Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Which roasts should I buy
Previous  1  2  3

STovah

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:23 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
Looks delish I just can't bring myself to add 1.5 cups of sugar to a roast.

Yup I made this recipe once and found it way too sweet. I usually make sweet roasts but this one was over the top.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:34 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
That’s why the recipe I posted works.
I use literally sugar, salt, onions, and potato starch if you use.
I did sometimes rub in some ginger, and juice from an orange to change it up…

Can I omit the paprika in that recipe?

pause

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 12:35 pm
Chayalle wrote:
What do you use for charoses?

Wine, apple, nuts, and ginger. I think. I don't know for sure since DH always makes it.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:06 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Minute steak is very soft. I have a good recipe with sautéed mushrooms and onions layered on bottom of pan with spices, roast on top, mix onion soup mix with water and pour around bottom, (optional add potatoes), cover and bake.

Can you post the exact recipe please?

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:08 pm
pause wrote:
Can I omit the paprika in that recipe?

I don’t use paprika.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:12 pm
pause wrote:
We like savory meat, not sweet. Any suggestions? I'm also getting bored of my deckel and brisket.

Skirt steak or London broil served over a salad of romaine from marror, red onion, cucumber, julienned carrots, avocado. Dressing of lemon, olive oil, grated onion and salt.

Shepherd's pie or vegetable meatloaf

Meatballs in a savory carrot sauce

Two tone meatroll

Pepper steak with lots of onion and carrot strips.

Minute steak just with oil, salt and onion. Add a drop of water on bottom of the pan. Cover and bake at 325 until tender.

Coffee rubbed roast. Rub in mix of about 1 part salt, 1 part coffee, 4 parts sugar.

Silvertip roast with a salt crust if you enjoy medium rare meat.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:15 pm
Somehow we mamas like doing low and slow meats, but if you perfect a quick seared meat it’s beyond delicious, think restaurant surprise steak, tomahawk steaks etc…

These need such basic ingredients to be good!

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:18 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Somehow we mamas like doing low and slow meats, but if you perfect a quick seared meat it’s beyond delicious, think restaurant surprise steak, tomahawk steaks etc…

These need such basic ingredients to be good!
We always do fresh searsd cowboy steaks for at least 1 meal but it makes such a mess!!

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:20 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
We always do fresh searsd cowboy steaks for at least 1 meal but it makes such a mess!!

I know people who grill it on the outdoor grill on yom tov.
Then have a non yid close the flame.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:24 pm
Flanken roast

Rub the roast w oil salt and pepper. Wrap the entire roast in parchment paper. Like a candy.. very tight..then put it into a deep pan. Tightly covered. 350 for one hour. The. 250 for 6 hours.

Melt n mouth. Always. A winner

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:36 pm
Never fail tip for soft delicious roast is to cook covered overnight in the oven on 225-250 degrees.

heidi

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 3:23 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Ive heard that baking Flanken Roast with little more than salt and pepper and maybe olive oil, makes an amazing roast.

I wonder if anyone has a step by step recipe, with technique.

Rub roast with fresh crushed garlic (cubes are fine) kosher salt, pepper, olive oil. Add a sprig of rosemary on top of the roast (if you don't have it'll be fine without). Cover with parchment paper and then tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 400F (200 C) for half an hour then lower to 325F (150C) for 3.5 hours.
Can also do the same thing with just bbq sauce (ketchup or tomato sauce, crushed garlic, brown sugar, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and a drop of water)

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 4:16 am
Ramom, can u post the recipe for the savory carrot sauce please?

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 4:18 am
Can any of these meats be cooked instead? If yes, how do I figure out cooking times?

Unfortunately, I don't have a pesach oven

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 4:58 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
Ramom, can u post the recipe for the savory carrot sauce please?

3 jumbo carrots (sweet)
1 jumbo sweet onion (Vidalia, 1 lb)
olive oil
3 cups water
kosher salt

Process carrots and onion in a food processor fitted with a knife (s) blade.
Saute grated vegetable in a pot with olive oil for 15 minutes.
Add water. Bring to a boil. Season with salt until very tasty.
Add meatballs. Bring back to a boil. Simmer 30-45 minutes

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 5:10 am
Thank you ramom

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 5:22 am
I like briskets because the longer you cook it, the softer it gets, you don't need to follow a precise recipe. You can just put it in the oven and forget about it and it comes out delicious and soft. There are a lot of good recipes for brisket; I like some kind of combination of sugar, tomato product and vinegar (if you use that on pesach). Or you can just sprinkle whatever spices you eat for a savory meat. (I personally like sweet sauces better for brisket though).

Another nice idea is London broil. The way I make it you can't cook it on Yom tov so I serve it chol hamoad, but it can probably be cooked before and warned up.

I broil it on both sides till very dark. That's it. I personally like salt and garlic as my only spices but use whatever you like. This comes out reddish on the inside, more or less red depending on how long you broil it. I find I can use the cheapest meat and it always comes out soft when prepared this way.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 5:25 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
Can any of these meats be cooked instead? If yes, how do I figure out cooking times?

I make a delicious pot roast (I use a chuck roast, the kind that comes in a net) loosely following Susie Fishbein's recipe. Basically I saute onions in a pot and brown the meat in there well on all sides. Then rub the roast all over with flour (chometz) or potato starch (pesach) and return it to the pot. Spice it well with whatever spices you use (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper (a little), salt...any or all that you use) or use a soup mix (like onion soup mix). Pour water about halfway up the meat. Taste the sauce at some point to ensure it has enough salt/flavor. Bring to a simmer for about 3 hours. During last hour, add vegetables to the pot - potatoes, carrots, parsnip, celery, whatever you like (I just do lots of potatoes. They are delicious). The meat gets really soft. I sometimes like to chill it for nicer slices before serving.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 7:48 am
amother Seafoam wrote:

Recipe I posted is stovetop.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics