Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Wood floors

pinkchandelier

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:11 am
What's the best way to clean old wood floors? Been using Bona, but sometimes don't feel that's enough. Very old wood floors, was refinished about 4 years ago.
Please share tips and what works for you.

TIA.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:15 am
Many people clean with just water or added vinigar. If it was refinished I don't think it matters how old it is. Personally I use Murphy.

pinkchandelier

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:40 am
How do you use murphys? Dilute it? Water temp?
Never tried.
Thanks

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:45 am
I use a steam mop

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:12 am
Why don't you think your floors are clean enough?

Is there a problem with the finish because modern finishes generally are much stronger than older ones. Of course they are much more durable than older floors which had only wax finishes.

The most important thing is to vacuum very regularly because grit destroys wood floors. And then one of the systems like Bona to follow. You can spot clean if something specifically has dropped on the floor.

To amother Feverfew - a steam mop is the worst thing you can use on a wood floor as it will destroy both the finish and the wood. It is generally warned against specifically when you get care instructions.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:14 am
We use a bona mop with their cleaning products. Our robo mop also has a hardwood setting but I save that for when I feel the mess is really major.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:18 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
I use a steam mop

I wouldn't on wood floors. It can affect the glue that holds the floor down.

I only use my steam mop in kitchen, on the ceramic tile.

ETA for wood floor in dining room, I use the Method hardwood floor cleaner. My DD likes the almond scent so much, that she's usually willing to do the job.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:24 am
Chayalle wrote:
I wouldn't on wood floors. It can affect the glue that holds the floor down.

I only use my steam mop in kitchen, on the ceramic tile.

ETA for wood floor in dining room, I use the Method hardwood floor cleaner. My DD likes the almond scent so much, that she's usually willing to do the job.

Even if floors aren't glued but are nailed as is traditional, steam will destroy the actual wood. Steam mop is great for tile floors.

Nice tip about Method - my cleaning lady loves the other scents for counters so I get it for her but I didn't know they made floor cleaners. Is it comparable to the Bona which I now use because it was recommended by the installers?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry