Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any families living in a mobile home park?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:36 am
And how do you like it? We are thinking of buying an rv and homeschooling our kids and living in a mobile home.....

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:40 am
Trailer park/mobile home families/kids don't have the best reputation out there. They're considered low class. Why would you want to do that? Kids (and adults) need space. As well as time apart from each others. Being together in a cramped space 24/7, and not even going to school, seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I don't get why anyone would do that to their children. Kids need a social life and friends besides for their siblings.

shaqued_almond

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:48 am
You need to be a special person to do both. But don't go to trailer parks. If anything go to state parks and RV resorts.
Here's an article about a Jewish family homeschooling in their RV:

https://aish.com/why-is-this-j.....n-rv/

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:59 am
Here's a fascinating blog by a family that did this for 3 years, though they were constantly on the move and didn't live in a fixed park:

https://lookbeforeyoulive.com/

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:05 am
The park areas that people live in permanently are usually filled with seedy people. If you are moving around and going to tourist type of park areas then that's a different story.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:20 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Trailer park/mobile home families/kids don't have the best reputation out there. They're considered low class. Why would you want to do that? Kids (and adults) need space. As well as time apart from each others. Being together in a cramped space 24/7, and not even going to school, seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I don't get why anyone would do that to their children. Kids need a social life and friends besides for their siblings.

This is literally just your opinion. And isn't true at all about homeschooling or what constitutes a social life for kids, per actual research. It's okay to have an opinion but just be clear that it's your personal judgment.

Reminds me of an interview I heard with Sarah (from article linked above) where the interviewers were all "Why would you even WANT to do this?" Literally as she's going into detail about the benefits she's seen and how much it's working for her family and how her kids are thriving.

chestnut

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:21 am
amother OP wrote:
And how do you like it? We are thinking of buying an rv and homeschooling our kids and living in a mobile home.....

What are your reasons for doing it?

GLUE

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:06 am
When you live in a mobile park you don't live in an RV but a mobile house AKA a trailer. The houses usually don't move and are there long term.

Trailer parks have a bad rap because many of them were build with Section 8 $$$. Trailer parks are also places were poor people live so that's what gives them the bad rap.

Are trailer parks bad?
That depends on witch ones. Places were you can't sublet your trailer and every place is owner owned and occupied are better then places that are rented out. If you are planning to live in one do your research before you move in.

If you plan on moving into a RV, please do your research on the laws\rules regarding on how long you can stay in a place. It is also a good idea to find all the free spaces you can stay in, other wise your housing expenses can be more than if you live in a stand a lone house.
You will also have to factor in how much it will cost for electric, water, sewer ect.. and I am sure more stuff that I can't think of.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:16 am
Btw something to keep in mind it’s dangerous for kids not to be buckled properly while driving. And only the seat belts in the front seat are safe and there is no where ri properly install a car seat. So it’s better to have an actual car and get the one you attach to your car so that the kids are safe while you drive. In an accident rvs tend to break in half and everyone goes flying causing very serious injuries.

STovah

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:24 am
I might be wrong here but I think RVs and mobile homes are two different things. Trailer parks/mobile homes would typically be a community where you rent or lease a pad to set up your trailer/mobile home. RVs are the things you drive around in and can also sleep in. Maybe some trailer parks accommodate RVs? Mobile homes are generally not moved from place to place unless you’re evicted or
moving to a different community.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:36 am
I don't think there are mobile park homes near frum infrastructure (walking distance to shuls ect). They also tend to be seedy places. I get the appeal of living a debt free, tuton + rent free lifestyle, but I don't think it is supper compatible with frum life, unless it is a temporary measure for a few years so that you can afford a property near a shul at least.

I think if you are moving around touristy rv parks it can be a whole different story and work. Though with gas prices and fees in such parks it probaly isnt super cheap.

If you dont care about walking distance to shuls, you can probably buy a cheap piece of land anywhere and put a mobile home/yurt/tiny home on it for cheap.

Quick search gave me a bunch of options under within 1 hour dr of frum communities. If you do care about walking distance to shul, its more complicated but there may be options that don't exactly have a young growing jewish community with schools ect. but have a shabbos minyan, I wou;dnt know

https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....1324/
https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....9977/
https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....2264/
https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....2922/

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:39 am
Mountaindale?

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:43 am
Can you tell us the reason you are interested in moving to a mobile home? do you not own a home? Is it money wise? it might be good but please prepare yourselves. sit with DH on how long, where, you will be? Is it a safe area for your children and yourselves? will your children be able to learn by homeschooling? are you near shopping, Doctors? things that you need daily? what about yiddishkeit? going to Shul? Praying? shabbat meals? If you think of all these things in advance, then it could work for your family.

small bean

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:02 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
I don't think there are mobile park homes near frum infrastructure (walking distance to shuls ect). They also tend to be seedy places. I get the appeal of living a debt free, tuton + rent free lifestyle, but I don't think it is supper compatible with frum life, unless it is a temporary measure for a few years so that you can afford a property near a shul at least.

I think if you are moving around touristy rv parks it can be a whole different story and work. Though with gas prices and fees in such parks it probaly isnt super cheap.

If you dont care about walking distance to shuls, you can probably buy a cheap piece of land anywhere and put a mobile home/yurt/tiny home on it for cheap.

Quick search gave me a bunch of options under within 1 hour dr of frum communities. If you do care about walking distance to shul, its more complicated but there may be options that don't exactly have a young growing jewish community with schools ect. but have a shabbos minyan, I wou;dnt know

https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....1324/
https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....9977/
https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....2264/
https://www.landandfarm.com/pr.....2922/

There's a mobile park home in jackson across from royal Grove, so definitely walking distance to a shul. I'm sure there's others.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:10 pm
if your reason for wanting this is only for the experience and getting to travel without being tied down, you can do Airbnb instead. That way you are more flexible with location options but free to check out any time.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:11 pm
small bean wrote:
There's a mobile park home in jackson across from royal Grove, so definitely walking distance to a shul. I'm sure there's others.

My sister was looking to by there she said the insides look like regular small houses. The neighborhood was or is safe. One problem she had was the rent for the spot was $700 a month. I did point out that you are not getting cheaper real estate taxes any were.

Still s OP looking to live in Lakewood area or some were else.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:13 pm
It's an interesting idea to found a new community like that.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:19 pm
We’re an RVing family but never ever long term. By the end of our longer trips everyone is verrrrry happy to get back home.

I don’t know about trailer parks, but I’ve been in nicer campgrounds as well as super cheap ones and let’s just say that the super cheap ones are NOT where you’d want to spend extended periods of time.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:08 pm
When I my kids were fewer and younger, I also dreamed of such a lifestyle, but never seriously because my husband is as conventional as they come. Honestly I think it's a healthier lifestyle for little kids than one in which both parents are running ragged trying to pay for housing and tuition and are barely around their kids and always rushed when they are.
But if your kids are older, certainly by preteen age, it's vital to their development to have a life outside the family.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:09 pm
Dh and I dream about doing this. We would travel though
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating