Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Do you use faucet hot water on Yom Tov?

Do you use faucet hot water on Yom Tov?
Yes  
 90%  [ 166 ]
No  
 9%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 184

gr8Life

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 6:49 pm
Getting conflicting info...

SwissAlps

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 6:54 pm
My understanding is that it depends on what kind of boiler you have. I grew up with using hot water from the sink on Yom tov but I don't use it now because I have a different type of boiler. I don't know enough about the details though. I would suggest that you speak with a rav that is knowledgeable in these kind of things.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 6:56 pm
Depends on the boiler.
We have an old fashioned gas boiler, so we can use hot water. People that have the newer electric boilers, might be an issue.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 7:02 pm
Regular faucet with hot water? Yes.
Under sink boiling water dispenser? No.

zoom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 7:15 pm
Combi boiler you cant.

Other one you can

Ruchi

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:04 am
zoom wrote:
Combi boiler you cant.

Other one you can

Only if the hot water setting is switched off on the boiler. Though, there are some opinions that hold not to use hot water even with a non combi boiler.

agreer

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:16 am
Tankless water heaters are a big problem on yom tov - it's mamesh bishul. Assur.

We have old-fashioned boiler, so we do use one.

Living Princess

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:22 am
agreer wrote:
Tankless water heaters are a big problem on yom tov - it's mamesh bishul. Assur.

Bishul is allowed on Yom Tov

Blessing1

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:24 am
Living Princess wrote:
Bishul is allowed on Yom Tov

The problem is turning off the water. Like turning off a flame. For some boilers, it's like turning a light switch on and off.

6000miles

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:54 am
I think it’s okay in Israel?

I mean I have to turn on the boiler on cold days to have hot water for the shower, I wonder if the kitchen faucet is different

Now I’ve got a shaila for my Rav

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:01 am
6000miles wrote:
I think it’s okay in Israel?

I mean I have to turn on the boiler on cold days to have hot water for the shower, I wonder if the kitchen faucet is different

Now I’ve got a shaila for my Rav

The hot water normally comes from the dud shemesh (solar heating panels) with no electric intervention. When you open the hot water you are causing water to exit the dud shemesh, which means cold water will automatically be drawn into the tank and heated up by the sun. There are varying opinions about this on Shabbos, but on Yom Tov as far as I know it isn't an issue.

If you are using something other than the dud shemesh, you have to clarify details of the system.

6000miles

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:10 am
Elfrida wrote:
The hot water normally comes from the dud shemesh (solar heating panels) with no electric intervention. When you open the hot water you are causing water to exit the dud shemesh, which means cold water will automatically be drawn into the tank and heated up by the sun. There are varying opinions about this on Shabbos, but on Yom Tov as far as I know it isn't an issue.

If you are using something other than the dud shemesh, you have to clarify details of the system.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes we do have a dud shemesh

new oldie

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:28 am
agreer wrote:

I’ve heard there’s a way to put a timer on a tankless heater. We have the old fashioned monstrosity so we use hot water. But tankless I know people who set a timer and use hot water only while it’s on and I know people who don’t have a timer and use cold water on YT.
Please don’t put a timer on yourself, ask your local frum plumber!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics