that would bother me, just saying), while Bassheva just sounds wrong. So I probably wouldn’t use any of those names either. No one should take it personally though, just like I won’t take it personally if you tell me you don’t agree with my choices. To each his own.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am due imyh in sivan time. Maybe shavuos time. I don't have any family to name after or that I want to name after.

shavuos girls names like Rus, Naomi, batsheva (dovids wife) are all too modern

What kind of classic random name would you give? Tanach preferred (cannot do sara, rivka, leah) - I'm not giving a Yiddish name if I don't have to.

It could be a boy too! (Can't do dovid) but it's girls names I'm more stumped on

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am due imyh in sivan time. Maybe shavuos time. I don't have any family to name after or that I want to name after.

shavuos girls names like Rus, Naomi, batsheva (dovids wife) are all too modern

What kind of classic random name would you give? Tanach preferred (cannot do sara, rivka, leah) - I'm not giving a Yiddish name if I don't have to.

It could be a boy too! (Can't do dovid) but it's girls names I'm more stumped on

Sorry for empty post. Don't know how to delete. Someone else might have said this already but HaRav Chaim Kanievsky zt"l's Rebbetzin was Batsheva..and HaRav Aharon Leib Steinman's wife was Tamar.

So either of these I would consider totally not 'modern' to name (I am in the chareidi world)

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:12 pm
The whole thing will be easier if you have a boy.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:18 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:

Names are cultural and also have to sound write with the spoken language.
Every culture and sub-culture has perfectly normal Tanach names that our either out-dated, eccentric, or doesnt go with the spoken language they are currently using.

Some Tanach names do not go well with the Chasidish vernacular of Yiddish and OP rightly feels it will
come off uncomfortable on the tongue in her group.

This has nothing to do with close-mindedness.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:51 pm
Todres. It's a Yiddish variant of the Greek Theodoros, meaning "Gift of G-d", which would be "Matanyah" in Hebrew.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:34 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
As someone who identifies as MO this is hurtful on so many levels.

And this is a great example of taking things too personally. Like how exactly can you feel singled out and offended because I said that *I* find these names to be too modern for my family or my community?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:36 pm
kenz wrote:
Why does anyone care what OP finds too modern? She’s entitled to think what she wants. I actually think Rus is not the most attractive name; Naomi is often mispronounced; and Batsheva does have a modernish sound to it (not that that would bother me, just saying), while Bassheva just sounds wrong. So I probably wouldn’t use any of those names either. No one should take it personally though, just like I won’t take it personally if you tell me you don’t agree with my choices. To each his own.

Yes, I feel the same about all these names. Pronunciation becomes awkward.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:37 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
The whole thing will be easier if you have a boy.

It's time for NOT another boy though LOL
Who knows. Maybe I'll come back and update. All irrelevant until I actually give birth, to be honest, just a fun thread for me to start in the meantime

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
They're not too modern as in not frum enough, I just don't like them because they've become popular in more modern communities. Naomi/ nomi or batsheva / bassheva becomes like an awkward pronunciation thing too.

One word: HUH?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:56 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
I'm very modern and don't take offense, and I wouldn't assume OP is close minded. She must be from a mixed community because otherwise, how would she know what names the more modern give?

I don't see it as her "looking down" on the modern, but rather not wanting one of her children to be mistaken for something they're not.

If you name your son Ovadia, a perfectly kosher name, people will assume he is Sepharadi. If you name your son Michael, a perfectly kosher name, and he is fair complexioned, people will think he's Russian. If you name your daughter Yocheved or Batya, perfectly kosher names, people will assume (if they don't see her) that she's from an older generation. I would assume an Avichai or an Elroi is DL. I would assume a Chaya Mushka is Chabad, and a Fraidel is Chassidish...

Trying to avoid a name where people will make false assumptions about your child, does not make you close minded or bigoted.

Batya and Yocheved are older generation names? Fraidel is chassidish?
Michael is Russian?
In my very standard Lakewood community I am very confused. These are all just regular names

newinbp

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:27 pm
This thread was enlightening for me since I never heard of rissi, how cute?! I didn't realize that rus in chassidshe pronunciation was ris.
OP did you get any good name ideas? And you said not dovid for a boy and it may be a boy...
What about Yosef? I think his yortzheit is in June.
Or shavuos time is before the 3 weeks and all that but you could always do something like Menachem, or all those names.
Or coming from after pesach Moshe, Aaron, etc
Hatzlacha and feel good! Easy pesach prep

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:30 pm
To clarify, I’m not offended that OP finds the names too modern—every community has its own naming norms and it’s totally fine to go with that. It’s the part where she said “not modern as not frum enough”.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:33 pm
Op, are you a bt?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names