Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Pesach destinations and why I hate social media

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:43 pm
I didn't want to get on my soapbox while op was seeking support so I started this thread to say my piece.

Yes, some people have more and some have less. Some have money to spend Pesach (and now I learned the weeks before too) in exotic locations while others are just getting by and Some need to accept help. Some have many children or grandchildren while others have few and maybe even none. Some have family to spend yt with while some have few options and others have none. Some are clothing shopping in high end stores outfitting their families in brand new wardrobes while others are buying each person just one new thing at lower end shops and some can barely buy their family Things that they need.

Every time you pick up your phone and see what everyone has that you don't, it stings. It hurts. It's in your face. My friend, sister, colleague, cousin has what I don't have, has what I need, or has what I want.

Yes, I know all the speeches. Don't look, keep scrolling, it's not meant for you. Live within your means, never spend money you don't have, blah blah blah.

It puts a tremendous emotional strain on people to constantly be seeing what others have. I really wish we didn't do this to ourselves. It's destroying us from the inside, eroding our sense of self, sucking the joy out of life, killing our sense of self. There's no way that this is beneficial to anyone. I wish it wouldn't be a thing.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:44 pm
This is exactly why I never post on social media other than strictly business. Why should I show off and cause pain to others?

I know what it’s like.

I also don’t wear designer logos.

I also mute any chats statuses etc with people who do picture brag.
And I’m not on Instagram unless looking for a recipe or outfit.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:46 pm
I personally enjoy sitting home and seeing videos of others in exotic locations. It is entertainment for me. They're so out of my league, like a different universe than me, that there's no jealousy or ill feelings at all. Just entertainment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics