Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help me clean my ovens
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 9:37 am
I need step by step instructions on how to clean my oven. Also do I do it before self clean or after?

Thanks

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:02 am
Kashrus wise, self clean is enough.

You probably do want to clean the oven first, as you do not want ash leftover when the cycle is over. Also if there's no dirt during self clean, the house won't smell from the cycle.

Don't leave the oven racks in the oven. They will discolor and become hard to slide in and out of oven, if you put them in with self clean.

Best way to kasher the racks is to clean them and then kasher them in the clean oven by putting them into the oven preheated to 550 for 40 minutes (libbun kal).

Obviously, do what you need to do, the best way that works for you and your schedule.

You can clean the oven with caustic St Moritz (using high gloves and mask) and windows open, or with Easy-Off fume free no gloves required spray (cover the vents and holes so cleaner doesn't go where it doesn't belong), or you can use heavy handed scrubbing with baking soda mixes.

Let me know what you'd like instructions for.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Kashrus wise, self clean is enough.

You probably do want to clean the oven first, as you do not want ash leftover when the cycle is over. Also if there's no dirt during self clean, the house won't smell from the cycle.

Don't leave the oven racks in the oven. They will discolor and become hard to slide in and out of oven, if you put them in with self clean.

Best way to kasher the racks is to clean them and then kasher them in the clean oven by putting them into the oven preheated to 550 for 40 minutes (libbun kal).

Obviously, do what you need to do, the best way that works for you and your schedule.

You can clean the oven with caustic St Moritz (using high gloves and mask) and windows open, or with Easy-Off fume free no gloves required spray (cover the vents and holes so cleaner doesn't go where it doesn't belong), or you can use heavy handed scrubbing with baking soda mixes.

Let me know what you'd like instructions for.

Thanks I think I have St Moritz how do I use it?

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:38 am
I just did my oven. I made a paste of baking soda and water, spread it all over the oven and takek off the shelves and smear on them to. Then spray vinegar all over it. Take,cling flim and cover the oven walls and bottom, shelves with it. Leave on overnight. It makes everything come,of much easier. Buy a non scratch scrapper to take off all the difficult parts and clean the rest. Most ovens,the,door can,come off or the glass but I didn't do it cause I'm not risking it to break.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:52 am
amother OP wrote:

I spray it all over the oven and racks and leave it over night. Most of the grease drips off and is easy to clean

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:55 am
Open window and wear mask and high rubber gloves.

Start by removing oven grates and laying them on large garbage bags to absorb the spray. Spray and allow to sit (you might want to do this outside, but not on a windy day when caustic spray could fly in the wrong direction Chas vishalom).

Spray St Moritz on dirty surfaces inside the cold oven and close door for at least 10 minutes (I like to leave for a longer time). Use steel wool to scrub away stains (remember the high gloves - should cover your arms all the way to your sleeve/elbow). Wipe all of it away with paper towels and throw out. Keep wiping until brown liquid is absorbed. Then scrub more with steel wool to see what stains are still left.

If you're happy with the results, take wet sponge, paper towels or shmatta (shmatta will stain brown) and clean until it runs clear. Wipe dry. Otherwise, repeat.

For grates, scrub with steel wool after they sat. Wipe before you pick up so they don't drip chemicals. Wash and dry off (careful with long gloves).

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 11:24 am
I have the easy off no fumes spray. The first time my cleaning lady used it she spayed the back into the vent fan Sad . How do I get rid of it? It's impossible to get in there to wash it off.
I already told her to never again spray there but I feel like hiding it from her and not let her use it. She washes my oven weekly and never rinses it well enough, it always smells from easy off when I turn it on. I'm afraid I'm getting the chemicals into my food.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 11:25 am
ra_mom wrote:

Start by removing oven grates and laying them on large garbage bags to absorb the spray. Spray and allow to sit (you might want to do this outside, but not on a windy day when caustic spray could fly in the wrong direction Chas vishalom).

Spray St Moritz on dirty surfaces inside the cold oven and close door for at least 10 minutes (I like to leave for a longer time). Use steel wool to scrub away stains (remember the high gloves - should cover your arms all the way to your sleeve/elbow). Wipe all of it away with paper towels and throw out. Keep wiping until brown liquid is absorbed. Then scrub more with steel wool to see what stains are still left.

If you're happy with the results, take wet sponge, paper towels or shmatta (shmatta will stain brown) and clean until it runs clear. Wipe dry. Otherwise, repeat.

For grates, scrub with steel wool after they sat. Wipe before you pick up so they don't drip chemicals. Wash and dry off (careful with long gloves).

You seem well versed. This is great for a deep clean. Do you maintain your oven cleanliness throughout the year? Can use advice on how to quick clean weekly. Just wipe out with Mr. Clean solution?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 11:28 am
rainbow dash wrote:
I just did my oven. I made a paste of baking soda and water, spread it all over the oven and takek off the shelves and smear on them to. Then spray vinegar all over it. Take,cling flim and cover the oven walls and bottom, shelves with it. Leave on overnight. It makes everything come,of much easier. Buy a non scratch scrapper to take off all the difficult parts and clean the rest. Most ovens,the,door can,come off or the glass but I didn't do it cause I'm not risking it to break.

Don’t take off the door! Ask any repair person or appliance store and they’ll tell you how many people call them erev Pesach because they broke it taking it off or they can’t get it back on.

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:04 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Don’t take off the door! Ask any repair person or appliance store and they’ll tell you how many people call them erev Pesach because they broke it taking it off or they can’t get it back on.

That's why I don't. I already broke a fridge shelf

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

Very very carefully Surprised

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:34 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
You seem well versed. This is great for a deep clean. Do you maintain your oven cleanliness throughout the year? Can use advice on how to quick clean weekly. Just wipe out with Mr. Clean solution?

You can do it in 15 minutes for monthly maintenance when it's not that dirty. Spray, close door for less than 10 minutes, scrub, wipe, wash, wipe dry. Even though it's quick, still need mask and high gloves, very important.

For weekly, I try to stick to the fume free Easy-Off spray if there isn't much to clean. Make sure to cover vents/openings/holes (no matter what spray you're using), so it doesn't end up traveling to your igniter.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 3:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:

So you dont leave the St Moritz in overnight when cleaning for pesach?

And just to clarify I should do this before I self clean the oven correct?

mfb

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 3:40 pm
I self clean first so I don’t have to scrub, I then wipe out any ash/ residue still left and clean the door and then I self clean again to make it pesachdig.

DustyDiamonds

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 3:55 pm
I’ve left my racks in the oven when self cleaning. They did discolor, but still slide in and out well.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 3:59 pm
A friend left it overnight, and then the oven kept showing that it was overheating….so I wouldn’t leave that long…

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 4:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
So you dont leave the St Moritz in overnight when cleaning for pesach?

And just to clarify I should do this before I self clean the oven correct?

No way overnight. I wouldn't leave more than an hour, if that. I probably leave it for 30 minutes and would rather repeat if needed.

dena613

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 5:21 pm
mfb wrote:
I self clean first so I don’t have to scrub, I then wipe out any ash/ residue still left and clean the door and then I self clean again to make it pesachdig.

Do not self clean twice in a row.
That's how you kill the electronic ignition and have no oven for pesach

Last edited by dena613 on Fri, Mar 24 2023, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

dena613

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 5:24 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I’ve left my racks in the oven when self cleaning. They did discolor, but still slide in and out well.

You can put your grates in too. They will discolor. Or jus do libun kal for grates

But OP, lefi halacha, all you need to do is turn on self clean

If you want to wipe it out with baking soda water paste first s things won't burn up in the self clean cycle, do it first

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 6:14 pm
dena613 wrote:
Do not self clean twice in a row.
That's how you kill the electronic ignition and have no oven for pesach

I do the first time for about an hour. That’s enough to get any food burnt up and then I do a full cycle usually 2-3 days apart.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics