Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
NEW Jewish novels
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 9:58 pm
Released since sukkos ( the last time I splurged on novels…)
For me and my teens ( boys and girls) ty!

oneofakind

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:54 am
Following

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:29 am
Follow me by Esty Heller
I haven’t read it except the parts I read when I was at someone’s house who gets mishpacha (it was a serial)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:21 am
Ty bumping for more ideas

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:29 am
I'm also curious about new novels that haven't been serialized before.
There is a dearth of novels. Well edited and sensitively done. Something you can comfortable give middle school and high school kids.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:39 am
It won't be ready in time for Pesach, but if you're interested in beta reading, I have a couple things coming up (eventually). One of them isn't so kid-friendly*, but the others should be okay. Smile

*It's nothing horribly inappropriate, but I'm erring on the side of caution with the disclaimer.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:40 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
It won't be ready in time for Pesach, but if you're interested in beta reading, I have a couple things coming up (eventually). One of them isn't so kid-friendly*, but the others should be okay. Smile

*It's nothing horribly inappropriate, but I'm erring on the side of caution with the disclaimer.

Mature content is ok, if handled well. But there is a void.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:41 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

Raising hand!

mommyhood

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:43 am
I'm hoping things magically appear in the next 2 weeks because I need new reading material for yonitf! I'm not even so picky with the quality or the topics. I might buy the Eli Beer book if no novels come out but I really prefer fiction.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:47 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Mature content is ok, if handled well. But there is a void.

My novels have all been rejected by Frum publishers on the basis of not fitting the mold. Which is sad, and I've brought it up multiple times with my editors. Unfortunately novels, while in demand, aren't anything a Frum publisher is willing to take risks on. They want the same types of things that have always sold and not made waves. I understand their position, since it would be a shame to alienate any segment of an already tiny market, even by accident. So authors write to those standards.

Well, except for me, because I never quite grasped HOW. Believe me, I've tried.

Still, most people know there's a push for different types of novels that are less formulaic/tailored to the mold we've set for ourselves. Then enter my stuff, which doesn't fit, sometimes for reasons I never could have predicted. Pretty sure Hashem never outlawed my books...

Trying not to feel like a failure for it, and just go with it. It'll find its audience. ;-)

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:49 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Raising hand!

Thanks! I'll probably post again when it's ready. I've had the same 2ish weeks to go on editing one of them for probably over a year now. (Life's been nuts.) I figure when I'm back to writing, I'll know I'm really okay again. Writing is my happy place. Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:53 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
My novels have all been rejected by Frum publishers on the basis of not fitting the mold.

The mold now is dark with a lot of dysfunction. And not always dealt with well. I don't mean everything has to be tied up neatly with a bow. There's also just plain weirdness. I don't want to elaborate.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:54 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Thanks! I'll probably post again when it's ready. I've had the same 2ish weeks to go on editing one of them for probably over a year now. (Life's been nuts.) I figure when I'm back to writing, I'll know I'm really okay again. Writing is my happy place. Very Happy

So nice to hear from you!

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:56 am
PinkFridge wrote:
The mold now is dark with a lot of dysfunction. And not always dealt with well. I don't mean everything has to be tied up neatly with a bow. There's also just plain weirdness. I don't want to elaborate.

I've been out of the loop for a while. But eh. It could work if done well. I don't write dysfunction for the sake of dysfunction. But it's there, even if not the focus. I hope I do it well. You'll tell me. Smile

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:57 am
PinkFridge wrote:
So nice to hear from you!

Thanks so much!! Sunny

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:57 am
I'll stop now so that I don't keep taking over the thread. Sorry OP!!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:00 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I've been out of the loop for a while. But eh. It could work if done well. I don't write dysfunction for the sake of dysfunction. But it's there, even if not the focus. I hope I do it well. You'll tell me. Smile

I trust you. And your writing is elegant.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:03 am
I keep plugging this because I loved it so much! It's not strictly a Jewish novel, but its a novel and its very Jewish!

"The Matchmaker's Gift" by Lynda Cohen Loigman.

I hope you love it too 😀

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:32 am
Kiwi- I’m intrigued. Keep us posted.

Need novels that are in print now. Traveling to grandparents. Not so much company there so def always stock up on book for the older ones… and myself

I loved the matchmakers gift but for yt and for my kids only Jewish publications …

sara_s

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:53 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
My novels have all been rejected by Frum publishers on the basis of not fitting the mold. Which is sad, and I've brought it up multiple times with my editors. Unfortunately novels, while in demand, aren't anything a Frum publisher is willing to take risks on. They want the same types of things that have always sold and not made waves. I understand their position, since it would be a shame to alienate any segment of an already tiny market, even by accident. So authors write to those standards.

Well, except for me, because I never quite grasped HOW. Believe me, I've tried.

Still, most people know there's a push for different types of novels that are less formulaic/tailored to the mold we've set for ourselves. Then enter my stuff, which doesn't fit, sometimes for reasons I never could have predicted. Pretty sure Hashem never outlawed my books...

Trying not to feel like a failure for it, and just go with it. It'll find its audience. ;-)

I would like to Beta read them!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room