Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fluid in ear 20m old effecting speech what to do??

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:57 am
My baby that's 20 months never passed his hearing test due to fluid. This has been going on for a really long time I went to the ENT once and there was ear infection so I was told to wait till he's a year and come back maybe it'll clear. I went back and he passed in one ear. I went to another ENT and waited a few months for apt and she told me to first put Flonaise (sp?) and come back in 6 weeks. It's been 6 weeks and he still has fluid so she said to either try Flonaise again or just put in tubes but the first apt they have is in 3 months.

In the mean time, he's not talking regularly. I feel like he's losing out crucial time in learning speech. Should I wait now another 3 months? Is there something else I can do to clear out the fluid??

I had tried using oil of oregano for a period of time but apparently, it didn't really help. Or maybe it did but not enough.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:58 am
amother OP wrote:
My baby that's 20 months never passed his hearing test due to fluid. This has been going on for a really long time I went to the ENT once and there was ear infection so I was told to wait till he's a year and come back maybe it'll clear. I went back and he passed in one ear. I went to another ENT and waited a few months for apt and she told me to first put Flonaise (sp?) and come back in 6 weeks. It's been 6 weeks and he still has fluid so she said to either try Flonaise again or just put in tubes but the first apt they have is in 3 months.

In the mean time, he's not talking regularly. I feel like he's losing out crucial time in learning speech. Should I wait now another 3 months? Is there something else I can do to clear out the fluid??

I had tried using oil of oregano for a period of time but apparently, it didn't really help. Or maybe it did but not enough.

Where do you live that ents are such a rare commodity? I need established place to have more than one or at least one with availability.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:03 am
amother Blush wrote:
Where do you live that ents are such a rare commodity? I need established place to have more than one or at least one with availability.

Brooklyn. For some reason the good ones have long wait times. But now it's waiting to do procedure. Should I try to find someone who can do it sooner? I feel like we already lost so much precious time.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:43 am
I really think you should do tubes!!! Honestly, it was the best thing I had done for my child and she's a changed kid because of it! Really recommend it!
Also, keep calling them for a cancelation...

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:46 am
I recently had tubes put in my 16 month old. We had to wait 2 months for surgery. Unfortunately I think a 2-3 month wait is normal because it's not considered emergency surgery.
Our ent advised us to call once a week and ask if there were any surgery cancellations so we could push it up earlier. It didn"t work for us but maybe it will for u.
Were in brooklyn but used a doctor in Manhattan

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:47 am
What’s the hearing test done to check if a kid has fluids in his ears

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:47 am
Yes tubes. it works and you might as well not wait if your going to do it anyway. If they cant get you an appointment maybe see if you can find someone else who can.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:48 am
Get a list of every ENT that does the procedure. It is hard to believe there isn't a "good" doctor that can take your child sooner - even if you have to travel somewhere.

Call up reputable hospitals and find out who is affiliated and check availability.

Ask your pediatrician for recommendations or your PCP.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:56 am
I don't think the waiting is such a terrible thing. I had a few kids that didn't talk until close to 2, I got them speech therapy and they caught up really quickly and actually spoke better younger than my 'normal' speaking kids because the therapist taught them properly.
What I would do is get your kid evaluated for early intervention before the surgery and this way they'll have help catching up once they get the tubes. Don't wait until after because if they're talking somewhat they might not qualify since you need a significant delay.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:00 am
amother Hosta wrote:
Get a list of every ENT that does the procedure. It is hard to believe there isn't a "good" doctor that can take your child sooner - even if you have to travel somewhere.

Call up reputable hospitals and find out who is affiliated and check availability.

Ask your pediatrician for recommendations or your PCP.

As someone who just dealt with tubes, I don't think it's worth it for OP to drive herself crazy to find a new doctor. Tubes is not considered emergency surgery and there is always a wait time. Also, most ents only do surgery one or two days a week, so there isn't a huge amount of surgery availability.

Also, even if she finds a new doctor, she would first need to go for a new patient appointment. It's not like she can just call and they'll put her in for surgery 2 weeks later. And getting the new patient appointment can also take time.
I was also upset when I had to wait 2 months for tube surgery but it ended up fine.
OP's best bet is to stick with her current doctor and see if there are any cancellations. Finding a new doc would prob just delay things even more

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:02 am
amother Coffee wrote:
What’s the hearing test done to check if a kid has fluids in his ears

The hearing test is a standard hearing test to check hearing acuity and if there is any hearing loss.
The hearing test doesn't check for fluid, it just checks for hearing loss.
The dr checks for fluid by looking in the ear.

workout geek

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:08 am
[quote="amother Coffee"]What’s the hearing test done to check if a kid has fluids in his ears[/quote

A Tympanogram is a test that measures ear pressure and the reaction of sound waves through the ear which is impacted by fluid.

I second calling the ENT for cancelations. I got my daughter in 6 weeks earlier because of that.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:09 am
While you wait you can:

Take your kid off dairy
Check for and revise tongue ties
Take them for craniosacral therapy
Take them for Chiropractic adjustments
Get them on a probiotic
Get them on a homeopathic remedy

You might be surprised at how much can clear with non surgical interventions

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:23 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
While you wait you can:

Take your kid off dairy
Check for and revise tongue ties
Take them for craniosacral therapy
Take them for Chiropractic adjustments
Get them on a probiotic
Get them on a homeopathic remedy

You might be surprised at how much can clear with non surgical interventions

I have thought of doing craniosacral therapy. My child is off most dairy (milk and yogurt)
Has anyone seen craniosacral therapy work for this? (lymphatic drainage, something like that?) Also how will we know if tubes are still necessary? Do they check for it before they put in the tubes?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:15 pm
Op,

I had similar situation. My pediatrician office called the ENT office. Ds had tunes place and follow up visit before the original appointment.

Ds had speech for many years. He also had tubes placed twice. We did hearing tests occasionally to make sure that he is hearing ok.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics