Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When you walk with your 2 year old, does he/she walk with

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:37 pm
With you
When youre holding their hand...

As in do you feel like theyr fully stable and they are sort of pulling you and have good gait and walk,? Sort of like a small child..

Or do they still walk along with you but you are sort of pulling them along and they toddle along rather then a steady pace..

If theyv been walking for at least 6 months..

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:39 pm
Fully stable supporting themselves. I hold them very lightly I’m not supporting them. Unless I’m worried they will run somewhere dangerous then I grip them tighter.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:40 pm
You shouldn't be yanking them. All children develop differently. It's within reason for a 2 yr old to be a slow walker when walking with an adult.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:43 pm
Thanks!

Yes not yanking.

My 2.5 year old is still very slow walker. .toddles along. If I dont hold his hand hel take forever..he only started walking around q8 months.

Took out my nephew the other day, same age. But a dreeam to walk with, just felt like he was walking WITH me, I wasnt leading. He just walked alomg, normal pace no toddling.
I wasnt dragging him or encouraging him.
Was mechaya and got me thinking about mine..

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

Yes not yanking.

My 2.5 year old is still very slow walker. .toddles along. If I dont hold his hand hel take forever..he only started walking around q8 months.

Took out my nephew the other day, same age. But a dreeam to walk with, just felt like he was walking WITH me, I wasnt leading. He just walked alomg, normal pace no toddling.
I wasnt dragging him or encouraging him.
Was mechaya and got me thinking about mine..

A toddler's lens is different from an adult lens. He has no interest in walking at your pace. Definitely normal for the age.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:43 pm
If he's walking towards something that he's excited about (a playground, walking towards you for a hug, running to the door to see who's there when he's acting curious) does he walk faster? If you pretend to run after him (in a chasing game) will he run? Or just walk slowly away? Can he climb up and down stairs holding onto one finger of your hand, or a railing, if he is motivated? Climb up on a couch and down again from it?

In a vacuum, I think it's normal for a two year old to not want to walk as fast as an adult. They often have no desire to go where you want them to go. They're just leisurely being shlepped along with you, so no, they don't seem like they're coming independently. But if there are other issues that make you wonder if his physical development is on track, it might make sense to take him for PT evaluation, just to make sure.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 9:20 pm
My baby is 16 months old and walking for about 4 months. He cannot physically walk at my pace but he can run. When I walk with him, I have to walk slowly. If your child is walking for so long and can’t run yet, I’d mention it to your pediatrician but just a slower walk than you is normal.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 4:49 pm
Thanks everyone!

I dont expect him to walk at my pace, I just felt it was soo much easier to walk with my nephew.
Like he sort of led me, rather then me holding him along .

My son walks little steps, toddles along. Not always 100% balanced, not a given that he wont fall..

He has been going to physio every so often since he was a baby.
Just discharged him as they see no issues with him. Says its all in normal range

I work with similar ages and was trying to get a general view from mom of little ones...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:08 am
Hi

My son is now over 3 and still has the baby walk.

Even when he runs he runs with tiny little steps. Same with walking.

Im still the one sort of pulling him along.

He can climb up and down the stairs well, but things like climbing on a chair or a bed, he takes a good few seconds and you can see he puts in more effort then is usual for a kid his age.

What can be done about this?
When would he catch up, so to speak.

He can do everything he should be, just can definitely see hes using ALOT of effort when it should be effortless.

.he has never tried to climb out his cot or the like.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:10 am
He can probably use some physical therapy. I have a kid who was like this as a toddler.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:14 am
Maybe it’s time to see a PT?

happy chick

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:43 am
You have nothing to lose by getting him evaluated. Call any agency in your area and have them do it.

4geesmom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:36 pm
1.5 year old walks veeery slow. my 2.5 year old can generally keep up a normal pace.

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:47 pm
I know someone that had a kid with issues walking well, couldn’t go up the ladder of a slide… was getting all types of therapy until someone told the mother to check her eyesight. As soon as the kid put on glasses she didn’t need any therapy anymore.
Maybe look into that .

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:08 pm
I’m a PT. Did he have his 3 year well visit? Did he pass the vision and hearing screening? I would look into that. Also, I would recommend PT, he’s over 3 so try your local center based clinic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics