Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenagers Missing School
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:17 pm
I never heard of kids taking off to help their parents and I don't think my girls school would excuse it but I think there is something wrong with a kid missing 1 day and not being able to follow the next class.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:27 pm
Skimmed some answers . Quite surprised . As a student I actually never missed a day of school. My mother prob could’ve used my help. Oldest of a large family Kah and never dawned on anyone to ask me to stay home or come home early. Another solution was always found . ( BH wasn’t sick either otherwise would’ve stayed home lol)

As a teacher- I can def tell you that those girls that are absent consistently miss out. There s no way to do well of you are missing the lessons. No making up notes are not the same ( also always tell my students if it was the same I would quit my job assign them a bunch of reading and test them and call it a day) There is no replacement for in class leaning and experience ( if there is the teacher is doing something wrong imho) . These girls also miss out socially . It’s like reading every other chapter in a book. So much happens and girls that are out too much miss that much . No replacing it.

As a parent- it’s not your teens job to take an adults place. In an emergency I hear but otherwise the onus is yours. Yes kids need a mental health day once or twice a year . Ok. I don’t do it personally. We have sundays and summers and yt and vacation. If we want to raise serious responsible children we need to teach them to be that way.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:37 pm
I hated school. Wasn't good at academics. I thrived on organizing, helping my mom clean, babysitting the littles, bathing them, babysitting them, making supper. These are my strong strengths now as well.
My mom was super smart and instead of forcing me to be a good student and get great marks she was CHILLED about life. I was a B-C student and she was happy about it. I didn't feel like a failure because my mom boosted my strengths when not in school. I was thrilled to stay home and help her out as those were my talents. I am now a great happy SAHM mom with lots of kids and I'm passionate in my talents.
Regarding my kids, they are not yet full teens but I could see some daughters being more into school than others. That's ok and those kids need there strengths and talents recognized. On the other hand I have one daughter, as little as she is, she loves being home. I give her lots of days off and she helps me with the baby, helps me peel veggies, make supper and she thrives.
I think you have to do what's right for your daughter. Be open with her and see what she REALLY wants.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:28 am
This topic triggers me, as a child of a very large dysfunctional family... because a woman that needs to rely on her kids (and even her husband) to to be able to make it through the routine days in order to manage should reconsider her family planning... Of course barring extreme circumstances.

The fact that my mom kept having babies with no plan while she hardly functioned on a basic level in her day to day routine seemed bizarre to me even as a child.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children