Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after someone who didn’t have a Hebrew name

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:05 pm
My friend is looking for advice on naming after someone named Carol. She definitely didn’t have a Hebrew name, and my friend’s first thought is to use the name Shira, but she’s concerned that it isn’t necessarily appropriate in her Charedi Litvish community. Can anyone think of any alternatives?

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:08 pm
My grandmother was Carol and Chana.

Chana did sing shira…

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:28 pm
I think Shira is nice.

Rina actually means joyful song, and is probably more acceptable since it is more common (I'm Isareli DL and not Charedi Yeshivish, so not sure though)

Renana also means joyful song, and is pretty common in Israel but I think less in US Yeshivish.

Shirel and Zimratya are more religious names, but probably less acceptable in Haredi Yeshivish since they are less common.

Zimra, Zimrat, Ashira probably no better.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:32 pm
Kayla, Chedva, Chava. Any name really that has a Ch or K sound. Even Rochel, Chaya.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 1:36 pm
Shiran is another name meaning "joyous song". You can spell it Shiranne which makes it acceptable for secular English speakers, but probably no better for Haredi Yeshiviah.

Shirli means "my song" and can be spelled Shirley, which makes it totally acceptable in secular Anglo, but still doesn't help in Haredi.

salt

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:39 am
In Israel there are lots of charedi Shiras. 2 in my DD's grade 6 beit yaakov class.
Maybe not in the US.

I think Rachel sounds like Carol. Just the R and the C are switched round.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:42 am
Aylor

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:19 am
My father's parents were not frum and his grandmother did not have a Hebrew name.
He and his siblings all became frum and each one named a daughter a different Hebrew name which starts with the first letter of her name.
(Yeshivish)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:18 am
salt wrote:
In Israel there are lots of charedi Shiras. 2 in my DD's grade 6 beit yaakov class.
Maybe not in the US.

I think Rachel sounds like Carol. Just the R and the C are switched round.

Rachel Shira.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:20 am
This could be rather a stretch, but Carol was originally an abbreviation of Caroline, which is one of the feminine forms of Charles. Charles, Charlemagne, Charlotte, Caroline, Carol/Karol, Carl/Karl all have same root, meaning free man.

It's possible you could use a Hebrew name based on that meaning, though I can't actually think of anything.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:29 am
Elfrida wrote:
This could be rather a stretch, but Carol was originally an abbreviation of Caroline, which is one of the feminine forms of Charles. Charles, Charlemagne, Charlotte, Caroline, Carol/Karol, Carl/Karl all have same root, meaning free man.

It's possible you could use a Hebrew name based on that meaning, though I can't actually think of anything.

חרות which means freedom is actually on a 2023 list of popular names in Israel. דרורה also means freedom but is pretty old fashioned. However, I doubt that either of those would fly in charedi/litvish circles.

salt

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:33 am
Elfrida wrote:

Drora.
Cherut.

Not so charedi/litvish though Smile

salt

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:34 am
salt wrote:
Drora.
Cherut.

Not so charedi/litvish though Smile

Our posts crossed.
ברוך שכיוונתי

WhatFor

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:35 am
Elfrida wrote:

This is probably getting way too far off base, but freedom for a girl makes me think of Tziporah. Like free as a bird. Or names that have to do with Pesach, which is about freedom, especially if the girl is around pesach. But at that point it probably won't sound anything like Carol.

gottago

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:35 am
3 ways to do it:
A name that sounds similar
A name that shares a meaning
A name that represents a middah she admires about Carol

Also, I'm chareidi/yeshivish and don't see that Shira is not accepted in my community.
(Though R Chaim Kanievsky specifically didn't like the name Shira, so maybe that's why there are fewer little chareidi girls with that name)

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:50 am
We have an older relative Carol whose Hebrew name is Chaya, so that could work.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:49 am
gottago wrote:
3 ways to do it:
A name that sounds similar
A name that shares a meaning
A name that represents a middah she admires about Carol

Also, I'm chareidi/yeshivish and don't see that Shira is not accepted in my community.
(Though R Chaim Kanievsky specifically didn't like the name Shira, so maybe that's why there are fewer little chareidi girls with that name)

I know a lot of yeshivish Shira’s, but not so much anymore. R Chaim held that it wasn’t a real name, but he didn’t have most people change it, only the ones that he told them to. I know a few shiras that r Chaim said to change and they are now Sara. I also know many many shiras that are still called shira.
However because of R Chaims opinion on the name, I haven’t heard of someone naming in years, although I’m sure people have
It’s still a very acceptable name

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:10 am
I know a number of Carols/Carolyns/Carolines and all of them are Chana/Chaya/Chava in Hebrew

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:19 am
"Song" in Yiddish is "lid" so how about Lida?

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:24 am
Your friend should ask a rebbe/gadol she trusts so she’ll be calmer with the decision
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names