Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
The high school situation
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:20 pm
VENT: My daughter is from the 200 girls that do not have a high school for next year. How is it ok that no one is doing anything about this situation? With all the go fund me accounts and all the chesed there is, why don't the higher ups do something about this?? For example, if every school would open another class then every girl would have a place. Does Lakewood want to see 200 girls go OTD because the schools didn't allow them in??

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:30 pm
I am so sorry. That is absolutely crazy. I am not from/in Lakewood and know nothing about the situation. I just want to send you love and support. I can’t fathom how hard that must be on both you and your DD. I hope she gets a spot very soon and a place where she will thrive academically, socially, and haskaficly.
Sending you wishing for mazel and bracha

little neshamala

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:36 pm
Im so sorry OP. Not from lakewood but this is crazy. I cant imagine how aggravating this must be.
200 girls!!

momtra

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:38 pm
Wow.
What happened this past year with the girls who this happened to? What did they end up doing for 9th grade?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:57 pm
momtra wrote:
Wow.
What happened this past year with the girls who this happened to? What did they end up doing for 9th grade?

The graduating grade this year has more girls than previous years.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:59 pm
It’s still March there is still time to deal with it.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:45 pm
2 years ago there was a big problem, there was a school that opened up about 24 hours before school started.

Last year I did not hear about any problem I thought they solved the crises for at least a few years.

Unfortunately this year is worse then 2 years ago.
I don't know what to tell you I hope if a new school opens it opens up before May

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 2:50 pm
How many classes does bais faiga have for next year? And they are only 2 years old.

Lakewood needs multiple high schools opening each year. 200 girls is enough for at least 3 new schools. There’s no use pointing fingers. It’s better to get involved and see how you can help with getting new schools off the ground.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
How many classes does bais faiga have for next year? And they are only 2 years old.

Lakewood needs multiple high schools opening each year. 200 girls is enough for at least 3 new schools. There’s no use pointing fingers. It’s better to get involved and see how you can help with getting new schools off the ground.

Since I have a lot of experience in this area, I offered to put together a high school secular studies curriculum and to put in the hours to help get the school up and running. I am told over and over that it's a huge financial burden and while they would love to take me up on it, nobody wants to undertake the financial aspect.

GLUE

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 4:12 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Since I have a lot of experience in this area, I offered to put together a high school secular studies curriculum and to put in the hours to help get the school up and running. I am told over and over that it's a huge financial burden and while they would love to take me up on it, nobody wants to undertake the financial aspect.

I keep hearing how a girls high school is a big financial burden, is there anyway to lesson it?

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 7:46 pm
Op could you start a go fund me to help a high school's financial burden to open more classes?

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 8:22 pm
GLUE wrote:
I keep hearing how a girls high school is a big financial burden, is there anyway to lesson it?

And yet multiple girls schools have huge gorgeous buildings. Must be money somewhere

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 8:31 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
And yet multiple girls schools have huge gorgeous buildings. Must be money somewhere

Who? Which girls high schools (besides Shiras Devorah). Im serious.
Bais Yaakov, Bais Shaindel- they're bursting out of the building, it's not safe.
Bais Kaila building is like 40 years old.
Oros and Meohn have decent buildings. But not huge, gorgeous. Redesigned office or warehouses.
Aderes is still renting space from Bnos Esther Malka
Chedvas? Bnos Bais Yaakov?
Meiras and Machon Mattel Leah are in trailers or renting temporary space.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 8:40 pm
Op - just letting u know I feel your pain and I seriously have knots in my stomach just reading your post . I was ther 2 years ago . I literallly cried and cried and when I couldn’t make it through another day I begged hashem to just make this stop and bh that day we got in it was July 22 . Iyh ur daughter should get into the right place that she thrives in . And btw we are very regular family my daughter is bh adorable and is a very happy sweet girl . Unforgivably she had to go on anxiety medicine when this Happned in July after she graduates she kept having panic attacks and we had no choice and had to put her on anti anxiety medicine . I was told we are not the only family that had to do this !

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:30 pm
Another mom of 8th grader not in hs yet here.

Wow, op, you’re saying that schools pretty much are done accepting kids by this point, and we are already in the “leftover x number of girls” stage? I thought we were still in the middle of the main acceptance process.

I wish your daughter, and mine, and every other girl gets accepted to a place that’s good for her, speedily.

Hang in there

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 2:27 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
Who? Which girls high schools (besides Shiras Devorah). Im serious.
Bais Yaakov, Bais Shaindel- they're bursting out of the building, it's not safe.
Bais Kaila building is like 40 years old.
Oros and Meohn have decent buildings. But not huge, gorgeous. Redesigned office or warehouses.
Aderes is still renting space from Bnos Esther Malka
Chedvas? Bnos Bais Yaakov?
Meiras and Machon Mattel Leah are in trailers or renting temporary space.

Bnos Bais Yaakov is essentially a prettied up warehouse on an industrial block.

keym

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 2:29 pm
amother Opal wrote:

Wow, op, you’re saying that schools pretty much are done accepting kids by this point, and we are already in the “leftover x number of girls” stage? I thought we were still in the middle of the main acceptance process.

I wish your daughter, and mine, and every other girl gets accepted to a place that’s good for her, speedily.

Hang in there

I was at a wedding this week and I met Mrs Epstein (from Bais Faiga). She said that acceptances are very very not over.
She actually spent half the wedding talking to principals of high schools and elementary schools.
So hand in there.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 2:52 pm
keym wrote:
I was at a wedding this week and I met Mrs Epstein (from Bais Faiga). She said that acceptances are very very not over.
She actually spent half the wedding talking to principals of high schools and elementary schools.
So hand in there.

Keym, do you have an idea when they’re (if there is a generalized “they”) planning to be done with the bulk, to let the girls know they’re in?

keym

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 2:54 pm
amother Opal wrote:
Keym, do you have an idea when they’re (if there is a generalized “they”) planning to be done with the bulk, to let the girls know they’re in?

No idea.
I don't have girls that age so I didn't ask.
Mrs Epstein just made it clear that she is not done by any stretch yet

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:40 pm
amother Opal wrote:

Hang in there

Not all the schools are done (I can't speak to how OP's daughter does or doesn't know).

But we can work out mathematically how many girls are going to be leftover after the main round. Not who they are, but how many. It's possible to figure out how many 8th graders there are and how many spots there are, before the push to make classes larger or add classes if this is even possible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries