Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Which roasts should I buy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tweety1

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all!

Yes, Tweety1, I would appreciate your recipe.

Take a generous amount of salt and coffee and rub it into brisket on both sides. Shred lots of Macintosh or cortland apples (I used aprox 20 smaller ones). Put a generous layer of apples into a deep 9x13 pan. Put brisket on top cover with the leftover apples. Sautee lots of onions. Cover the apples with the onions. Cover the pan with a sheet of parchment paper and then tightly cover with silver foil. Bake on 300 for 3.5-4 hrs.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:09 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Ive heard that baking Flanken Roast with little more than salt and pepper and maybe olive oil, makes an amazing roast.

I wonder if anyone has a step by step recipe, with technique.

Plenty of meats need little more than these ingredients. I've made a delicious deckel roast just by sprinkling salt and pepper, plus garlic powder (generously) and pouring oil over it. The trick is to bake it in the oven overnight on 215F, so it breaks down and is soft.

Della

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:16 am
Chayalle wrote:
yum. I made a flanken roast on Succos, and it was so delicious. I used a recipe for Miami ribs from Kosher.com: https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-3594
I increased the baking time because it's a bone-in roast.

For Pesach, I would have to substitute something for the soy sauce, maybe coconut aminos.

I usually make ribs using bone in flanken strips. What is the difference between that and flanken roast? Do you think they can be prepared the same way? Thx

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:18 am
Della wrote:
I usually make ribs using bone in flanken strips. What is the difference between that and flanken roast? Do you think they can be prepared the same way? Thx

no difference really, except it's a whole roast as opposed to strips. Probably needs more baking time because it's a whole roast.

I love serving the whole roast on a meat board, and carving it at the table.

Della

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:24 am
Chayalle wrote:
no difference really, except it's a whole roast as opposed to strips. Probably needs more baking time because it's a whole roast.

I love serving the whole roast on a meat board, and carving it at the table.

Awesome thanks

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:27 am
This roast is always a hit.
Especially for those who use minimal ingredients.

https://betweencarpools.com/ca.....sach/

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:41 am
doodlesmom wrote:
This roast is always a hit.
Especially for those who use minimal ingredients.

https://betweencarpools.com/ca.....sach/
Looks delish I just can't bring myself to add 1.5 cups of sugar to a roast.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:57 am
amother Forsythia wrote:

I'm thinking the same thing. Wondering if that amount could be reduced and the roast still work. I always cut down on the sugar in a meat recipe, with delicious results. For example, I put half the sugar in my sweet and sour tongue recipe (apologies if you read this dear SIL....it's a great recipe with less brown sugar).

Still, I'm tempted to try this recipe, perhaps with some modifications.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:58 am
Chayalle wrote:
I'm thinking the same thing. Wondering if that amount could be reduced and the roast still work. I always cut down on the sugar in a meat recipe, with delicious results. For example, I put half the sugar in my sweet and sour tongue recipe (apologies if you read this dear SIL....it's a great recipe with less brown sugar).

Still, I'm tempted to try this recipe, perhaps with some modifications.
It's just that the whole point of the recipe is caramelized sugar

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:59 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
It's just that the whole point of the recipe is caramelized sugar

OK...how about half the caramelized sugar? Or 2/3?

pause

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:02 pm
We like savory meat, not sweet. Any suggestions? I'm also getting bored of my deckel and brisket.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:06 pm
I only make meats that are baked low and slow
This way I can’t mess it up

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:11 pm
pause wrote:
We like savory meat, not sweet. Any suggestions? I'm also getting bored of my deckel and brisket.

4-5 lb. minute roast

2 Tbsp olive oil
6 crushed garlic cubes or cloves
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup red wine

Place roast in a large ziplock. Rub with spices and pour wine over. Seal and refrigerate overnight.

Place roast in pan. Cover and bake at 325 F for 3 hours. Cool to slice. Can be frozen at this point. Reheat in juices.

Some people found that the roast had too much heat for them. If you are using very fresh strong cayenne pepper, reduce the amount using. Also make sure to mix the spices well, so that you don't get a bunch of cayenne pepper in one spot.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:14 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:

It’s all in the caremalized onions and sauce….I wonder how much actually is in the roast…
Not that we don’t eat the onions, which are delish lol…

Cheiny

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:23 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:

I was thinking same…

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:25 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
It’s all in the caremalized onions and sauce….I wonder how much actually is in the roast…
Not that we don’t eat the onions, which are delish lol…

Thank you. This seems to support my thought that I can cut down on the sugar and still make a very delicious roast here....

nicole81

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:40 pm
I make all kinds of meat and I still favor the french roast (underblade is the actual cut). Instead of looking for a new cut, I would just try a new recipe. Sweet instead of savory or whatever you like. You can't go wrong with this one covered at 350 for an hour per pound.

High quality spare ribs (not flanken/short ribs) are amazing but I only get those from grow and behold as a splurge.

Chuck roast is cheap and to me it tastes that way, too, except when made sous vide with salt and pepper at 131 degrees for days. Then it tastes a bit like prime rib.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:13 pm
Chayalle wrote:
4-5 lb. minute roast

2 Tbsp olive oil
6 crushed garlic cubes or cloves
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup red wine

Place roast in a large ziplock. Rub with spices and pour wine over. Seal and refrigerate overnight.

Place roast in pan. Cover and bake at 325 F for 3 hours. Cool to slice. Can be frozen at this point. Reheat in juices.

Some people found that the roast had too much heat for them. If you are using very fresh strong cayenne pepper, reduce the amount using. Also make sure to mix the spices well, so that you don't get a bunch of cayenne pepper in one spot.

Thanks for taking time to type this up. I hope it will be useful to other posters. Unfortunately, we don't use garlic, cayenne pepper, or cinnamon. I use food (and shmaltz) to flavor meats.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:36 pm
pause wrote:
Thanks for taking time to type this up. I hope it will be useful to other posters. Unfortunately, we don't use garlic, cayenne pepper, or cinnamon. I use food (and shmaltz) to flavor meats.

That’s why the recipe I posted works.
I use literally sugar, salt, onions, and potato starch if you use.
I did sometimes rub in some ginger, and juice from an orange to change it up…

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 2:59 pm
pause wrote:

What do you use for charoses?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics