Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you use melatonin? What age is your child?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 3:36 pm
Pls list the pros and cons. For a kid under 6. Ty

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 3:45 pm
Absolutely not
I read a book or 3. Lay with my kids. Scratch their backs and let them play with 2 little toys in bed or whisper to each other.

I wouldn’t be okay with letting my kids be dependent on something else. Same reason I don’t drink coffee. Don’t want to be dependent on something rlse

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 3:46 pm
After years of her going to bed close to 10, yes. .5mg is enough.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:27 pm
I have an ADHD 8 year old on meds, which keep her up, so usually use melatonin. Started on .5 when she was about 5, now up to 1 - 1.5. This was following my Doctors advice, so I suggest you speak to your pediatrician too for your specifics.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:57 pm
Nope.

Sleep is a natural activity. There’s no need to intervene to make it more convenient.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:59 pm
My 4 year old gets at bedtime on the rare occasion she naps because otherwise her sleep cycle is totally messed up

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:00 pm
My five year old take 0.25 for the last year. He is a different child because he is waking up rested.
I hate the fact that he needs it but I see what a difference it is.
He used to be so difficult in the morning especially, constantly trying to get his way and he is bh because such a nice and gentle kids.
Before he was taking it, he couldn't fall and asleep and then he couldn't wake up in the morning. Now if he goes to be on time he is so well rested.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:22 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Absolutely not
I read a book or 3. Lay with my kids. Scratch their backs and let them play with 2 little toys in bed or whisper to each other.

I wouldn’t be okay with letting my kids be dependent on something else. Same reason I don’t drink coffee. Don’t want to be dependent on something rlse

This is what I thought too when my older DS was a little angel at night and always wanted to go to bed 6pm after dinner, bath and night night books.

Then I had a child with ASD. There is evidence that children who have ASD produce less melatonin than their neurotypical peers. Some doctors prescribe melatonin. My son likes it and whenever I have suggested stopping it he says he prefers having it. I know older teens with ASD and without melatonin, they don’t go to bed until 2am. Please don’t judge mothers that feel that this is the best for their DCs.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Nope.

Sleep is a natural activity. There’s no need to intervene to make it more convenient.

It isn’t for convenience with ASD children but to rectify a deficiency.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:26 pm
If my toddler (under 2) is completely hyper and can’t wind down and I know he is tired because his nap was many hours ago, I sometimes give him 0.5 mg. only if I am going crazy and he is still jumping around. It usually works but lately he spits it out ☹️ If I let him stay up until he gets tired, his sleep schedule gets all messed up bc he wakes up late, naps late the next day... Desperate times call for desperate measures

mha3484

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:28 pm
I have a few kids that take it. Without it their natural time for feeling tired is 10pm. If they could wake up every day at 8am that would be annoying but fine but its not and they need to function. Not getting enough sleep is not good for their health. To me the lack of sleep is more detrimental but I don't plan on giving it forever. As they get older and need less sleep I will stop giving it.

schoolbus

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:32 pm
I use it for my 5 and 6 year old when they’re either turning in bed 2 hours and can’t fall asleep or when I know I have to leave and I will have a babysitter in my house. My 3 year old usually falls asleep early anyway

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:35 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
It isn’t for convenience with ASD children but to rectify a deficiency.

If it were only the parents of ASD children giving them…. In my neighborhood it has become as common as brushing teeth before bed. Surprised

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
If it were only the parents of ASD children giving them…. In my neighborhood it has become as common as brushing teeth before bed. Surprised

Ok, but why is that your business? And maybe the kids have diagnoses that you are not privy to. With all due respect, please MYOB.

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:40 pm
I reluctantly gave for a while for my asd child. I saw first hand how sometimes it's not a choice. Bh we've been able to ween him off.

It's the sleep vs risks analysis- pick your poison based on how desperate the situation is.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Absolutely not

How old are they?

amother
Melon

When my child fell into a habit of not sleeping enough to the point of complaining of body aches, we started giving 2mg of children melatonin for a little while until she regulated. Now I use 1 mg for my 3 children 3-7 when they have been in bed for a while and are having a hard time falling asleep, ie 1.5 hours after bedtime.

I don't use it regularly but as needed. It is not addictive and have yet to see a study by anyone reputable showing any negative side effects.

amother
Camellia

So my daughter is 11. She has been taking it since 9. Cannot fall asleep without it. Has adhd. Massively hyper adhd. Takes 3 mg. I recently switched my 9 year old from 1 mg melatonin to magnesium. It works just as well. I dont think she needs any of it but she has anxiety and it has a placebo affect. She doesn't always take it. I agree that it is over used.

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:46 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
Ok, but why is that your business? And maybe the kids have diagnoses that you are not privy to. With all due respect, please MYOB.

Awareness is important
Some people give them like candy while we really don't know the long term effects.

Please don't give it just because you want your kids to fall asleep before the babysitter comes.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:54 pm
Look up benefits of exogenous melatonin on pubmed. Tens if not hundreds of studies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics