Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
People healthy and fit into their 80s, is it luck or diet, e
1  2  Next

People who are healthy and fit, well into their 80s, is it more Mazel or other factors?
Yes, its other factors like eating healthy and being calm.  
 36%  [ 25 ]
No, it's Mazel. Everyone's lifespan is decided above.  
 45%  [ 31 ]
Other, please specify.  
 17%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 68

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:45 pm
People who are healthy and fit, well into their 80s, is it more luck, or more diet, or other factors, etc?

I know genes play an important role, but how much does diet really play a role in longevity?

Is there a commonality in people who look and feel good in their 80s?

Ive heard many people say they owe their longevity to never getting nervous about things.

Are they just lucky to have had a calm blessed life?

Is it more Mazel or other factors? We are commanded "V'Nishmartem Me'od l'Nafshoteichem" which I believe refers to health.

We cant change our genes.

What can we change to increase our potential for longevity?

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:52 pm
Mostly genetic.

(Of course preordained from Above, but lefi derech hateva, genetics).

chany3

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:00 pm
I think its lifestyle, even people with different chronic illnesses in there family, could choose to make the lifestyle changes they need in order to live a healthy, happy and productive life even when they are in their 80's. Of course having a healthy lifestyle does not necessarily promise a long and healthy life, but it definitely increases the chances!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:06 pm
Have any diets been linked and researched as increasing longevity?

s c

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:08 pm
I agree mostly genetics and what's destined from above. We obviously have to do our histadlus and live healthily but we are not in complete control. How often do you hear of people who ate and exercised and did all rhe right things but they get ill amd similarly people who did all the wrong things and lived a long life. (My father o'h smoked a lot every day of his life from about 20 and lived a healthy life till his late 80s). Also people who miraculously survive terrible disasters because it wasn't their time to go. So we have to do our best in a balanced way but we shouldn't become obsessed because ultimately its just not in our control.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Have any diets been linked and researched as increasing longevity?
Read up on blue zones

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:20 pm
Mostly genetics.

If your parents lived long and were healthy, good chance for you.

In addition to healthy diet (low sugar, carbs.
Seed oil) and lots of veggies

Being a HAPPY person is very important to
Good health and long life.

Chofetz Chaim says avoiding Lishon Horah,
Which includes avoiding jealousy.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:25 pm
It's mostly genetics. My grandfather ah lived to 84 and he took terrible care of himself. My mom spent half her life thinking her dad was going to drop dead any minute, but it didn't happen. He had health problems from his poor diet and sedentary lifestyle, but nothing catastrophic ever happened, he just lived with it and just began a natural decline in his 80s and eventually his life ended. He never changed his habits, enjoyed his double bacon cheeseburgers (he wasn't frum) right up until the end. Maybe he would have lived longer if he'd taken better care of himself, but maybe not. And if he did, realistically, how many years would it have bought him? Who knows. Honestly, anyone over 80 is on borrowed time.

My father's parents took decent care of themselves though definitely not perfectly, they certainly enjoyed life and they weren't super thin, but weren't large either. Grandfather died from cancer in his early 70s, grandmother passed from natural old age at 92. There's really no knowing, ultimately, Hashem is in charge.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:27 pm
I think diet & lifestyle have significant effect on quality of life & only somewhat of an effect on longevity but it's not the main factor of longevity.

This doesn't include being specifically exposed to toxic substances like mold or burn pits that can cause illness.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:28 pm
People with good genes won't have to do anything special, but people with bad genes can work around their genes if they work very hard.

Most diseases of old age like arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, dementia, cancers are western diseases, which by definition means very much influenced by lifestyle.

mfb

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:29 pm
amother Denim wrote:
It's mostly genetics. My grandfather ah lived to 84 and he took terrible care of himself. My mom spent half her life thinking her dad was going to drop dead any minute, but it didn't happen. He had health problems from his poor diet and sedentary lifestyle, but nothing catastrophic ever happened, he just lived with it and just began a natural decline in his 80s and eventually his life ended. He never changed his habits, enjoyed his double bacon cheeseburgers (he wasn't frum) right up until the end. Maybe he would have lived longer if he'd taken better care of himself, but maybe not. And if he did, realistically, how many years would it have bought him? Who knows. Honestly, anyone over 80 is on borrowed time.

My father's parents took decent care of themselves though definitely not perfectly, they certainly enjoyed life and they weren't super thin, but weren't large either. Grandfather died from cancer in his early 70s, grandmother passed from natural old age at 92. There's really no knowing, ultimately, Hashem is in charge.

Curious how old you are that you say anyone over 80 is on borrowed time. I have a bunch of grandparents that lived healthy and well into their 90’s

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:41 pm
mfb wrote:
Curious how old you are that you say anyone over 80 is on borrowed time. I have a bunch of grandparents that lived healthy and well into their 90’s

Average life expectancy in most first world countries is usually somewhere in the early 80s, and that needle hasn't moved in decades. Not that many people in the world make it to over 90. If you have multiple family members who did, that just goes to show there's a genetic component. I also have a number of relatives who lived into their 90s, but not that many. Most people I know don't have tons of relatives living well into their 90s, they have a few, but 80s being much more common. And once you've made it to your 80s, it's unlikely anything you do or don't do is going to make a difference.

mfb

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:44 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Average life expectancy in most first world countries is usually somewhere in the early 80s, and that needle hasn't moved in decades. Not that many people in the world make it to over 90. If you have multiple family members who did, that just goes to show there's a genetic component. I also have a number of relatives who lived into their 90s, but not that many. Most people I know don't have tons of relatives living well into their 90s, they have a few, but 80s being much more common. And once you've made it to your 80s, it's unlikely anything you do or don't do is going to make a difference.

Not genetic because it’s 4 grandparents from different sides not related.

malky12

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:47 pm
first of all is a healthy lifestyle, and then you need mazel

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:57 pm
mfb wrote:
Not genetic because it’s 4 grandparents from different sides not related.

That doesn't mean it's not genetic. How long did their siblings live?

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 1:58 pm
Some factors can give or take like smoking but for the most part genes, hands down. And yad hashem of course.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:08 pm
It’s not only living, it’s also quality of life. If you want to have mobility and balance then you need to move around a lot when you’re younger.

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:15 pm
My grandmother lived to the age of 100. She lived on bread and butter. Loved carbs, didnt eat much vegetables. She was independent and healthy until the end.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:16 pm
Medical researchers have been studying this for decades and they still don't have an answer more exact than "it's a combination of factors including genetics, nutrition, lifestyle, environment, mental attitude and dumb luck." Scientists are studying Holocaust survivors, who tend to be exceptionally long-lived. One hypothesis is that the severe hardships they faced may have turned on survival/longevity genes that would otherwise have remained dormant.

agreer

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
My grandmother lived to the age of 100. She lived on bread and butter. Loved carbs, didnt eat much vegetables. She was independent and healthy until the end.

Halevai by all of us!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise