Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary out of Isreal

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 8:50 am
Is it seen as weird for shidduchim if a girl went to a seminary not in Israel? What do people assume the reasons are for not going to Israel?

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 8:55 am
I didnt go to seminary at all, and neither did my 2 sisters (regular new york BY girls, we just didnt feel the urge to go.). We all found our basherts BH. Learning guys too lol.
So I dont known what people did say or didnt say, and I dont know if certain people didnt say yes to me going out with their son, but in the end it didnt matter a bit because BH I only needed to find my bashert, and I did.

ETA ive heard of lots more girls recently opting not to go to israel, and do local seminary/start college or working etc. Its become more normal, I really dont think you should worry

Cressel

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:00 am
amother OP wrote:
Is it seen as weird for shidduchim if a girl went to a seminary not in Israel? What do people assume the reasons are for not going to Israel?

It used to be considered a strange thing for a girl to stay in the US. Nowadays, it has become somewhat more accepted. Some people are more judgmental about it than others.

Some people will be alright with it but they might ask references if they know the reason why she didn't want to go to Eretz Yisorel.

It might be that what will matter some people, is what kind of US seminary she went to.

Either way, I think it would be unfair for someone to reject a girl just because she didn't go to Eretz Yisroel.
I hope it's not common for someone to do that!

little neshamala

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:19 am
Cressel68 wrote:
It used to be considered a strange thing for a girl to stay in the US. Nowadays, it has become somewhat more accepted. Some people are more judgmental about it than others.

Some people will be alright with it but they might ask references if they know the reason why she didn't want to go to Eretz Yisorel.

It might be that what will matter some people, is what kind of US seminary she went to.

Either way, I think it would be unfair for someone to reject a girl just because she didn't go to Eretz Yisroel.
I hope it's not common for someone to do that!

Agreed.
Maybe it used to be considered weird but I dont think it is anymore. I know quite a few girls who didnt got to EY for seminary (recently), and theyre all great girls, and I dont think people look at them strangely for that.
I know I certainly dont, I wouldnt give it a second thought

amother
DarkViolet

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 10:26 am
It will usually bring a question of why. You just need to have an answer. People will usually pay more attention to what the reasoning is than to her not going. If she is still going to seminary, and you have a reference on the resume from there, that's good- my experience is that if she goes local, people like seeing a maintained relationship with the school or someone from it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 25 2023, 8:18 pm
Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info