Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Credit card vs affirm

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:04 pm
I'm not great with money or numbers so please break this down slowly and clearly for me. What is the difference between buying something on my credit card or buying it with some stretched out payment plan like affirm? I don't have the large chunk available upfront but I can pay off my credit card from my paychecks over a few months. I am buying the product that's not the question. The question is which way makes more sense?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:09 pm
affirm is generally interest free so it's worth it in that sense

cookier

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not great with money or numbers so please break this down slowly and clearly for me. What is the difference between buying something on my credit card or buying it with some stretched out payment plan like affirm? I don't have the large chunk available upfront but I can pay off my credit card from my paychecks over a few months. I am buying the product that's not the question. The question is which way makes more sense?

If you’re good about fully paying down your credit card, it depends which has a better interest rate or if you get any perks from your credit card. If you’re going to let it sit on your card and only make minimum payments, then affirm would be better even if the interest rate is higher because it forces you to pay it off faster.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:58 pm
Affirm is interest free. I have it set to autopay so the installment is automatically taken out of my account each month. It’s great for big purchases.

Credit cards normally charge interest and I have my credit card bills set to be automatically paid in full each month. So it doesn’t help with spreading out the cost of something big.

It’s true that you don’t get points when you pay with affirm. But from my perspective you get an interest free loan for a few months. Depends which one is more important to you.

cookier

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:38 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
Affirm is interest free. I have it set to autopay so the installment is automatically taken out of my account each month. It’s great for big purchases.

Credit cards normally charge interest and I have my credit card bills set to be automatically paid in full each month. So it doesn’t help with spreading out the cost of something big.

It’s true that you don’t get points when you pay with affirm. But from my perspective you get an interest free loan for a few months. Depends which one is more important to you.

Affirm is only universally interest free with their pay in 4 plan. Monthly installment plans are 0-36% interest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics