Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Have you printed your own bar mitzvah invitations? Need help

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:54 am
I made an invitation in Canva and want to print it using our printer. I bought some cardstock on Amazon.

Have you done this before? If you have, I have a couple of questions...

Why do people tend to get the invitations printed at a store (kinkos) instead of doing it themselves? Is it hard or something?

I need to make an insert for people who are invited to the Bo Bayom. Do you have a link of the type of paper you used for this? I can't figure out what size makes sense...

Any tips on printing addresses on envelopes? That's the only part that intimidates me a bit.

Thank you so much! Anyone who responds is doing a huge chessed!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:17 am
1/8 page cardstock for the inserts.
Address labels, I think Avery has a template for the various sizes.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:23 am
A few years ago and prior, we did 3 simple bar mitzvah invitations ourselves but printed at staples. The reason we printed at Staples was because their printing quality was better than our printer and it was relatively cheap back then. For the inserts, I used regular sized paper and cut it into 4. Staples had a cutting machine so we used that to cut the inserts. We did black ink only so it was cheaper as well. We created the invitation in Microsoft Word and didn't use Canva or anything similar. So not sure if that matters.

We did print the addresses at home and it was stressful as I am a bit of a perfectionist and they weren't as straight as I would have liked. Have some extra envelopes in case some come out slanty and you need to reprint.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:52 am
My home printer kept jamming.

Plus home print ink is expensive. Make sure you do the. Ath. Might not be cheaper.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:12 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
My home printer kept jamming.

Plus home print ink is expensive. Make sure you do the. Ath. Might not be cheaper.

Hm, that makes sense. We buy off-brand ink for $15 a cartridge. Just called Staples and it would be about $100 not counting envelopes...so I think we're still going to try. We'll use labels for the envelopes so they'll be easier to print, I think.

Open to other experiences, especially on paper size and how to avoid technical glitches.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:20 pm
I used clear labels for the envelopes. Much simpler than trying to print onto the envelope.
We printed at a print store because I wanted blue ink, it looked prettier and more professional.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 4:27 pm
The paperless post online or on a jewish website are so convenient too.. easy and just need their emails much cheaper too.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:10 pm
I'm doing it now. I bought an invitation kit from Amazon that includes response cards and envelopes. It had a template to download and that's what I used to create it. We are printing them at home. I had a hard time figuring out the envelopes and I couldn't figure out which size labels to use instead when the envelope wouldn't print properly. In the end we went to a print shop a friend recommended and they are printing the addresses for us on the envelopes.

Happykind

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:45 pm
I’ve created my own invitations to be sent via text message. My son still wanted printed ones for his Rebbe.. so I sent it to a printing store to print about 20 for him to hand out to those he wanted to.
It was so much easier. I emailed it to copy store and they printed 4 on a page for me hard paper. Came out lovely.

By the way there’s frum websites that have templates and all you need to do is add your information. Minimal fee. But that’s for the creating of the invite. U still need to print it.

kiwi8

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 5:16 pm
Which Jewish places are reasonable and have beautiful/ modern templates?

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 6:19 pm
you can try theprintedwordinvitations.com they were just featured on between carpools

amother
Topaz

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 10:57 am
amother Chambray wrote:
The paperless post online or on a jewish website are so convenient too.. easy and just need their emails much cheaper too.

What Jewish websites are there for invitations?

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 11:05 am
I printed our own on card stock for the class and everyone else got it via text or email. I made two separate ones one for shabbos and for the party and sent them all out via text or email. I think I only mailed two invites.

I did it all at home since I only had to print 20 invites for the class and rebbeim.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 6:03 pm
I used Simchacard.com. so easy and convenient

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 6:07 pm
I printed myself. People don't do it because they probably don't realize they can . Lol. And because figuring out the wording , etc, can get complicated.
When I need to insert an extra card, I think we used to same as the response card size. Not positive, though, it was a few years ago

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Sep 02 2023, 7:05 pm
I did it.
Wasn't worth it emotionally.
I'm a perfectionist.

I don't have a printer, so I used a kinkos type store.
My design was half a cardstock (these stores will paper slice for almost free)
When they printed it, it didn't align the way it did when I printed from a PDF and therefore the margins didn't come out so centered which really bothered me after I had worked so hard to make my invitation perfect

The inserts I also made, 4 to a page, and had the store slice it horizontally and vertically.

I saved a few hundred dollars because my invitations were less than $100, but I had lots of agmas nefesh.

Then again, my friend had all her professional BM invitations with a typo in the name because she didn't catch it.

And another friend barely got her invitations in time.

There's a certain amount of agmas nefesh that each person has when making a simcha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics