Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
My garage is full to the brim with junk

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:31 pm
Idk what to do. It’s not chometz or pesach cleaning. How do you have time to go over it.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:59 pm
I do a little at a time. Set aside 30
Minutes here or there you can accomplish a lot in that time

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:01 pm
If its not chametz, its not a priority at the moment. After Pesach you can set aside a few Sundays to work through it gradually.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:01 pm
Don't tackle it now obviously.

The way to do it is to set a timer for 15 minutes. Have three bins - throw out; donate and keep. For the donate stuff, put it in the trunk of your car and then periodically drop off at your favorite thrift or charity.

Be ruthless about what you are keeping.

When the timer is rings, stop.

That way, the task doesn't seem so formidable. The garage didn't become filled with garbage in one week so no need to declutter it in one week.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:33 pm
The only way I can tackle a job that huge is by choosing between throwing things out or putting things in their rightful place. If I start with donating and giving away it becomes too overwhelming both from a headspace factor and time wise.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:38 pm
mommyhood wrote:
The only way I can tackle a job that huge is by choosing between throwing things out or putting things in their rightful place. If I start with donating and giving away it becomes too overwhelming both from a headspace factor and time wise.

It isn’t difficult as I just give everything to a thrift shop I support.

I don’t spend mental energy to donate to different places. I put the bags in my trunk and when I pass the thrift store I drop off. I donate to a thrift that is convenient to me with parking right at the donation spot.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:43 pm
If its really junk you dont want or need you can have a hauling company come in and clear it out. Not cheap but easy. I have done it a few times and have yet to miss anything I tossed.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:01 pm
Don’t tackle now
But if you can tackle 3 boxes a week it adds up
Do you have lots of confidential papers
Make sure to shred them
Soon you’ll get your garage back

DO you need to take the things to the city dump? Or do you schedule a pick up

Once you have your garage back you need to put a plan for the uncontrollable clutter

WARNING - if DH or kids are pack rats you may not have their cooperation

momX4

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:35 pm
Once a year I empty out the garage completely. I try to only put back things we use/need. Every pesach it gets a bit emptier, and then fills up as the year goes kn.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:47 pm
Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One forkful at a time.
Rome wasn't burned in a day. Slow and steady wins the race. "Parah Parah" and we'll leave off the second part of the expression.

IOW, regardless of how big the project, you tackle it a little at a time. One trunk, one shelf, one drawer, one sack, one shoebox, or five minutes here and fifteen minutes there, or some combination thereof. Start at the top and work your way down, or start at the front and work your way back, doesn't matter. As others have said, don't start now unless you go away and sell your whole house for Pesach, because right now you need to plan for Pesach.

Get your family to help, unless they're the sort who will want to hang on to everything. If family is not a good choice, get a friend who likes getting rid of things. Get two!

More important than where you begin or how long it takes you is your mindset. If you truly want to clear out the junk, you must be ruthless about what you classify as "junk." If it's really junk like broken furniture and appliances, old paper (make sure there's no personally identifying information on any of it), dried-out paint and spackle, put it immediately in the trash or recycling or hazardous waste bin as appropriate. If it's usable stuff (be honest here; nobody wants your collection of 25 years of National Geographic or your grandmother's chipped china or your notebooks with three pages left in them ) consider either holding a yard sale, bringing the merch to a charity thrift shop, or simply putting it on the sidewalk with a big sign FREE STUFF. If none of these is feasible, just put the stuff out with the trash according to your municipal trash pickup regulations.

Highstrung

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:03 pm
Like everyone says , slow and steady wins the race.
What I did in my garage this week was break down and fold up a bunch of card board boxes stacked together ready for recycling day.

After that , I found lots of random shopping bags and bags with clothes to give away that I would leave in the garage throughout the year. I packed it all together in garbage bags and will bring it to the local frum second hand store.

Next week we plan on tossing large broken items , example : broken ping pong table, office desk and a broken bike/scooter .

As we make space , it’s easier to start organizing all the small stuff.

Surrendered

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:14 pm
Schedule 15 minutes a day to declutter.
How to determine what to keep, give away, trash:
Don't spend more than 30 seconds per item and
Ask yourself the following questions:
*when did I use this last?
*when do I plan to use it next, will I use it within the next year? (Not worth saving for use in several years).
*Does this item bring me pleasure or joy?
*Do I have the space for it/is it worth the space it uses?
Don't just save an item because you own it. You're paying rent on the space for each item kept.
If it has served its purpose, has been used well, let it go. (if still in a good condition) give it away.
If it is a sentimental or memorable item- take a photo of it and let it go, or let someone else enjoy it.
*Can someone else use it more than me?
*you can advertise in on a giveaway group chat or drop it off to a thrift shop.

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:35 pm
Pay a service to clean it out and haul it away.

You are right: you don’t have time to go through it so don’t- just get rid of it all and you will feel so much better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics