Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Imamother vs IRL re health and safety opinions
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:16 pm
Anyone feel like Imamother is totally different than IRL opinions re children's health and safety?

For instance coats in car seats. I learned on Imamother that it can be very dangerous if there is a crash. But IRL, everyone I see has their kids wearing puffy coats when strapped into their carseats.

Same goes for blankets with baby in crib. Or everyone I see IRL has their babies in high top European style shoes, while on Imamother only Robeez are OK. Etc

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:28 pm
Everything is much more dramatic on imamother island, I take everything said on here with a few bricks of salt

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone feel like Imamother is totally different than IRL opinions re children's health and safety?

For instance coats in car seats. I learned on Imamother that it can be very dangerous if there is a crash. But IRL, everyone I see has their kids wearing puffy coats when strapped into their carseats.

Same goes for blankets with baby in crib. Or everyone I see IRL has their babies in high top European style shoes, while on Imamother only Robeez are OK. Etc

Just because you see people doing less than optimally safe things, doesn’t make them safe or desirable.

On the other hand, I would not take the advice of an anonymous person without checking with reputable sources. Doctors or consumer information sites or respected media sources to evaluate.

Regarding coats in car seats, that is a valid safety measure. Most of the time it won’t matter until it does. That is why it is stupid to rely on anecdotal statements that someone does something and no harm. At one time there were no seat belts or car seats and kids would stand up in the back seat. Children survived for the most part but would you nit use a car seat or seat belts? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I see a lot of unsafe stuff advised because people claim they never got sick. Most recently whether to leave soup out all night. Or using the same hand towels everyone uses.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

I do all these "imamother" things IRL so maybe it depends who you're seeing in your real life.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:36 pm
I'm a pediatric NP. The advice about no coats in carseats and no blankets in cribs are from the AAP guidelines and part of the standard instructions we give to parents during well visits. Believe it or not there's actually a list of topics we need to cover in order for the visit to be reimbursed by insurance.

If and when AAP revises its guidelines then the recommendations will change. Once patients are out of the office I can't really control what they do in their personal life.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:39 pm
I actually asked my ped after I had a thread a while ago about a blanket in the crib. He said that it was fine (not for a newborn but for a somewhat older baby)

watergirl

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think this is community dependent.

I've never seen a baby in a car seat that is in an actual car in a puffy coat. Everyone today knows how dangerous that is. Same with blankets and babies in a crib. And I know literally no one who buys into the European shoes or clothing thing.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:45 pm
Here are the AAP guidelines for safe sleep:

https://www.aap.org/en/news-ro.....rics/

tweety1

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 3:27 pm
I am who I am who I am. I never knew how to fake and I don't think I'll ever learn

honey36

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 3:46 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Here are the AAP guidelines for safe sleep:

https://www.aap.org/en/news-ro.....rics/

This says you should share a room with baby until 6-12 months. Who actually does that, lol. Do the people who make these guidelines even have kids?

OP, I totally agree with you and make fun of these things all the time. Especially the hygiene stuff. Like what's going to happen to your kids if they only shower once a week? As long as they don't smell, I think that's fine. (For the record, my kids do shower more often than that, but I don't judge others who are too busy or whatever)

Or like if one kid is sick, try not to spread the germs with other kids in the house . Lol. Anyone who has kids/toddlers knows that of they have a runny nose, the germs are literally everywhere. It's a losing battle so why make yourself crazy? Kids get sick, that's part of life.

What's funny to me is that the safety and hygiene stuff is so important, but the nutrition no one really cares about.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04027

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:05 pm
honey36 wrote:
This says you should share a room with baby until 6-12 months. Who actually does that, lol. Do the people who make these guidelines even have kids?

I did that with all my kids and a majority of people I know do that to.....

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:09 pm
I am appalled by the lack of safety knowledge on imamother. In the real world I live in everyone knows that coats in car seats cause kids to fly out and die in a crash. Everyone knows babies suffocate on blankets and die. Only in here do I hear people talk about convenience and play god.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:12 pm
honey36 wrote:

OP, I totally agree with you and make fun of these things all the time. Especially the hygiene stuff. Like what's going to happen to your kids if they only shower once a week? As long as they don't smell, I think that's fine. (For the record, my kids do shower more often than that, but I don't judge others who are too busy or whatever)

Or like if one kid is sick, try not to spread the germs with other kids in the house . Lol. Anyone who has kids/toddlers knows that of they have a runny nose, the germs are literally everywhere. It's a losing battle so why make yourself crazy? Kids get sick, that's part of life.

What's funny to me is that the safety and hygiene stuff is so important, but the nutrition no one really cares about.

Again these are best practices.

Kids get dirty. They don't necessary wipe so thoroughly either. In terms of showers, part of hygiene is instilling appropriate habits they then carry on with in later life. Most kids don't have to be supervised when showering after a certain age so what is the issue?

There are ways to attempt to isolate a sick child. Yes kids are pestilence bearers but that doesn't mean you just don't try to take measures like cleaning very well in terms of surfaces and trying to isolate the child in a separate bedroom to minimize exposure. You create a "sick room" and keep the kids out of the room. You wash the bathroom even more diligently than normal taking special care with surfaces that are touched like toilet levers, knobs and faucets.

I think the imamother post you linked was extreme because that involved actual allergies as I recall. However, most parents I know do attempt to provide good nutrition and eating habits for their children and limit the amount of junk as much as possible and/or have the "nosh" be healthier - e.g. whole wheat pretzels instead of potato chips.

Many people follow safety guidelines as suggested by their pediatricians.

Also if you adjust it to middle class parents who are concerned about their children, the percentage would be significantly higher than including not well educated parents who don't take care of their kids so carefully in general.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:34 pm
Please please no coats in carseats!

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:40 pm
honey36 wrote:

People should wake up and realize that these agencies don't actually give a hoot about anyone's health or safety. They're all about lining their own pockets. They are basically pharma reps. That doesn't mean that everything they say is false, but they neither are they some kind of divinity to be worshipped. Use your brains, people. It's 2023 and America's state of health is nothing to be admired.

https://www.aap.org/en/philant.....ners/

Oh and your pediatrician isn't some kind of parenting guru either. They are good for running bloodwork, strep tests and viral panels, diagnosing acute issues and dispensing medication when needed. Their training basically consists of matching clusters of symptoms to allopathic drugs. They are NOT experts at feeding, sleeping, breastfeeding, childrearing, preventing or treating chronic illnesses, and treating mild, normal health issues.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:41 pm
There's ideal, and there's what people do, and they're not always the same. This is because people are fallible, lazy, self-indulgent, careless, in a rush, and occasionally even ignorant through no fault of their own. Were it not so, no one would smoke, do recreational drugs, jaywalk, overeat, leave young children home alone, climb ladders with both hands full, or eat confectioner's-sugar-coated cookies while wearing black cashmere.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
People should wake up and realize that these agencies don't actually give a hoot about anyone's health or safety. They're all about lining their own pockets. They are basically pharma reps. That doesn't mean that everything they say is false, but they neither are they some kind of divinity to be worshipped. Use your brains, people.

And a conspiracist theorist emerges posting anonymously of course 😂😂 It is as inevitable as might will follow day that one or more emerge in every thread dealing with best health or safety practices as advised by non controversial sources like pediatric associations.

Are pediatricians in a vast conspiracy aligned against puffer coats and blanket manufacturers.

And the conspiracy types always think they are shrewder and know more than those of us who evaluate sources of information.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:47 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
People should wake up and realize that these agencies don't actually give a hoot about anyone's health or safety. They're all about lining their own pockets. They are basically pharma reps. That doesn't mean that everything they say is false, but they neither are they some kind of divinity to be worshipped. Use your brains, people. It's 2023 and America's state of health is nothing to be admired.

https://www.aap.org/en/philant.....ners/

How do you use your brains? Do you need to see a dead child on the road to understand what happens to those that wear coats in car seats? Do you need to see a dead baby in a crib to understand what happens when a baby suffocates on a blanket? What do they gain from you not using a coat and blanket?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:47 pm
honey36 wrote:
This says you should share a room with baby until 6-12 months. Who actually does that, lol.

Me. I'm a real person. I think only one of my kids was out before 12 months. 6 months is so young!

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:52 pm
honey36 wrote:

I have 5 kids and shared my room with all of them when they were babies. I don’t use coats in the car seat and try not to spread germs among siblings. Same for most people I hang out with. This thread is so weird.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics